Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliable feeding of SWC?

ArrDave

So I loaded up some LSWC to see how I liked them. Seem pretty accurate, I really like the recoil impulse. I shot 4 stages last night and had at least 1 round on each stage skip under the extractor then get jammed on the feed ramp as the extractor hit it. It took precious time obviously to clear that so that was no fun. So my question is primarily, is that due to the round being too short where it's coming up at too steep an angle and missing the extractor? Obviously mags play a factor (Checkmate Hybrids) and the gun does as well (Dan Wesson Valor), but my initial question, just thinking it through it seems logical that the ammo is too short. what OAL do you load your LSWC to get them to feed? These are set to 1.225, but due to mixed brass, some wind up a little shorter/a little longer.

Load mine to 1.25 also without any problems. There needs to be some lead from the bullets shoulder above case mouth, otherwise the case mouth hits the feed ramp causing problems.

You also said the case rim "skip under the extractor". Do you mean it didn't slide under it? If so, you also should check the extractor's tension and clearance. It may be too tight, not allowing the cartridge to slide under it with the greater angle of using lswc. I have mine with a lot of clearance, and never have a problem.

These are set to 1.225, but due to mixed brass, some wind up a little shorter/a little longer.

I'm not sure I follow how mixed brass would affect seating depth of the bullet.

The back of the case is against the shell plate and the seating die is against the bullet, so case length should have no relevance. So how does mixed brass make a difference?

These are set to 1.225, but due to mixed brass, some wind up a little shorter/a little longer.

The back of the case is against the shell plate and the seating die is against the bullet, so case length should have no relevance. So how does mixed brass make a difference?

There is a variance of +/- .005 with most probably falling between +/- .003 on all of my ammo. I'm very consistent with my stroke, I really can't explain why.

There's flex in the shell plate on a progressive. Brass which is harder to resize flexes the sizing station side of the plate down more and results in a longer OAL. Vice versa with brass that's easier to size.

OP - post a pic of a loaded round. Generally loading SWCs you should not be loading to a book length unless the book data is based on the exact mold of the SWC you're using. You should set OAL based on exposed bullet shoulder above the case mouth. You want 1-3 business cards worth of bullet shoulder exposed. There are many different SWC profiles - even for 200 GR .45 SWCs. One size does not fit all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's flex in the shell plate on a progressive. Brass which is harder to resize flexes the sizing station side of the plate down more and results in a longer OAL. Vice versa with brass that's easier to size.

OP - post a pic of a loaded round. Generally loading SWCs you should not be loading to a book length unless the book data is based on the exact mold of the SWC you're using. You should set OAL based on exposed bullet shoulder above the case mouth. You want 1-3 business cards worth of bullet shoulder exposed. There are many different SWC profiles - even for 200 GR .45 SWCs. One size does not fit all.

I don't have some rounds handy, but I'm not at 1-3 business card lengths of shoulder... At 1.225 it just barely clears, it's visible, but not by alot. I suspect at 1.24 it would get me there comfortably. I don't have much experience loading SWC, but I do very much like the accuracy, beautiful big hole, and recoil impulse of the 200 grain projectile.

I don't have some rounds handy, but I'm not at 1-3 business card lengths of shoulder... At 1.225 it just barely clears, it's visible, but not by alot. I suspect at 1.24 it would get me there comfortably. I don't have much experience loading SWC, but I do very much like the accuracy, beautiful big hole, and recoil impulse of the 200 grain projectile.

Checkout the thread called .45 issues under .44/45 reloading.

post-51170-144016799317_thumb.jpg

Just as Peter mentions.... For SWC style bullets, let the OAL be set by the individual bullet design. Focus on setting the seater die to leave a 'thumbnail' thickness ( 3 business cards, aka 0.5mm-1.5mm) of bullet shoulder above the case. Don't cut it too close because stacking tolerences can leave you with bullet shoulders inside or even with the case.

Which bullet are you loading ?

Blue Bullets 200 gr LSWC.

I would ask them what they recommend for an OAL. In looking at the profile from the picture they have online, they look different than the traditional H&G68.

775-200SWC-45-1.jpgC%2045%20200%20SWC%202s-230x230.JPG

Edited by warpspeed

When I was loading Blue Bullets 200gr SWC, I ended up at 1.224 for reliable feeding. Even then I would have the occasional hiccup (about once per 200 rounds) and just went back to the Blue Bullets 230gr RNFP which run 100% for me.

Edited by techj

When I used SWC in in my SS gun I loaded out to 1.260. I was having 3 point jams. I got my barrel throated and started loading to there and the problem went away.

I had a new shiny barrel in my gun, I just had it throated and test fired 120 rounds, no issues. Also unearthed that I'm not using enough crimp and that was exacerbating the problem.

Plunk test is dropping loaded round into barrel. Some include drop in and spin, drop spin and bullet drops out....

+1 on plunk

+1 on 1.25. I load blue bullets. The 200 gr swc is most reliable I've found so far.

+1 on crimp ... Without further info I'm betting your issue is here..... Don't ask me why......

Sharpie test failed bullets. And sharpie test random to see if you can find fault

Clean and lube gun well, how dirty is gun since jamming

Pics of jam

How old and what weight recoil spring

Have you measured cases after sizing. ... Case length

Do your loaded cartridge pass roll test , cocentric

How many times have cases been fired Are certain head stamps causing issue

Edited by biglou13

Many times, this is a magazine issue (when the magazine lips release the round for feeding).

I prefer my .45 L-SWCs to just barely touch the lede/rifling. Never had any feeding issues in almost 35 years (after I junked the cheap GI magazines that were around then). Try some other magazine. The lips should release the round at about the halfway point along the lip.

In terms of COL, in general, if the round jams in the feed ramp, the COL is too long and if the round jams in the barrel/barrel hood, the COL is too short.