Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a VIP at auction

LegionShooter

I won the top bid for an STI VIP 9mm at an online bankruptcy auction today. It was what I would consider significantly modified. The slide had front cocking serrations milled into it, and had slide lightening cuts milled in the top (not all the way through, just some taken off). The rear of the slide also had lightening done where the rear serrations were at, by way of the removal of some of them. The slide has been refinished in what looks like an Ion Bond black or similar coating. The big thing that drew my attention was the STI grip had been replaced by an SVI Compact Carry, single undercut, micro pocket grip and black SV trigger shoe. Gun came with the hard case and two magazines and the work looks pretty professional, at least from the pics. Is there any way to determine the date of manufacture of the grip? Is there a SN I will be able to find on it somewhere? I'm going to see if STI can tell me when the original gun was produced.

What did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I never thought to check online bankruptcy auctions

I got it for $850 so I'm pretty happy with that. Picked it up today and there was more machine work than I noticed in the pics. The slide has been trip-topped and the leading edges of the slide and frame have all been machined at an angle, I assume to keep from snagging on a reholster, although the gun doesn't look like it's seen more than a box of ammo let alone a holster.