Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

V8 popple holes or vertical or both

limited shtr

Small popple hole for sure on a 9mm, I would choose vertical, simple because you wouldn't want a v6 or v8 to many holes make it tuff to stay major.

x2

I would consider a v4 or a v6 at most with a mid to full length barrel in 9mm.

I tend to agree with Eric, but unfortunately he hasn't made a comp for my Tanfoglios yet so I'm stuck drilling holes to make up for subpar comps!?!

The Tanfo V12 Gold Team is the extreme example:

EAAGOLDtop_zps7edae07d.jpg

Two tiny ports in the comp and 12 holes to make up for it. It takes 8-10% more powder to make the same velocity as a barrel w/o holes. It makes sense to me you get the same downward force from one hole at 12 o'clock as two of the same size at 45 degree angles to one another with half the powder loss. I tested this with my custom "Y7 Gold Team":

_20141101_225509_zpsmmdaqzdg.jpg

I'm pleased to report it shoots flatter than the V12 and uses less powder (3-4% more than a barrel w/o holes).

My best comp so far for Tanfoglio is this modified three port on the left, to which I plan to add 3-4 holes at 12 o'clock:

Tanfo%20Comps_zpsoytnv5ko.jpg

I own a dozen Open guns, have shot a lot of comps, and have opined the only advantage to V pattern ports is looks and maybe a little less flame in your line of sight. Any holes I add to my guns go straight up from now on.

Speaking of holes I notice sv have their holes angled 10 degrees backwards? Any thoughts on this? Makes sense to me to try and pull the gun forward. One of the benefits of baffles in a comp is that it delays the unlocking of barrel and slide to supposedly get better accuracy. The holes angled back may help accomplish something similar?

Gunna try 3 5/32 inch holes on my custom open. With comp very similar to a trubor comp. will be doing the 10 degree rearwards angle.

Yet another point is I notice sv add kind of a countersunk type hole/funnel shape to their holes in their island barrel open guns. Ck arms do the same but on their regular bull barrels so the 'funnel' is very shallow. Tanfoglio on the other hand are just straight drilled holes.

I have another point to consider about porting barrels. Can you just drill them in a drill press/mill? In that case how do you deal with burrs inside? Some say the push a bullet down the bore to that point and drill in and into the bullet. Others do stuff like Magna porting or edm the holes. Thoughts? I think I've seen it done a number of those ways and simply drilling the holes seems to work fine if done with a minimum of care. I'm pretty sure the tanfoglio gold team holes are just drilled.

Final point to consider. Some say you need to be careful about how the holes interact with the rifling. That is you don't want to be cutting any of the lands only in a groove. Depending on hole size and number of holes and their placement this might not be possible. I'm fairly sure all the guns with v6, v8, v12 etc holes have holes cutting into both lands and grooves. I know both the v8 and v12 gold teams do. It doesn't seem to hurt accuracy in those guns at all. My v12 for instance still holds a very decent group.

I'm interested to hear others opinions on these questions. It's an interesting topic. To my mind all the 'flattest' guns I've seen ran a combination of some barrel holes with a decent comp. the svi imm's with 3 large holes and a smallish comp shoot very nicely. The new akais with gill comp and v8 holes seem to shoot super flat (haven't tried one myself). Even the tanfog gold teams shoot very flat with a load pushing enough gas to work all the holes and the comp. I've seen guns with just a comp shoot very flat too, but often it's from a shooter with a great grip. In general it seems to me that compd guns shoot softer with a little more muzzle lift. Compd and pirted guns are louder and push harder in the hand and if not setup right can have sideways oscillation but they do seem to sit flatter for the average joe.

A number of the popular opens have holes these days. Svi, Akai, cheely/ck just for starters.

• 6 months later...

My STI has 2 popples just behind the comp almost at the threading point. My slide has a U shaped milled slot and I love shooting it that way. Nice and flat for me and they are straight milled holes, no bevel. I'd be curious to see how a beveled hole or a slight angle forward or backward would change the feel.