Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you use more than 1 ammo, which do you zero with?

Tuflehundon

I know I have heard a few here say they use more than one ammo in their rifles. Like 55's for 300 and in, and 69's or 77's for 300 and out. I have settled in 55gr Hornady for 300 and in, and 68gr Hornady for 300 and out. 77's didn't do well in my gun.

If you use more than one ammo, whic one do you zero with? I am debating. 80% of my shots will be 300 and closer. So right now I am zeroed for that. My 68's hit 1 1/2" high, and 1/2" left from my 55gr zero.

Should I zero with the 55's and know the hold?

Should I zero with the 68's ad know the hold?

Or should I use the 55gr zero and dial in 6 clicks up and 2 clicks left when I use the 68's? (MOA scope with 1/4MOA clicks)

I zero at 200 with 69gr match. For stages 0 - 200 yards I shoot PMC 55gr. If there are targets farther than 200 I shoot 69gr.

Pretty much this. I load 68gr Hornady's so with a 200 yard zero they match my reticle's hashes out to 500yards.

Then for close range I throw some powder under some 55's and shoot it, because the difference is negligible, but I don't take those past 100-150 yards.

I shoot local matches and have the scope set for a 68 gr Hornady load and shoot that on long range stages. I shoot cheaper 55 or 62 gr loads on the hoser/CQB distance stages.

Edited by ben b.

I spent the last 8 years shooting 55s on short stuff and Black Hills 68s on the long stuff. I zeroed with the 68s and the 55s were close enough on 200 and shorter targets. This year I decided to just use PMC Bronze 55s on everything and have had no problems making hits out to 550 yards. The PMC seems to work very well in my JP 20" barrel which was not the case with the other garbage 55s that I had shot in the past. Really makes life easier with just one load.

Doug

I've been doing the heavy (75 grain) for my zero and then using some form of 55 grain as in close hoser ammo. However, I'm about to just chuck that idea and try using one load.

My needs for long range precision rifle are driving me into handloading so I'll cook up a load for my 3-gun rifle once I complete the redesign.