Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA 2011 for open

WidowsSon683

So I want to get into open division, but I cant really afford a name brand open gun right now. Has anybody ever turned a Rock Island Armory 9mm hicap into an open gun, or a Para p18.9? I can get either for under $1000. I was thinking of fitting a trubor barrel to whichever one I choose, putting a mount, optic and *thumb rest [generic]* and get a good trigger job done. Mags aren't a problem. Does anybody have any insights or direction for me.

I orginally planned to do the same thing. I am currently shooting a rock 2011 in limited. For the money it is hard to beat. As for open, weight might be the only draw back, they are heavy guns. But fur the price savings you can buy a lot of ammo to practice.

Don't know if this helps or not, but I turned a RIA 1911 into a open steel gun. It has about 3000 rounds through it, so far so good. No cracks at the sight mount screws. I put a comp. on it and had a friend lighten the slide, it runs fairly good.

Watch for a used one on here.

Steve, I have not seen a used one on here for less than $2500 ish. I am trying to keep the cost to a minimum if at all possible.

Take Steve's advice. I bought a used open gun in awesome condition for $1350 and then 6 months later a like new grandmaster for $2300. You just have keep a vigilant eye on the classifieds and gunbroker. I sold my paras and couldn't be happier.

I went the Para/RIA route too and am trying to sell them now to fund an open 9 major purchase. There is a reason not to many people shot RIA/Para for what we do

I would venture a lot of that has to do with aftermarket product support. It is heavy, but it stays flat. I think the biggest drawback is the avaibility of parts and mags, not the actual gun themselves. Most open guns are frankenguns anyway.

Edited by Mahlsan

• 4 weeks later...