Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Caliber Carbine Division

ZackJones

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only a problem if the club host has a 1350 FPS limit on shooting steel and quite a few do (mine, PSA, York IWLA, and a few others I have shot at). I think they sometimes look the other way for USPSA matches but not for steel at close range.

Edited by photoracer

Its only a problem if the club host has a 1350 FPS limit on shooting steel and quite a few do (mine, PSA, York IWLA, and a few others I have shot at). I think they sometimes look the other way for USPSA matches but not for steel at close range.

They must have some cheap soft steel. AR 500 only loses a little paint when shot with the hottest open loads

• 3 weeks later...

There is a website called "Ballistics by the inch" that is also pretty informative on this subject and also shows what pmd illustrated, that when it comes to 9mm, after about 5 or 6 inches length doesn't matter much:-)

I have been curious as to Carbine velocities vs. pistol so I did some load testing yesterday.

Temp was about 57 degrees.

How dare you bring actual measured data into a internet discussion??? :devil:

Thanks for the work! Can you describe the open gun? Does it have popple holes? If so, how much barrel before the holes?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

I have been curious as to Carbine velocities vs. pistol so I did some load testing yesterday.

Temp was about 57 degrees.

How dare you bring actual measured data into a internet discussion??? :devil:

Thanks for the work! Can you describe the open gun? Does it have popple holes? If so, how much barrel before the holes?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Schuemann Classic with three port comp. no popples.

I can't wait to see how my JP GMR times compair to pistol. I would think a wash in steel challenge and a little slower in USPSA.

Does that mean you're going to come to a match next year :). AFAIK we'll get to start shooting PCC in February.

In my case I shoot the rimfire rifle faster than the pistol. My buddy Mike S. shoots about the same with both as do many under about 50 YO. I see that many in the Senior or Super Senior tend to shoot the rifle faster because its easier to hold steady and move as you get older.

I'm not a computer guy Zack what does AFAIK stand for? I know I only shot STEEL CHALLENGE once last year at MCRC. I did win limited and open. I believe the rifle is faster on the harder stages and pistol on the burners like smoke and hope, round about and show down.

Edited by Onepocket

I'm not a computer guy Zack what does AFAIK stand for? I know I only shot STEEL CHALLENGE once last year at MCRC. I did win limited and open. I believe the rifle is faster on the harder stages and pistol on the burners like smoke and hope, round about and show down.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

So for a carbine what is the consensus on weight? Do we want them super light and nimble? Or do we want them heavier to soak up what little recoil the is? I really like the looks of the Diamondhead 13.5 hand guard but it weighs just under a pound. Would I be better served by light carbon fiber?

That makes three people Zack that got a carbine at our club and its not even approved yet. I think pro am with the gun will be a blast.

I know of a couple of other guys that have 'em as well so we may have a decent turnout for it. Interesting you should mention pro am. They announced the dates for the match next year on Facebook and I asked about PCC for the match. They said they weren't going to have it. Only open and limited :(.

So for a carbine what is the consensus on weight? Do we want them super light and nimble? Or do we want them heavier to soak up what little recoil the is? I really like the looks of the Diamondhead 13.5 hand guard but it weighs just under a pound. Would I be better served by light carbon fiber?

I'm going to start out with mine stock out of the box. After a few matches I'll probably start upgrading it. I'm not certain if standard AR fore grip will fit my JR carbine. I think it will but I'm not 100% certain.