Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber conversion vs. Square Deal "B"

I have a 650 set up to load 40. It has been amazing for thousands of rounds thanks to my good friend Lee Neel who set it up for me. Now that I'm shooting some production, carrying 9mms at work and such, I need to start reloading 9mm. Which would be the easier/faster set up, a caliber conversion for the 650 or buying a Square Deal "B" set up for 9mm?

I have a 650 and two Square Deal B's.

650 for .45ACP and I have everything for a 9mm conversion, but just never did it.

I load 9mm on one SDB and .40 on the other SDB.

I don't have to do any conversions that way.

650 for .45ACP and I have everything for a 9mm conversion, but just never did it.

So, how does the SDB compare to the 650 in reliability and ease of loading? I'm guessing from what you did, the PITA of a caliber conversion doesn't make it worth it

I don't load in great quantity, so I can load what I need in 9mm in about the time it would take to convert the .45 ACP XL650 to small primer and set it up for 9mm. Then I would decide to shoot .45 next time and have to convert it all back again...

Actually, i bought a new Square Deal in .45 first, then a 9mm conversion for it. Encountered the problem above, so I ran across another used Square Deal for a good price and bought it so i could have one for large primer, and one for small primer.

Soon after, a friend showed up with a well equipped XL650 someone at his Church was selling as they were getting out of re-loading, so I grabbed it.

I liked the Square Deals so much I couldn't stand to sell them, so I just use them. Other then encountering a few crimped primer cases, I've never had an issue with them. They just run smooth and spit out consistent ammo. Not quite as fast as the 650, but I don't do big volume, so it's more of a convenience thing.

So, how does the SDB compare to the 650 in reliability and ease of loading? I'm guessing from what you did, the PITA of a caliber conversion doesn't make it worth it

It depends on your hand size and how many rounds you like to reload in a session. I have a SDB as the "large primer conversion" for my 1050 and use it to load .45s. I have medium size hands and the SDB is a little short on finger room but it doesn't bother me until I do more than 200 rounds at a sitting. I don't shoot .45 much so it works for me to walk up, add powder and primers, and load 100 or so. If you like to load in larger batches I'd go for the caliber conversion.

I have a 650 set up to load 40. It has been amazing for thousands of rounds thanks to my good friend Lee Neel who set it up for me. Now that I'm shooting some production, carrying 9mms at work and such, I need to start reloading 9mm. Which would be the easier/faster set up, a caliber conversion for the 650 or buying a Square Deal "B" set up for 9mm?

You probably have the small casefeeder plate already, it does 40 as well as 45, but if you know you have the large than that is an expense

You are not changing the primer set up, so ignore half the work

I have a dedicated tool head for 9 and one for 40 with powder drop, so conversion is fast. Just a few parts

Edited by cnote

You probably have the small casefeeder plate already, it does 40 as well as 45, but if you know you have the large than that is an expense

You are not changing the primer set up, so ignore half the work

I have a dedicated tool head for 9 and one for 40 with powder drop, so conversion is fast. Just a few parts

And a conversion doesn't take up table space like an additional press does

Which would be the easier/faster set up, a caliber conversion for the 650 or buying a Square Deal "B" set up for 9mm?

Well it would be easier to switch from the 650 set up to an SD setup vs doing a caliber conversion on the 650. I can go from loading on one press to another in two seconds converting a press will take a few minutes.

That said I can load 100 rounds on a 650 in under 4 min and the same 100 on one of my SD's takes over nine minutes and is more "work".

I would get the conversion and have Lee show you how to set it up and swap it over.

The SD is a nice press for pistol, but it is a little crowded around the shell plate. I got one as product 14 years ago and have left it set up for 9mm, which is mostly what I shoot. My other press is one of the first 550s, with 3 tool heads for .223 Rem, .357SIG, and a spare 9mm. I hate reloading as much as cleaning guns, so I only manage about 200 rounds at a time. But 2 times a week stays ahead of the match. The hot tip for a SD is to run the 650 primer drop tube. It has a brass tip and doesn't screw up like the plastic ones that come with it. Buddy of mine gave me his small primer tube from his 650 and it has been running on my SD for several years without primer issues.

If I were to start over I would get an InlineFabrication "Ultramount" with the Quick Change set up plates.

I would get the Quick Change Mounting Plates to fit 3 Square Deals ,

45ACP Square Deal, 9MM Square Deal, and a 38 Special Square Deal.

I don't have a hand issue with the machine.

Later on I would have considered a 4th machine in 40S&W.

So, all I need is the Deluxe Quick change kit, which includes the Tool head, powder die, powder funnel and stand along with a set of Dillon Carbide dies, right? $172.90 plus shipping on Enos. It indicates the casefeeder plate will work for both 40 and 9mm, so I should be good to go.

Sound about right, a caliber conversion for the new caliber will have the casefeeder adapters, different from the plate

When in doubt, reach out to brian or Dillon

Edited by cnote

That's more like it.

I was looking to do the same when I ran across the second Square Deal set up for the caliber I wanted and pretty much new in the box for $275.00.

Space wasn't a problem, so all I have to do is sit down and load without converting anything.

The caliber conversion should only be about $75.

Dies cost whatever you spend on them. I have cheap Lee dies that were $30 from amazon.

A new tool head is strongly recommended. $27

You really don't need the extra powder measure. You can use the same one for 9 and. 40 if you use the same powder, you can usually find a bullet weight where you don't even adjust the measure. This is what I do and it's awesome.

Primers are both spp so you are golden.

Case feed plate, the large Pistol works on 9mm just as well as the small pistol.

You also need 1 or 2 powder through dies for the powder drop and the powder check if you use one.