Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wrong weights?

FortyOverUnder

I assume it is 180 grain. That's not much. I would be more concerned with consistency. That is why you start low and work up toward maximum. I weighed a 45-70 bullet yesterday that should be 405 grain. It was almost 415.

If you want, sort your bullets by weight and test and prove to yourself that it doesn't matter--unless you are cutting PF so fine that a couple grains could somehow make a difference.

If you worry, get swaged/coated bullets from Precision Bullets--very consistent and accurate.

• 5 weeks later...

If the weight is consistent it's not an issue. If it's inconsistent that can be a problem. All sorts of things go into how much a bullet's going to weigh, the particular alloy they used at the time, the coating, all of it. A lot of mold weights given are only true for certain alloys, and sometimes they're more nominal weights than anything.

Edited by thermobollocks

Have you calibrated your scale? I use the Chargemaster and it can vary quite a bit. Turn it on a 1/2-1 hour before you are going to use it, and calibrate it every time before starting to weigh. That is how I get consistency with mine. If I just turn it on and immediately use it the weight will be all over the place. I like the system, but it does have its quirks and being on for a bit seems to help the most. My scale is usually off a couple of tenths until it gets warmed up, I imagine you have some heavy bullets. Use 180 as a baseline for your power factor and you will not have any surprises at the chrono station.

I know the xtremes I use can be off by a couple grains sometimes but I never worried about it too much. Just chalked it up to slight differences in materials. I stay away from max loads so a couple a grains in a bullet doesn't worry me too much. I never understood pushing a cartridge so hard, if you need more power select a different cartridge. I like my fingers way too well.

I know the xtremes I use can be off by a couple grains sometimes but I never worried about it too much. Just chalked it up to slight differences in materials. I stay away from max loads so a couple a grains in a bullet doesn't worry me too much. I never understood pushing a cartridge so hard, if you need more power select a different cartridge. I like my fingers way too well.

I just ordered some xtremes. It will be my first time loading them. How do you like them vs Berrys or Rainiers?

I just ordered some xtremes. It will be my first time loading them. How do you like them vs Berrys or Rainiers?

I can't comment on the Berrys or the Raniers as I have never loaded either one of those. With the xtremes though, I have got just as good of accuracy of anything that I've ever bought factory wise. That is more than good enough for me in a pistol. I don't shoot competition though, so it might make those guys more of a difference I don't know.

I used to shoot a bunch of Bear Creek and my 180 gr were all around 182 gr if I remember. They all shot great and had pretty consistent bullet weights.

To put this in perspective, 183 grains is just 1.67% increase over advertised weight!

You got an extra 3 grains for free! (as opposed to the owners or BMW R1200GS motorcycles, they only got 1170 cc displacement, a 2.5% ripoff!)

I used to shoot a bunch of Bear Creek and my 180 gr were all around 182 gr if I remember. They all shot great and had pretty consistent bullet weights.

To put this in perspective, 183 grains is just 1.67% increase over advertised weight!

You got an extra 3 grains for free! (as opposed to the owners or BMW R1200GS motorcycles, they only got 1170 cc displacement, a 2.5% ripoff!)

Haha now there is a great way to look at it.