Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CZ - length of pull issue on the first DA, and sharp beaver tail

MilkMyDuds

Just got the new CZ SP01 Shadow from CZC. Love nearly all aspects of the gun except 2 things:

1. With the webbing tightly pressed on the beaver tail, my trigger finger could barely reach the trigger. I had Stuart install the pre B combat trigger. I think it has the very short reset, but it did not help the first DA pull. With only the tip of my trigger finger on the trigger, the first DA pull is wobbly as hell.

I know my hands are really small, 6.5 inches from the tip of my middle finger to the base of my palm. Did anyone else have this issue? How to train to overcome this problem?

2. Still with the webbing firmly pressed upon the beaver tail, the thumb is pretty much "cut" at the base, because the beaver tail is thin and sharp. Coming from MP9 where the beaver tail is round and smooth and plastic all that, the skin in that area is already gone after 50 rounds or so on the CZ. I have to put a bandit on to continue. I know break-in is required for any new platform. Is there any workaround or training I can do to help?

Thanks for your input.

I got the czc thin aluminum grips. I tried the vz diamondbacks and they are a bit thicker.

The only option I could find online is the CGW reach reduction kit, but it would render the gun production illegal.

Seems CZs not compatible with small hands/shot fingers.

I got the 85 combat new style trigger that already has the same profile as the recurve trigger. Just called Stuart and confirmed that.

Any other tips to help reduce the trigger reach?

Also, does anyone else feel the cutting pain of the beavertail on the webbing of your hands when you grip as high as possible? Anyway to dull that pain (short of bandits, etc.)?

I have no idea why you are having beavertail issues. Unless your gun has burrs in that area it should be fairly smooth. Maybe some pics of your issue would help?

Your hands appear to be smaller than mine and I can barely reach the trigger in DA mode and there is no way I can reach the magazine release with my thumb.

There is no decent way to reduce the length of pull in the DA mode and still stay in production. You could just use the safety and run in Limited or ESP.

I have no idea why you are having beavertail issues. Unless your gun has burrs in that area it should be fairly smooth. Maybe some pics of your issue would help?

Here is the cut feeling I was referring to. I think it is because of the sharp profile of the beavertail on CZ vs. the round profile on my current platform (MP9s). Overtime I believe I should be able to overcome it once the callus forms.

post-56818-0-67093000-1438701632_thumb.j

post-56818-0-52128100-1438701639_thumb.j

post-56818-0-80766600-1438701652_thumb.j

Here is the cut feeling I was referring to. I think it is because of the sharp profile of the beavertail on CZ vs. the round profile on my current platform (MP9s). Overtime I believe I should be able to overcome it once the callus forms.

Yep, I have a visible callus right there.

Eric

I too have small hands (same measurements you quoted), and I can reach the DA no problem on my Accu. Maybe roll your grip slightly? I can duplicate what you show in the photos, but if I roll my grip slightly from what you show I can reach the trigger. Which must be what I always do, as I've never had the issue you describe. I have to roll it back to reach the mag release though, which has always been my issue.

I too have small hands (same measurements you quoted), and I can reach the DA no problem on my Accu. Maybe roll your grip slightly? I can duplicate what you show in the photos, but if I roll my grip slightly from what you show I can reach the trigger. Which must be what I always do, as I've never had the issue you describe. I have to roll it back to reach the mag release though, which has always been my issue.

Yes i can lower the grip to reach the DA trigger, but it would destroy the high grip. The pics show if I lower my grip, the distance from the beavertail to the trigger will be a horizontal line thus is less. With the highest grip possible (e.g. pressing your webbing into the beavertail), there is a bit more distance from the webbing to the trigger because it is more a diagonal line.

Don't give up on the CZ brand. Maybe you can run a CZ 75 SA Shadow. I have one and it is divine......

I am 100% with you on the greatness of the SA. It grips really well (if I am not trying to reach the DA trigger, and imagine a big callus is already at the contact point with the beavertail). My short thumb can even reach the extended mag release button without having to rotate the grip, which no other viable guns can do.

Add a decocker and have your da start at half cock? Not sure how much that shortens it.

Half cocked is about 3-5mm closer. Definitely will help. I am looking into that.

You're going to have to get an SP01 tactical if you want a decocker. This means a new gun...(the sear cage and innards of a CZ75 decocker is a bit different than a safety). You won't be able to get a reset like you would on a shadow since the SP01 tacticals have a firing pin block (assuming you want to stay production legal).

Add a decocker and have your da start at half cock? Not sure how much that shortens it.

Half cocked is about 3-5mm closer. Definitely will help. I am looking into that.

You're going to have to get an SP01 tactical if you want a decocker. This means a new gun...(the sear cage and innards of a CZ75 decocker is a bit different than a safety). You won't be able to get a reset like you would on a shadow since the SP01 tacticals have a firing pin block (assuming you want to stay production legal).

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214500&hl=