Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding T-7...maybe, maybe not.

New to reloading and ready to my first press. I will only be reloading for 45LC and 9mm. No rifle rounds (other than 22LR) and just casual shooting at the range. No competition. My shooting volume is very low, something in the neighborhood of 150 rds/month.

I poured over untold numbers of reloading forums and YouTube videos and was convinced that I would get a Forster Co Ax. I've since migrated over to the T-7 camp. I'm not interested in a progressive of any stripe including the Dillon BL 550. I'd rather focus on each phase of reloading and take my time. I neither need nor want to produce lots of ammo. If, at a later date, a Dillon is in cards, so be it. I'll just get it but for now it's not in the cards.

Given the above would the Redding T-7 be my best bet or was my original assessment of the Co Ax more on target?

The co-ax is a premier single stage for reloading precision rifle rounds, but might be a bit overkill for 9mm and 45LC. The redding would be a great press as well, but if I may suggest a cheaper and easier route.

I would look into getting a RCBS Rockchucker kit. This comes with a solid press, a good powder measure and a great scale. Get a set of calipers and dies and you will be ready to rock. Now pick up a set of hornady locking die rings, and you can set the dies once and just unscrew one die and replace it with the next step with nothing more than a verification of settings. This will allow you to change dies in 30 seconds and be ready to rock and roll. This is the way I started and I was able to load 100 rounds/hr without too much trouble. Single stages are all about economy of motion. Eventually my ammo needs justified the purchase of a progressive press, but if I was shooting 150 rounds/month I would be perfectly content with the rock chucker (I still use it for several calibers).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/646599/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-single-stage-press-master-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165236200/hornady-sure-loc-die-locking-ring-7-8-14-thread?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Thanks Flight and Guy. I've decided I'm going to spec each item out separately and have done so already. The only thing I haven't nailed down is whether it's a Co Ax or T-1 but it will be one of the those two for sure.

Lee Classic Turret Kit. http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Classic-Turret-Press/dp/B008M5TSCG/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1438359511&sr=1-2&keywords=lee+classic+turret+press

Add the Inline Fabrication case ejector. http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lee/products/case-ejector-for-the-lee-classic-turret-reverse-rotation

You do NOT need a super high dollar press to load 9mm and 45LC. You just need something that is simple and comes with everything you need without breaking the bank.

Edited by Kaldor

I've looked at Lee, RCBS, Dillon, Hornady, and others and everyone makes quality presses. The only two I am interested in are the Co Ax and T-7.

Its your money! ^_^

Between those 2, the T-7 gets my vote. Just a much more flexible press. Dont get me wrong, the CoAx is an awesome press. Id buy one if I was loading match rifle ammo.

For my first press I was torn between the two. I went to the store to buy the T7 but they were sold out and got the Coax instead. In the long run I'm glad I did but in the short term it was a mistake. I had 10k 9mm to load. It was a little slow. I wished I had bought the T7 at the time (I wanted a single stage to learn on instead of a progressive). Now I have two Coax's that I load precision rifle ammo on and two 1050s for everything else.

If I were you and loading 9mm and 45lc and wanted a new turret style id go with the T7

Or a PW or CH if you are open to an H style

....or look around for a Hollywood turret if you want something cool and vintage and don't mind paying a few extra bucks for!

I have both the Coax and the T7. Each tool has its strengths and is capable of producing match grade ammo. Very impressed with the design of the T7 and its ability to produce ammo with minimal run out. Very handy press to have, if have reloaders OCD and want to have several sets of gauges mounted for ease of use.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally decided on a press and got the Forster Co Ax. It was its precision and attention to detail that won me over in the final analysis. I probably won't use all of its horsepower reloading just handgun rounds but that's ok. If I ever need it, I've got it.

Thanks for everyone's help...you guys are great!!!

• 1 month later...

New to reloading and ready to my first press. I will only be reloading for 45LC and 9mm. No rifle rounds (other than 22LR) and just casual shooting at the range. No competition. My shooting volume is very low, something in the neighborhood of 150 rds/month.

I poured over untold numbers of reloading forums and YouTube videos and was convinced that I would get a Forster Co Ax. I've since migrated over to the T-7 camp. I'm not interested in a progressive of any stripe including the Dillon BL 550. I'd rather focus on each phase of reloading and take my time. I neither need nor want to produce lots of ammo. If, at a later date, a Dillon is in cards, so be it. I'll just get it but for now it's not in the cards.

Given the above would the Redding T-7 be my best bet or was my original assessment of the Co Ax more on target?

I got both a T7 and a Co-Ax. Both are beautifully made and solid. However, I started using the Co-Ax first, and the T-7 is sitting there unused. I load mainly precision 338LM on the Co-Ax, and occasionally will do some decapping runs on it when I want to tumble small batches of brass.

The Co-Ax slot-load die installation is a breeze when changing out dies, and also allows for dies and case to self-center and I find the turret press to be redundant. I lean towards the Forster. You will never want another single stage press after that. Just invest in a few packs of the Hornady lock-rings for all your dies, they are excellent, made of steel, and will hold their position very well.

I finally decided on a press and got the Forster Co Ax. It was its precision and attention to detail that won me over in the final analysis. I probably won't use all of its horsepower reloading just handgun rounds but that's ok. If I ever need it, I've got it.

Thanks for everyone's help...you guys are great!!!

Just saw that you opted for the Co-Ax. You'll love it. Good choice.