Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Great deal on pistol primers!

DefiantMenace

thanks for the info. I've always used CCI primers, but I'll give them a shot to save $10 per 1k of primers.

I have been using them alot, 0 failures so far. They work well in g26, g19, g43, xdm, m&p shield, sig P320, PPQ, khar cm9........... probably a few others.

I don't know if anyone else here uses the Sellier and Bellot primers, but Cabelas has them on sale right now for 19.99. Cant beat 1k primers for 20 dollars. I personally think they are wonderful, 0 failures and they seat just as easy as anything else so far.

http://www.cabelas.c...ICK/2002898.uts

0 failures after how many rounds?

I don't know if anyone else here uses the Sellier and Bellot primers, but Cabelas has them on sale right now for 19.99. Cant beat 1k primers for 20 dollars. I personally think they are wonderful, 0 failures and they seat just as easy as anything else so far.

Looks like I have used between 5 and 6 cases, so safely say 5k+ rounds. I got bored digging through the bucket o primer boxes so I will stop there :-P

I have only had one primer fail and it was with Winchester or CCI, cant remember which.

I'm probably at 10k of both S&B and mag tech through both striker fired and hammered guns (though I haven't tried uber light springs like you use) but I haven't had a failure with either.

I think they're worth a try, see if they work in your setup, I'm also through my first k of SRPs in the new open gun without issue or signs thereof.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the heads up. I was just at Cabela's yesterday, but nothing wrong with going 2 days in a row :)

Picked up 5k with my 10% off coupon. Can't beat it for $17.99 /k. First k functioned great in my STI Steelmaster.

Lawmangr, Anytime! I hope you like them.

Jbr305, That's funny you say that, I just bought some more with my 10% coupon! Annnnnnnd if you paid with your Cabelas card you get points too :)

I bought some to try. They were packaged poorly and a few spilled into the shipping box. Not a deal breaker, but was disappointed. I shot Cabela's an email about it, not asking for anything, but haven't hear back.

I bought some to try. They were packaged poorly and a few spilled into the shipping box. Not a deal breaker, but was disappointed. I shot Cabela's an email about it, not asking for anything, but haven't hear back.

I haven't had any issues with packaging yet, I do know cabelas is famous for thinking a few sheets of brown paper constitutes being packed and padded well LOL

I too jumped on this deal and purchased a large quantity of these primers. Not knowing how hard the primer cups are or sort of buying a pig-in-a-poke is not something I normally do but since I was running low and the price was so good I bit. I ran about 300 of them this morning through several different striker fired pistols with reduced striker springs hoping all would go pop. From what I can see the primer cups on these are about as soft as Winchester SPP. There is the same indention on the fired primer cup as with WSPP. The definition of the firing pin hole and the depth of the striker is the same as the imprint is made on the fired primer. Unlike a CCI primer where all you will see with a reduced striker spring is a small dent, you can see the nice rectangular shape of a Glock firing pin hole on these. Out of the 300 rounds fired this morning I did not see a velocity change from previous tests with the big 3 and all of the rounds went off without a hitch. So if you are sitting on the sidelines like I was wondering if these would go pop with your 4.5 spring, the answer is yes, they worked just great, buy some.

In addition:

I always seat my primers with authority to make them as sensitive as possible. The way the cups are made on these they will appear as a totally flattened primer as they don't have a substantial round edge. If they don't go off the first time but will the second just put a little more ass on the priming stroke and they will work for you just fine.

I too jumped on this deal and purchased a large quantity of these primers. Not knowing how hard the primer cups are or sort of buying a pig-in-a-poke is not something I normally do but since I was running low and the price was so good I bit. I ran about 300 of them this morning through several different striker fired pistols with reduced striker springs hoping all would go pop. From what I can see the primer cups on these are about as soft as Winchester SPP. There is the same indention on the fired primer cup as with WSPP. The definition of the firing pin hole and the depth of the striker is the same as the imprint is made on the fired primer. Unlike a CCI primer where all you will see with a reduced striker spring is a small dent, you can see the nice rectangular shape of a Glock firing pin hole on these. Out of the 300 rounds fired this morning I did not see a velocity change from previous tests with the big 3 and all of the rounds went off without a hitch. So if you are sitting on the sidelines like I was wondering if these would go pop with your 4.5 spring, the answer is yes, they worked just great, buy some.

In addition:

I always seat my primers with authority to make them as sensitive as possible. The way the cups are made on these they will appear as a totally flattened primer as they don't have a substantial round edge. If they don't go off the first time but will the second just put a little more ass on the priming stroke and they will work for you just fine.

I am glad everyone is liking these primers so far. I have been burning through them like crazy and still haven't had an issue. I may actually hit cabelas again today and see if I can pick up 10k more. Never know when the shelves will be empty again LOL.

bowenbuilt, thanks for the information!

Widner's has Wolf KVB-9m and KVB-223 for $16/1k.

Great find, I never really use magnum primers but I am sure someone will want to get some. I haven't used the wolf brand for primers yet, however if its the same quality as their ammunition it should be ok. I have fired about a million rounds of their steel cased 223 and 7.62x39 and haven't had too many failures.

Wolf is the same as Tulas made at the same plant on the same line, just branded different.

magnum vs regular primers - May or may not see any difference in velocity depending on your powder and load. Personally, for 9mm minor and 38 super major I really don't see any significant velocity changes. So, I'll use them. YMMV.

The closest Cabelas didn't have any in stock so had to order on-line. My coupon was $20, not 20% but hazmat adder was only $20 for 5 k of the primers and 4 lbs of TiteGroup. Had enough in points to cover the regular shipping so it worked out just fine.

Rather surprised that Cabelas won't ship primers or powder to the store with online orders.

After seeing this thread, and investigating any other report of S&B primer problems, I decided to bite the bullet, so to speak.

Went to local Cabela's, none on the shelf. Helpful floor personnel asked if he could help. I said theses primers are on sale, and there aren't any on the shelf.

His response, let me check in the warehouse.

Came back with 6 boxes of SPP, which I had requested. Took all 6, used 10% discount. Happy Happy.

Shot 300 9MM this weekend in a S&W M&P, not a single failure to go bang. Also must say that some of my 9 cases were crimped (didn't know it at the time) and these primers seated in all but 2.

both crushed.

JRB305 - You used the same 10% discount twice? Didn't think they would do that, each has a unique number.

Did they scan it each time?

Edited by Jimk60