Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What spare parts do you take to a match?

gdcguns

I just ordered my first 2011, an STI Apeiro in 40. I've been shooting glocks for a while so most of the 2011 stuff is all new to me. I won't have a backup 2011 for quite a while, so I plan on taking some extra parts with me to matches. So my question is what spare parts does everyone typically keep on hand or take to matches just in case something breaks?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.

If you don't have a backup gun I would have a spare fitted extractor all the springs and enough tools to take the frame apart. I am paranoid by nature so I have all those parts and a backup gun.

woof

If you don't have a backup gun I would have a spare fitted extractor all the springs and enough tools to take the frame apart. I am paranoid by nature so I have all those parts and a backup gun.

woof

Good advice ^^^.

I would only add that you should probably have some spare fiber optic rods and a few magazine springs. A spare ejector wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by JMike

ejector, FP, FP spring, FP stop, extractor, assembled main spring housing, recoil springs, mag. springs. all tested for function.

fiber optic rods, lighter, nail trimmers

tools for gun disassembly

anything other than that is usually major and I will call it a day. :)

I just put all the stuff in a tackle box ("Pat Miles" idea) and take it with me. The box tends to fill up over time. As for parts, anything that will break is a start. Box will hold lots. Cleaning, etc.

How has nobody said grip screws? I'm new to 2011s and have already had a grip screw fall out. I now carry a spare screw kit plus some extra front screws.

I've never lost one but that might not be a bad idea.

I either bring a complete and functioning backup gun (be it glock or whatever) for the same division, or I squad/travel with friends who shoot similar equipment to me so I can buddy breath. I don't believe in "stocking parts."

Edited by ambluemax

woof

Makes sense and doesn't seem paranoid. You've equipped yourself to be able to keep shooting the match.

How has nobody said grip screws? I'm new to 2011s and have already had a grip screw fall out. I now carry a spare screw kit plus some extra front screws.

Good one. I find that O-rings are excellent for keeping the grip screws in so I have them on my comp guns, but I'm sure it's still possible to lose one or more during a match.