Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Sauer 1911 Traditional Match in 40 S&W

shotgunone

Anybody own one, shoot one, or have any experience with Sig Sauer 1911 Traditional Match in 40 S&W? I'd like to get a 1911 in 40 S&W just wondering how this one stacks up as far as reliability, accuracy, etc. What kind of experience you have had either good or bad.

And does it like factory ammo or is this a reloads only gun?

Thanks

Edited by shotgunone

I picked up a Sig 1911 Stainless Traditional Match Elite this last December and I am very happy with it. Especially for just a shade over $900. I have run it as my single stack gun exclusively since I got it. I figure I have between 2500-3000 rounds through it. I have changed out a fair amount of stuff on the gun, I can post it all if you like. I'll leave it out now for fear of posting info you don't need or want. I've never had any gun related problems with feeding, but I polished up the ramp and chamber just because. The mags that came with it were worse than garbage. They wouldn't feed, wouldn't go into the gun when fully loaded (the pressure was enough to spread the feed lips too wide to enter the magwell). I bought some Tripp Research mags and they do everything a mag is supposed to do. As far as accuracy goes, it shoots better than I can. Not that that's an impressive feat. The gun has not been too picky when ammo is concerned. I have run a lot of different stuff through it and the only thing it refused to eat was factory Blazer Brass 165gr FMJ. Now I have settled on 165gr Blue Bullets over TiteGroup and we all get along just fine.

For a simple summary; I would recommend one of these as a single stack major gun.

IT runs with long or short ammo

I use Wilson mags or old colt Delta elite 10mm mags and a couple of OLD CMC 10mm mags

Accurate, reliable and fun

Pulled series 80 stuff out and installed spacer from brownells

Great gun for the money, put a magwell on it and a fiber optic front sight and your good to go

I have about 2000 rounds through mine, only problems were the set screw on the rear sight would work loose and the the guide rod would unscrew, a little lock tite on both solved that problem.. The gun is accurate and reliable when using Tripps mags. I have not done any modifications, it has a 41/4 lb trigger pull out of the box.. I would be interested in the mods others have made though.

Sounds like the Sig is a good one. I've been looking at several different makes of 1911 in 40 cal. Sounds like the Sig will run out of the box with factory length ammo. Any modifications that you made and want to share would be good to know.

Thanks

Picked one up when I gave up on the Max ever coming out in 40, Also picked up a STI Sentry,which has been nothing but headaches while the Sig none. Put on a FO front good to go. Also went with Tripp mags.

What caliber is your Sentry? Usually the STI's run great.

I had a Sig Target Stainless in .45. Very nice gun. I hate the series 80 crap. Took it out and put in the spacer too. Side by side with a STI Trojan I liked the Trojan slightly better.

The parts I changed out are as follows:

Dawson Ice Magwell (No-Gap)

VZ Alien Slim Grips

Slim grip screw bushings

Ed Brown Oversized Mag release

EGW Tungsten FLGW

Fiber front sight

Wolff 12lb recoil spring

Wolff 16lb main spring

Everything else is stock. Setup like this it makes weight by 3/8 of an ounce according to my scale. Its close, hopefully I don't end up with a singlestack Open gun at Area 3. :unsure:

I ended up leaving the Series 80 components in mine. I polished all the surfaces that make contact with each other and the pins they rotate on. It was surprising how much that smoothed things out. They are a pain to put back together, but I also like the thought of blocking the firing pin.

Have the Sig Elite in 40, always break in a pistol with factory ammo. The Sig put on a FO front sight and the Hogue 3 piece G 10 set, a MSH and the side panels,rough but not that terrible and good for competition. Went with a 14lb recoil spring.

The STI no trouble with factory, but that one prefers longer rounds and doesn't like Rainers plated FP.

The parts I changed out are as follows:

Dawson Ice Magwell (No-Gap)

VZ Alien Slim Grips

Slim grip screw bushings

Ed Brown Oversized Mag release

EGW Tungsten FLGW

Fiber front sight

Wolff 12lb recoil spring

Wolff 16lb main spring

Everything else is stock. Setup like this it makes weight by 3/8 of an ounce according to my scale. Its close, hopefully I don't end up with a singlestack Open gun at Area 3. :unsure:

I ended up leaving the Series 80 components in mine. I polished all the surfaces that make contact with each other and the pins they rotate on. It was surprising how much that smoothed things out. They are a pain to put back together, but I also like the thought of blocking the firing pin.

question about the no gap magwell and Tripp mags: was it easy to trim the basepads and is there much of the basepad that sticks out once seated- is there enough leverage to ensure positive seating?

I didn't trim the factory basepads, I just bought the Dawson No-Gap basepads. The factory basepads fit flush with the bottom of the magwell, that's the main reason I went with the Dawson pads. They provide a little extra material to seat the mag with.

I didn't trim the factory basepads, I just bought the Dawson No-Gap basepads. The factory basepads fit flush with the bottom of the magwell, that's the main reason I went with the Dawson pads. They provide a little extra material to seat the mag with.

how many rounds in those mags and does it fit the box?

These Tripp mags hold 9. Everything was sold under the pretense "fits the box", so I hope they fit. I'll know for sure in a week at Area 3.

Cut a piece of paper to the dimensions of the box and lay the pistol on it, you'll get a pretty good idea if you are going to have a problem.

There is so much variation in single stacks that no one can sell anything that will guarantee it will fit. I have a tri topped gun that will fit with the extended wilson base pads uncut. That won't work on most guns...

FWIW, the Tripp 10rd mags for the 9mm are about the same length as the 9rd mags that come with the TME. The base pad is thinner on the bottom to make up for the difference. Hopefully its the same scenario for you.

I shot with another guy today who was using the same gun. He's got about 2500 rds through it and no complaints. He had the Ed Brown magwell which I will probably be getting too. So there is enough room in the box to fit this frame with a magwell and long enough mags to work with the magwell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know what the weight is of the factory recoil spring in these things? I purchased the SIG TME in .40 recently. I haven't been able to find it online. Sorry for digging up an old thread. Thanks.

Edited by elftech86
spelling error

7 hours ago, elftech86 said:

Does anyone know what the weight is of the factory recoil spring in these things? I purchased the SIG TME in .40 recently. I haven't been able to find it online. Sorry for digging up an old thread. Thanks.

19lbs so I read.

• 3 weeks later...