Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I blew my stack

of primers. I am thankful Dillon did their engineering on the primer magazine.

I was loading .223 with full cases of H4895, and, the occasional powder spillage made operation not as smooth as I like. Apparently a primer jammed sideways ands I used too much force in the my regular rhythm. Bang. Other than a primer assembly that will be landfill fodder, and a primer sensor rod that resembles a mountain road, no other damage.

I was loading CCI BR4's and it seemed they varied quite a bit more in size than I remember. I had to do quite a bit of tweaking on my RF-100 to make them flow through. The sizes and the powder made the priming not as smooth as normal (and that is what caused the powder spillage, not the shell plate). It sure doesn't take much powder to foul the 223 shell plate and small primers.

I already emailed Dillon for the parts. I sure wish I lived in Scottsdale!

Edited by rodell

It was a xl650, and it certainly got my attention. I was pissed because it was my fault.

I just can't get a smooth flow with full .223 cases and priming is never smooth. I've tried all kinds of things, but loading .223 is always a chore. These are my prairie dog loads so I have to power through 1,000 rounds.

So it chain-fired across the plate and up through the tube?

That is what usually happens on the 650.

I took the mechanism apart to see if I could see what happened. It looks like the next one to exit the tube tipped sideways and caught on the plate. It's possible it came across the plate but it is hard to tell.

I replaced the primer system and finished my loading, but with a little more caution!

Is it typical for a primer ignition to chain-fire on a 550 as well?

I have never lit one off on any of them but the shuttle style priming systems on the SD, 550 and 1050 move considerable distance bringing the primer from the tube to under the case. The 650 has a wheel that rotates them under the case and they are all side by side.

You can make out the holes where the primers sit, on the right side of this photo.

IMG_20150331_083903_413_zpss6egffjb.jpg

Is it typical for a primer ignition to chain-fire on a 550 as well?

I have never lit one off on any of them but the shuttle style priming systems on the SD, 550 and 1050 move considerable distance bringing the primer from the tube to under the case. The 650 has a wheel that rotates them under the case and they are all side by side.

You can make out the holes where the primers sit, on the right side of this photo.

IMG_20150331_083903_413_zpss6egffjb.jpg

Yeah, that's why I was asking. I know the 650 priming system is a little different, and seems more prone to allowing a chain fire than the shuttle system of the 550.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. I know the 650 priming system is a little different, and seems more prone to allowing a chain fire than the shuttle system of the 550.

Right, you have eight primers lined up in a semi circle behind the one you are seating going right to the base of the primer tube.

Right, you have eight primers lined up in a semi circle behind the one you are seating going right to the base of the primer tube.

While the proximity of primers in the disc does help facilitate chain firing, it should be noted that there are plenty of instances (perhaps even the majority?) where a primer detonation at station #2 does not daisy chain through the disc and into the primer magazine. So the proximity alone is not sufficient to daisy chain (after all, the primers are separated by steel in the disc). My guess is the other requirement is the presence of a sufficient amount of primer dust to help propagate the explosion around the disc, and once it makes it to the tube, well, no primer dust necessary at that point as the primers are sitting on top of each other.

Edited by G19

Here's a look at the primer tube, removed from the steel magazine. You can also see ripples in the aluminum outside of the area that was ripped open.

post-26496-0-93152500-1437608634_thumb.j

I had no bench or ceiling damage, so all that remains is a very vivid memory! (There were no external flames, either.)

Edited by rodell

I couldn't get the primer tube out. There were 90+ melted primers holding it inside the cast iron tube.

And my plastic rod looked like a spiral spagetti noodle. Fluorescent light shattered, room filled with white dust and primer holes in the ceiling. I must have looked so pathetic when the wife opened the door.