Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polygonal barrel and plated bullets

JunotFranco

Hey guys, quick question. I have A LOT of 9mm plated bullets and I was wondering if they are good to go in a poly barrel. Have any of you tried it and what is the down side of plated bullets as far as speed goes. Thanks!

Edited by JunotFranco

Speed depends on the bullet. Most say 1200 fps but Berrys claims 1500 fps with their thick plated bullets. Rainer has some thicker plated that they said were tested in a 38 super at around 1450 fps.

I have had problems with Berry's bullets in both 9mm and 10mm Glock pistols (OEM barrels) when pushed to around 1200 FPS. Shot okay out to 15 yards, but observed keyholing at 20 yards and beyond. Their .45 bullets (230 gr.) at 800 to 850 shot great. YMMV.

Edited by 45 Raven

I had tumbling of 147 grain Berrys through my stock Glock 9mm barrels. No xs crimp either. Also had tumbling (through the same barrels) of one brand of coated 9mm bullets (Bear Creek - same weight), but not with other brands.

To be fair, if I'd tried other plated bullets they might have been OK, but I just settled on jacketed and later other brands of coated bullets that did work and left it at that.