Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Red Label?

usa259

Any experience with the more recent release version? Learning to shoot trap w/ my nearly 16 yr old. Will try skeet tomorrow and sporting clays probably by August. Currently using 870 express, 12ga, 28" w/ choke tubes, full choke in at the moment.

Buddy of mine has one. He complains about it not fitting him , not nesasarly the guns fault. I've shot it a few times and my honest opinion is look for a good used Citori. But more importantly find and gun that fits. Any Citori or Beretta will likely last a long time as long as it's good shape when you buy it.

Edited by trouble

It pains me to say this as I am a big fan of Ruger revolvers, bolt guns and .22 Mark I and II pistols. As a kid I dreamed of having a Red Label O/U but when the time came I learned that the quality, design, and gun fit was just not there compared to the Beretta and Browning guns in a similar price range.

Try one before you but it, ask any other RL owners about quality issues, and see how many of these guns you see in the hands of other shooters.

:blush:

I have two, one in 12 and one in 20. They are both older production guns. They are both very nice guns in terms of quality and finish. They only get used for clay bird shooting and I have never had a problem with gun fit. I haven't had my hands on one since they have been reintroduced, but would like to see how they turned out.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I have a field model in 20ga from around 2001. It's been great for me and I shot a bunch of skeet with it. Finally decided that its mostly just a good quail gun though. Light and quick.

I ended up with a 32" Cynergy for clay games, not ideal for skeet but great for sporting and trap. Been very pleased with it! Mechanical triggers and any choke tube you want.

And, there was recently a Browning XS on sale in the Classifieds. I would look hard at that. As someone previously mentioned, fit is the most important thing with a shotgun. If the 870 fits right, shoot the snot out of it. I ran my first 25 on a skeet field with a Mossberg 835 pump gun. It's not the hindrance that some would have you believe.

Edited by wgj3

Hello: I have an older one in 28 gauge. These are the best ones Ruger made. The other ones are just not very well made with quality issues. They won't stand up to sporting type shooting. I would look at a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 from Joel Etchen guns. They can be had for under $2000 and will last a life time. He also offers them in left hand versions if needed. The biggest complaint I have heard about the big Ruger Red Labels is they kick very hard. Lastly there is a reason Ruger stopped making them again as well. You could also look at a semi auto. I just bought a Beretta A300 and like it a lot. I have just over 300 rounds through it so far without any problems at all. The plastic stock versions can be had for under $500 new. With the plastic stock you can adjust the length of pull as he grows. Lots of choices but I would try as many guns as you can before buying one. One that may fit you may kick him and he will not want to shoot it. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the feedback. My son and I were just at the trap range on Sunday and it was just the two of us, until someone just walked up and joined us. Was okay with us. As I was watching him and my son shoot the first round, I was the thrower button guy, I noticed the distinctive Red Label in action. I did ask to check it out and mounted it, and it seemed to fit fine. With the quality issues identified above and the support for the Berretta, both here and locally I will start looking that route as well.

How about the Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays? What say you about that shotgun? I just ran across a used one with adjustable comb stock and really cushy base pad. Condition wise it was hard to tell it was used. Price range for a used shotgun like this? Is there a place to look up used prices?

Thanks again!

Hello: For me the Brownings kick me. The stock setup for me is just not correct. It can be corrected but why do that when another gun fits? The Sporting Clays model was a special run of guns for that game. They are good guns and as for pricing look on Gunbroker etc. Guessing I would say in the $1500-$2000 range. Thanks, Eric

I liked to old Ruger Red labels but the new ones have had a few problems. Ruger's customer service has been really good but a lot of the guys that bought the new model have had to use it. If you don't like the Brownings then you should look at a Beretta you can normally get a used field grade gun for around $1000.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I spent the bucks for a Citori I tried out a lot of OU SGs. The Red Label was actually the first i tried. A buddy had one, I shot it and was going to just buy one. Then I started reading about fit. I'd always only ever shot Pumps and Autos. Well that opened my eyes. I picked up every OU I could remotely afford and none fit well. Then I happened on a store that had a Citori XS Special in stock. I tried it and it came right up the way it should. I hemmed and hawed a bit but in the end I decided that if I was going to spend money on a SG, I might as well get one I would not regret. So I ponied up the $$$ and bought the Browning. It has served me well. I am by no means an expert Shotgunner but I have been learning. FIT is the #! thing. Don't care about engraving, gold plating, the look of the wood. If it don't fit, it will not let you do your best.

All that said, you also need to consider what it is you are planning on shooting and whether you are looking to be a 'real competitor' or just shooting for fun. Same here as any sport. If you want to have fun, an all-around SG such as a 30" Citori, the Red label, a Beretta or just about any gun that fits will do. If you are looking to go out and make this your shooting sport, then you need to look at a specialty gun, Trap? You will probably want a Trap Gun, Sleet, Skeet, SC, same thing.

If I could have fit the Red label I would probably have bought it and saved myself about $2k. But if it doesn't fit, you just spent $6-700 or so for another safe queen.

Unless you are stuck on an OU, the Beretta AL391 is a great gun for all around clays shooting. I think all of them come with stock shims so you can make the gun fit you pretty well. I shot OUs for years but the felt recoil on an auto is more pleasant to shoot.

Hello: The Beretta 391 is a great gun and I had a couple of them. I was lacking in the semi auto gun so I bought the Beretta A300. It shoots just as well as a 391 and costs under $600 for wood and under $500 for a plastic stock version. It has the best of the 391 and the A400 series but at 1/3 the price of a A400. I would look at Brownings and Beretta and see which one fits you. I would try both before you buy to see what fits you. If you get serious about the sport then you will have many shotguns before you find the best one for you. Thanks, Eric