Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Slide Lock Reload

Smitty79

slamming a mag home to get the slide to auto forward is like slamming your car door to lock it because it's easier than using the button and it works most the time.

you'd laugh at someone if they told you that. use the part of the gun designed to get the action you want.

"hope is not a plan"

LoL, I love it.

Break it and slam harder. We don't care...

Only thing is the use of your support hand thumb will cost you time(about 1/2 + second) every time you have to use it. It only takes 1/2 second here & there for you to move up or down in the match rankings. If you learn how to make your CZ auto forward & practice this technique, you can do it 100% of the time. It will give you an advantage over other competitors.

The vast majority of reloads you're going to be taking atleast a step, in which case the slide lock reload isn't that big of a factor. However, if you're left with a standing, slide lock reload, you'll have already cost yourself way more than 1/2 second, and given up any perceived competitive advantage you might have had over other competitors by slam charging the gun. Then you're doubly screwed if/when it malfunctions because of said slam charge.

It would make more sense to practice those things that would leave you in that situation in the first place. I'm not saying don't practice that, but where a slide lock reload is really a disadvantage, is usually caused by some other problem, like misses.

MY shadow does it but sometimes it doesn't pick up a round. So since it's not 100% reliable I kinda wish it wouldn't auto close

Used to have that issue until I put the +10% mag springs in my mags.....now there is enough upward tension that my gun autoforwards and picks up a round 100% of the time. Before the new springs it was 50/50

MY shadow does it but sometimes it doesn't pick up a round. So since it's not 100% reliable I kinda wish it wouldn't auto close

Used to have that issue until I put the +10% mag springs in my mags.....now there is enough upward tension that my gun autoforwards and picks up a round 100% of the time. Before the new springs it was 50/50

I use Mecgar mags so I was under the assumption that those springs are already good enough.?

• 7 years later...

I have a shadow sp01 and a shadow 2. My sp01 does this auto slide forward from time to time so this thread has been informative. My question is my shadow 2 actually locks open and will not close simply by racking the slide back. I have to use the slide release button (which I understood was bad for the CZ). Any feedback would be much appreciated. I’m a new shooter. 

1 hour ago, Jpdarr said:

My question is my shadow 2 actually locks open and will not close simply by racking the slide back. I have to use the slide release button (which I understood was bad for the CZ). Any feedback would be much appreciated. I’m a new shooter. 

First of all, there is nothing "bad" about using the slide release lever to release the slide.  It's exactly what it's there for.  Whoever told you doing so is "bad" for CZs (or any other brand) doesn't know what he's talking about, or you misunderstood what they were saying.

The slide of any semi auto pistol will remain locked open as long as there is an empty magazine in the gun.  The magazine's follower is pushing up on the slide release lever which keeps the slide locked in the open position.  Pullingn back on the slide in that instance does nothing because the slide hits the slide release lever again and stops.  Pressing down on the slide release lever is the only way to close the slide when there is an empty magazine in the gun.

A magazine that still has ammunition in it won't lock the slide open because the cartridge sitting on the follower keeps the follower from rising enough to push up on the slide release lever.

if your slide isn't going forward from slide lock, when you rack the slide on either a new, loaded mag, or the gun having no magazine, then you need to look at the slidestop spring, which is on the right side of the gun, where the leg of the slidestop goes through the frame and protrudes on the other side. They can break, very uncommon, but it can happen. As well the detent that holds the spring in tension can come out and then the spring won't drop the slidestop when the slide is moved. Or, you've got a burr on the slide or the stop itself. 

As for the auto forward thing, it's simple physics. If the gun is held at the proper angle, when you insert a mag with decent force (not even hard, but just enough) you move the frame up and forward. The slide being a separate part, held in position by a spring, tries to stay still, which allows the compression of the recoil spring as the frame moves. Once the frame has moved far enough, the slidestop is disengaged from the slide, and then once the movement stops, the recoil spring sends the slide forward. Very simple stuff.