Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Mags - follower jumping out of the top

MGMorden

Ok - I've shot 1911's for a while but just recently got my first 2011. The mags are driving me crazy though.

The gun (a DVC) came with 2 factory mags and I also got 2 Brazos tuned mags. The Brazos mags are working absolutely fine. The stock mags though are giving me trouble. If I rack the slide with an empty mag in it it snags on the follower and the slide won't close.

It did this before even when I'd modified them to not lock back - turns out the follower itself is popping out of the top of the magazine. I even ordered 2 Grams spring/follower kits and they're doing the same thing.

Pic of the super tuned mag:

brazosmag.JPG

Pic of the stock mag (with a Grams follower - though the stock followers do the same thing):

stockmag.JPG

As you can see the follower is popping out of the second mag and sitting too far. If this mag runs dry the slide snags on it. Mag can't be released as its under tension and it's gouging the follower across the top (example in next pic). followerdamage.JPG

Any idea what's going wrong here? Are the mags defective, or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

At the back they're 0.385" - on both.

Kicker is that if I take the spring/follower out of the other mag it works fine even in the stock tube - but Brazos is using Grams followers.

This makes zero sense to me. Two sets of springs/followers are doing this straight out of the package - as are the stock springs/followers - but the same brand sent from Brazos are working ok regardless of the tube used.

I refuse to believe that 2 stock followers and 2 fresh aftermarket ones are all having the same issue - but if I was just putting them together incorrectly it seems like it wouldn't be so consistent.

My head is starting to hurt :).

At the back they're 0.385" - on both.

Kicker is that if I take the spring/follower out of the other mag it works fine even in the stock tube - but Brazos is using Grams followers.

This makes zero sense to me. Two sets of springs/followers are doing this straight out of the package - as are the stock springs/followers - but the same brand sent from Brazos are working ok regardless of the tube used.

I refuse to believe that 2 stock followers and 2 fresh aftermarket ones are all having the same issue - but if I was just putting them together incorrectly it seems like it wouldn't be so consistent.

My head is starting to hurt :).

They aren't popping out at the back though, it looks like they are popping out at the front.

The springs are 11 coil springs? How does the free height compare to the Brazo's mag internals?

Front of the lips between the two mags are the same. In the middle the stock mags were within 0.003" of the others.

For now I'm trying the load em up suggestion. I'm thinking that may help as they do seem to "pop out" on that last bit of spring compression as I'm putting the baseplate on - until then they sit as they should.

Check the dimensions of the mag tube. On some of mine I needed to close up the area below the feed lips to keep the follower from popping up. Also closing the front to rear tube size helped

Edited by Quack

I had one do the same thing. I took a file or dremel tool to the rear of the follower and put a bevel on the back so when the slide comes forward, it pushes the follower back down insead of hanging up on it.

I also made a switch to a bolens follower and this also solved the problem. But all my other mags have grams followers.

Apparently after spending $60+ on these mags...they do not work properly.....then have them tuned ???????....at an additional cost +$$$$

I understand the problem with these mags, especially 9mm is rampant. Finally had mine tuned and what a difference....follower no longer pops out , lips perfect, loads and empties perfectly. I even tried Grams followers...no help..left 2 rounds in the mag and slide open.

My point is this........why should anyone have to do this dance to get a factory part to preform as expected??

Love the gun , love it all....just think it could be easier......