Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield yanked out my trigger kit

Just4FunLP

I have an XDM 5.25 with about 50,000 rounds through it started having failure to extract problems. Maybe one out of 250 rounds. The case would be out of the chamber about 1/8 to 1/4" and the next round would be jammed underneath it with the slide creating a ding. I had photos but must have deleted them,,, I could clearly see the scratch on the rim of the case where I assumed the extractor slipped off. Also, the extractor was visibly worn. Other than that the pistol works perfect.

Several posts said they would not sell the extractors so I contacted Springfield and returned the gun with a detailed description of the problem. I was out of the country for a few weeks and asked them to just hold shipment until I returned. When I got back I called them to check the status and the lady on the phone said something about it not going into battery because of my aftermarket parts (Springer Precision Ultimate trigger kit) I installed when I first got the gun. She didn't have all the details so I just asked her to send it back. When it arrived I found a bag with my old sear and trigger bar and a parts list that included the extractor, firing pin retainer pin, sear, and trigger bar spring. The list did not mention the new trigger bar. I had returned the pistol once before due to a chip in the slide, and they didn't have a problem with the trigger kit then.

I dry fired it a few times and was very disappointed with the way the trigger felt.

Can anyone shed some light on how it went from failure to extract to removing my trigger kit? I assume they did this for a good reason.

Should I simply reinstall the old trigger parts?

I know I could call and ask Springfield, but that makes too much sense. ...... :)

Thanks

Edited by Just4FunLP

If a gun fails the safety tests, Springfield pulls out the aftermarket parts and replaces them with factory. If they let the gun go out knowing it failed they could be held liable if something were to happen.

Rich

If a gun fails the safety tests, Springfield pulls out the aftermarket parts and replaces them with factory. If they let the gun go out knowing it failed they could be held liable if something were to happen.

Rich

Exactly. You are the owner and are free to install te springer parts, but I would definitely look closely and see if there is a problem.

Since SA apparrently installed stock parts without charging you (?) it doesn't sound like they had a motive to lie about it. The gun must have failed a safety test of some kind.

They won't mess with aftermarket parts as long the parts don't impede them from making repairs, and/or the gun fails a safety test. I've sent my guns to Springfield Armory many, many times, and they've never removed my aftermarket parts, unless it was necessary to make the needed repairs They even reinstalled my aftermarket sights on a new slide one time.

I can't say enough good things about Springfield Armory. Recently I sent them a gun that was completely locked up. Went I got the gun back, it was in pieces, and a note included explained that it was the aftermarket guide rod that caused the problem.

Of course, it wasn't the guide rod, but it doesn't matter. I just needed somebody to take my gun apart. They did the work for free, except for the shipping. Guide rod reinstalled by me, and gun is running fine.

Hey. Thanks for the feedback.

I assume I should have reinstalled all the original parts and sent it back, then reinstalled the aftermarket parts when it came back. Just seems kind of silly, but with the litigious world we live in I understand how they could be vulnerable. Would it have made sense to send it to another gunsmith to get a new extractor? If so who?

Is it realistic to expect a manufacturer to continuously make warranty repairs on a gut that's getting 25,000 rounds a year pumped through it? I've been thinking about upgrading to a CZ Target for production, but that's going to have to wait for a while... As it stands now, this XDm is my only pistol. As you can tell I haven't completely figured out how much replacement guns and maintenance fit's into my USPSA budget. The cost of reloading components alone has my CPA wife's head spinning... :)

Edited by Just4FunLP

Hey. Thanks for the feedback.

I assume I should have reinstalled all the original parts and sent it back, then reinstalled the aftermarket parts when it came back. Just seems kind of silly, but with the litigious world we live in I understand how they could be vulnerable. Would it have made sense to send it to another gunsmith to get a new extractor? If so who?

Is it realistic to expect a manufacturer to continuously make warranty repairs on a gut that's getting 25,000 rounds a year pumped through it? I've been thinking about upgrading to a CZ Target for production, but that's going to have to wait for a while... As it stands now, this XDm is my only pistol. As you can tell I haven't completely figured out how much replacement guns and maintenance fit's into my USPSA budget. The cost of reloading components alone has my CPA wife's head spinning... :)

Springfield Armory has replaced two of my extractors, free of charge, and I can't think of a reason to send it somewhere else for the same replacement. Besides, to my knowledge, you can't get new XD extractors from anywhere else.

The only reason I would take off aftermarket parts before sending it to SA if there is a possibility the aftermarket part could be blamed for a problem, and therefore possibly nullifying the warranty, or if it could get in the way of making repairs. Like I said before, Springfield Armory is pretty good about leaving the aftermarket parts alone.

You will get to a point where SA will stop fixing things, and replacing parts for free, depending on the age of the gun, and obvious wear and tear. For example, last year they charged me for replacing a broken striker. They were kind enough to call me to let me know, and a very nice customer service person explained that because of the age of my gun, the striker fell into a category of parts that are only replaced free of charge for so long.

PS, forgot to mention that particular gun was about 4 or 5 years old. I don't know if they go by looks, and obvious wear and tear to the gun, but I'm sure it was quite obvious the gun was well used with many, many rounds through it.

Edited by grapemeister

Thanks for the info. I'm happy with Sprinfield customer service. I'm just trying to pickup as much info as possible to help me keep my gun up and running. Unfortunately it takes all my spare time to practice, exercise (been slacking on that one), and reloading. So I don't have a lot of time to spend on gun smithing. Who's the best person to send it to to get an honest evaluation. I live in Tallahassee Florida, but I expect that I need to ship it off. I installed the SP ultimate trigger kit, but I always thought it could use a little more tweaking. I think it would be best to send it to Springer Precision, but maybe the Springfield Armory custom shop would have more parts available.

I think I'll go ahead and slap the old parts back in and get through a couple of practices and my local match next weekend. And then try to find some time to call the guys at Springer.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. It's very helpful as always. I'm reading every word. Keep them coming.

Rich

Exactly my experience. I've sent highly modified guns in for unrelated problems and the aftermarket parts were still in the gun when it came back. I've also had the same situation as the OP where a smith screwed up a trigger job and SA told me they can't return a gun that is unsafe so they fixed it and I got the original parts back as well.

What do the safety tests include?

Things like making sure the gun won't fire without the grip safety pressed, firing pin safety catches the striker if equipped, etc. hammer/striker won't release without the trigger pressed, thumb safety blocks the sear properly, etc, etc. Depends on the gun. There are probably threads in the archives on how to do a safety check. Pretty good thing to know so you can do it yourself after cleaning and reassembly.

So just put the parts you like back into the gun, at least, you got them back.

After my last post I put what they returned back into my gun and took it out for a 500 round practice. It seems to work fine now. No more failure to extract. They did list a trigger bar spring on the invoice, but I didn't see it in the Ziploc bag. Guess I should order a new one. It's only $7.

Next time I'll know to put in the old trigger bar and sear before shipping it back.