Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match

Kimber 1911 45 acp ( custom crimson II) . that is my least modified pistol. the pistol is not idpa legal as is. dragon fire ported barrel. in truth the stock Kimber barrel is more accurate.not sure what the score was. The guy keeping score said two of the three stages the "hits were 0" . so I don't think I came in last. odd thing to note, I shoot at my club at least once a week 300 to 500 rnds a week. make my own set and try to design and shoot a "new" drill every week. ex. double tap 8x8 steel @ 12yds , reload dbl tap cardboard @18yds repeat repeat.......run it backwards 18 the 12. my usual gun is g34 gen 4 with kkm barrel behind a Dawson comp. I run 4.8 grains of tight group and 124 gr fmj. comp seems to work well with that load. (not idpa legal). when that buzzer went off, despite all of my trigger time. I seemed to fall into a fog of slowww motion and stupidity. I am going to shoot Saturday again. I put the stock g34 barrel back in and loaded up some tight group 3.2 over 124 grain fmj. Been working on the "buzzer fog" thing in my head all week. Hope to show improvement. thanks for your responses. any and all input is greatly appreciated.

shot 2nd match today. the good and the bad. The good; changed to g34. stages required reloads. reloads went smooth and felt good. all the reload drills paid off. so now to the bad. I have no practice shooting while moving. range time has all been stance, grip, front sight, trigger control....repeat. I would move stop and fire, followed by the RO yelling "move".... run stop and shoot / reload was good. shoot while running was a disaster. I am not deterred at all. can anyone recommend some "shoot while moving drills"

I too would like to hear of some drills for this. Shooting while moving is a tough one. It takes tons of practice and even when your good at it you have to carefully balance your movement against the target difficulty and decide if it would be faster to post up and hose an array or to creep by it and shoot. Then you need to know exactly how many shots you can accurately get off at a given pace so you can avoid one of my common mistakes: on more than one occasion I've shot on the move only to have to stop at the end of an array because I walked by the targets faster than I could engage them and almost obscured my last target by the next wall/barricade etc. Point being lots of practice.

My way of avoiding that is to pick out my stopping points when I do the walk through. There's a place where most targets are in the area of engagement and reloads can be done on the move. That seems to end with the buzzer sometimes, (lol) but it usually helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

fourth match. 24th out of 38 shooters. feel more comfortable when the buzzer goes off.

purchased a tanfoglio 1911 co2 blow back pistol and practice out in the yard. great tool for "shooting on the move" you can just see the bb at 300fps. helped with my accuracy. also "dryfire" in the house just using the co2 to reset the trigger and the glow back seem to help with a realism feel. ( my wife has given me some looks) for doing it in the house. but I have not been banned YET. settled in with the G34 for match #4

Horrible 3rd match trying to use my para p14. stage 1 was ok and them it was the ftf nightmare. if you don't clean and silicone the mags after every use you have trouble. finished 34 out of 36 shooters.

prep for match # 5 30 days out.......get in 15 hrs of BB time, ever other day. salvaged some of the used targets set up a stage in the yard and shoot bb`s. dry fire inside on non bb days 1/2 hour session. work on slowing it down in my head and "seeing it" advance , target , trigger. smooth easy no rush no pressure...looking for zen

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE match #5, 10th overall out of 26 shooters. good solid hits. went slower and tried to "stick" my targets. bought a timer and set "beep 1.4 sec beep. using the bb gun I practiced every other day....beep draw and fire a "0" before the second beep. m.y draw and 1st shot "0" is now 1.1-1.2 with little effort. however the timer will not pick up the bb gun sound so no split time.I felt way more comfortable this match. shot 2nd in my division. ( only 4 shooters, lol) thanks to an opportunity to shoot a private range with some fellas who have shot the fort brag 3 gun. They were practicing for a GFFS match, and had the complete setup. got some great pointers and technique corrections from those guys. That also was a major contributor to my10th overall. Quite an eye opener to realize," going slower greatly increased my scores". Liked shoot the "plate rack" best. I was running a 4.6 plate rack by days end.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my first qualifier. 17 th out of 34 shooters. Shooting was much better. Dropped 2 mags on ground /stage 3 . Got 2 procedurals. Finish @ 161. First shooter was at 96. I am getting better. Shot a "pracitice " qualifier Sunday. Used my Kimberly 1911 45 acp instead of the g34 and shot a 121.??????? (No procedural deduction for mags.) Maybe because I know what to expect.????

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I got a tanfoglio co2 1911 ( replica) blow back "BB" .177 to practice in the back yard. welded up a mini plate rack and set up some discarded IDPA targets in the back yard.= BB time. it has been great help. my shooting on the run has drastically improved. I have been running draw / first shot drills on the mini plate rack. that is probably the reason I shot my Kimber better than the glock. my practice has been 1911 BB. my draw /first shot times have dropped from 1.9`S to 1.3-1.5

Hello barebone1 and anybody else that might read this. This is my first reply on this forum, just signed up, have heard so much about this forum. All good.

Your post here was really fascinating to me as I shot my first idpa match about 2 months ago. I was probably the worst ever with a handgun, when I was in high school all our kin folk lived in Texas and I remember goin out horse back riding with my uncle and came up on a decent size rattlesnake. I had my dad's Hi Standard 22 snub nose revolver, can't remember what my uncle had(I'm 60 now), my uncle said shoot it, so all 9 shots never sniffed the snake, I still have nightmares of that snake laughing at me. So fast forward to about 3 years ago when I happened to catch one of the shooting shows with Jerry Miculek, Clint Upchurch and that crowd at one of there competitions. I had no idea that kind of shooting was possible out of a handgun.

So number one on my bucket list was born, learn to shoot a handgun bein drawn from a holster and enter some kind of local competition. Well several thousand rounds later and hours upon hours of dry firing did nothing to prepare me for that buzzer. Good grief I knew I was gonna be nervous but had no idea it would be that bad. I've shot in 4 small local matches and my goal was not to be last and not get DQ'ed. Accomplished that but not much more. Go absolutely brain dead at the buzzer.

If I had do overs I would have started competing probably 6 months sooner. Skill wise I was ready, not a pro by any means but my draws and accuracy, safely handling the gun were good enuff to start but was so looking forward to it but scared to death at the same time so kept putting it off. But at this point I would be so much better at "playing the game".

Needless to say I have been bit by the bug and look forward to hopefully improving with each match. I started with a Glock 34 but I've shot the matches with my Kimber Custom 2 which I've had about 6-7 months, love the 1911! Sorry this is so long but I felt like I was rite there with you and thx for taking the time to share that and hopefully you will keep updates coming, I really enjoy hearing, well, actually reading about other folks experiences.

Hello barebone1 and anybody else that might read this. This is my first reply on this forum, just signed up, have heard so much about this forum. All good.

Your post here was really fascinating to me as I shot my first idpa match about 2 months ago. I was probably the worst ever with a handgun, when I was in high school all our kin folk lived in Texas and I remember goin out horse back riding with my uncle and came up on a decent size rattlesnake. I had my dad's Hi Standard 22 snub nose revolver, can't remember what my uncle had(I'm 60 now), my uncle said shoot it, so all 9 shots never sniffed the snake, I still have nightmares of that snake laughing at me. So fast forward to about 3 years ago when I happened to catch one of the shooting shows with Jerry Miculek, Clint Upchurch and that crowd at one of there competitions. I had no idea that kind of shooting was possible out of a handgun.

So number one on my bucket list was born, learn to shoot a handgun bein drawn from a holster and enter some kind of local competition. Well several thousand rounds later and hours upon hours of dry firing did nothing to prepare me for that buzzer. Good grief I knew I was gonna be nervous but had no idea it would be that bad. I've shot in 4 small local matches and my goal was not to be last and not get DQ'ed. Accomplished that but not much more. Go absolutely brain dead at the buzzer.

If I had do overs I would have started competing probably 6 months sooner. Skill wise I was ready, not a pro by any means but my draws and accuracy, safely handling the gun were good enuff to start but was so looking forward to it but scared to death at the same time so kept putting it off. But at this point I would be so much better at "playing the game".

Needless to say I have been bit by the bug and look forward to hopefully improving with each match. I started with a Glock 34 but I've shot the matches with my Kimber Custom 2 which I've had about 6-7 months, love the 1911! Sorry this is so long but I felt like I was rite there with you and thx for taking the time to share that and hopefully you will keep updates coming, I really enjoy hearing, well, actually reading about other folks experiences.

Great post! So my news, esp. marksman. In both classifier. A 160 the first time 4weeks ago and a 164 Sunday glock 34 (magwell) that's why esp. The even better news....I am having a blast (pun intended ) can't wait to shoot next Saturday

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

finished 6th over all ! second in my division. all the practice and dry fire must be helping. It seems the slower I seem to go the better I shoot. I just started printing the " scenario" and trying to imagine it. dry fire warm up at match. ( I am a member), so I just go to a hot bay and dry fire; draw / sight picture . so 9th match shooting g34, 6th overall. still having a blast !

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

the continuing saga, shot my first uspsa match. core shooting solutions baker Florida. what a fantastic facility. used my g 34 I have shot 14 IDPA match's up to that date. I finished 36 of 54 shooters @%49 percent. I really don't even know how to score these matches yet. took my time placed my shots. my first attempt on a Texas star went well. lots of A`s but like I said, didn't try to worry about the time. more getting thru the match safely and being as accurate as possible and not getting DQed. signed up for the next one, running a new pistol. tanfoglio limited 40. on another note our IDPA club is expanding into 2 gun matches. we have been running shot gun and rifle side matches after idpa. Now evolved into dedicated 2 gun. so one fathers day idpa match has turned into a full blown hobby. I couldn't`t be happier about that. IDPA marks man, about to shoot my 2nd uspsa match, have little by little acquired the gear needed to be competitive enough for a 55 year old, over weight diabetic. The most surprising part of this journey, is the people I have met. From the masters to the NV shooters, without exception. Everyone is more than willing to give advice, help in anyway ( forget to bring a mag. 6 people will walk up with mags, "here you go") Anyone thinking about trying this sport, don't lurk and try to learn. Go shoot a match. I am a safer, better, more aware shooter for it. my 2 cents

Wow, can I ever relate to this post, I did my first IDPA in January. I shot the second this weekend, along with an introductory USPSA match. I shoot 3-4 times a week at my local club. I do pretty well with accurate hits out to 15yds or so, with a fair amount of speed on the shots. If I take my time for a good site picture I get the longer shots up to 25yds in the down zero. I fully understand the timer buzzer fog thing! I swear I blackout during the dam stage, don't know what happened to my front sight, and can't recall anything about grip, stance or the targets! I even practice with the timer to get used to it, but all that goes out the window during the competition! I finished 34th out of 55 in the first and I thought i was in last the way i was shooting. I finished 42nd out of 74 in the second, and still, like the first match, I thought i was dead last. So I am happy about my finishes, but not happy about how i shot. Everything was rushed, the dam buzzer..... It was interesting to read that your scores improved as you slowed down, I try to talk myself into going slow during my walkthru/prep, but just can't seem to execute it when the buzzer goes off! I'm hoping I will calm down with more matches under my belt.

The USPSA match was really fun, less rules and it's up to the shooter to figure out how to shoot the stage. I ended up 4th out of 28 shooters, not great as there were many beginners. But there were a few really good accurate shooters there also. Fun stuff, haven't figured out which I like better yet, but i think i will continue with both for a while.

Thanks for posting up your story, and congrats on climbing the ladder!

Kevin