Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

installing hi-viz sight

underlug

I am having trouble with a hi-viz front sight. The screw which attaches the sight to the frame has no slot. How does one grasp the screw thru the frame to turn it so it secures the sight in to the frame?

You have to use a socket wrench of the correct size....... there are several people who sell special tools just for this purpose. Try any Glock parts retailer, they'll have one.

Normal sockets are usually to thick walled to use, so thus the special tool.

What you need is a nut driver instead of a socket. These are usually much smaller and fit in tighter spaces. I found several very cheap sets at Harbor Freight that had the correct size included. Most were about $4.00 or less.

Any of the discounters like Wally World or K-mart also have bins full of the cheap made in China stuff that will work just fine.

geezer

Why go to all of that trouble? Just buy the tool that was meant for the job. Glock Front Sight wrenches can be purchased from a variety of vendors (Aro-Tek, Brownells, Dawson, etc.). Using the right tool wil save you a lot of grief. On another note, use a drop of Loc-Tite 271 and DON'T OVERTIGHTEN IT!

:D

Meprolight Made Front Sight nstallation Tool for Night Sights $19.95 + shipping

Glock factory front sight tool 3/16 hex screw for night sights

$29.95 + shipping

Craftsman 3/16 nut driver $6.49

Buy the set of 7 for $19.95

Consumers got choices. And you probably have a Sears store nearby.

geezer

Just a note: If you are putting it on a 24 slide, the hole in the slide to tighten the front sight is smaller than the one in the 35 slide. You will have to grind the sight tool to a smaller diameter to fit the smaller hole. BE CAREFUL not to grind too much off, as it will crack the side wall of the sight tool when you tighten the sight. I had it happen to me on the first try!!

Thanks glock24man

Why go to all of that trouble? Just buy the tool that was meant for the job. Glock Front Sight wrenches can be purchased from a variety of vendors (Aro-Tek, Brownells, Dawson, etc.). Using the right tool wil save you a lot of grief. On another note, use a drop of Loc-Tite 271 and DON'T OVERTIGHTEN IT!

:D

Good advise! I've broken off screws inside the sight by overtightening. The sight is ruined.

I now just hand tighten - and then turn a 1/4 turn more + some blue Loctite.

I've broken several of those &^*%^& little front sight screws. Luckily I was able to get the broken screw out without ruining the front sight. I gave up using the screwdriver-like nut driver handle (too much torque) and just hold the socket in my fingers to tighten it. With locktite I've never had one come loose. If I was smart I'd buy the correct tool for the job.

Want to thank all for the help. I finally have my sight installed. Turns out the optic sight I got didn't have the threading to receive the screw. That took me a whole lot longer to figure out than it should have. I got another sight at the gun show. It still took me longer than it should have to get the thing in there, but, the information everyone gave me here was right on. Still haven't heard from Hi-Viz. Their customer service needs some work. Thanks