Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handling Ammo in Safe Area

bret

If you see someone handling ammo at a safe table, and actually checking to see if it will chamber after they had problems, and the CRO is notified and see's it, what are they supposed to do?

I was helping at a match and yelled at the guy No Ammo in the safe area is to be handled and had the CRO come over.

10.5 Match Disqualification – Unsafe Gun Handling

10.5.12 Handling live or dummy ammunition (including practice or training rounds, snap caps and empty cases), loaded magazines or loaded speed loading devices in a Safety Area, or failing to comply with Rule 2.4.1. The word “handling” does not preclude competitors from entering a Safety Area with ammunition in magazines or speed loading devices on their belt, in their pockets or in their range bag, provided the competitor does not physically remove the ammunition, loaded magazines or loaded speed loading devices from their retaining or storage device while within the Safety Area.

I know you can have ammo on you but you are not allowed to see if your AR15 will chamber ammo that would not feed during a stage.

I thought it was an automatic no questions asked D.Q.

My question is more how do you handle something like this when the CRO let's people slide on these types of issues?

I thought it was an automatic no questions asked D.Q. It is!

My question is more how do you handle something like this when the CRO let's people slide on these types of issues? Locally- Tell the MD what you saw happen. Bigger match- Tell the RM he has a CRO of questionable ability working his match.

If you came and got me, I'd have to see it going on before I'd send him home. But I would read the riot act to the guy anyway. If he's having a problem with his ammo he should have gauged it at home.

DQ! Our clubs are strict. We even go one step further as in we cannot have loaded mags on you even if you don't remove it while in the safe area. At first we're like WTF... But club rules are club rules! We've gotten used to our safety practices that when we go to major matches, we're well prepared and very safe area conscious.

Edited by SayHelloToMyLittleFriend

DQ! Our clubs are strict. We even go one step further as in we cannot have loaded mags on you even if you don't remove it while in the safe area. At first we're like WTF... But club rules are club rules! We've gotten used to our safety practices that when we go to major matches, we're well prepared and very safe area conscious.

And here we go again with club rules. You certainly can not DQ a shooter for having loaded mags on their belt or in a bag in a safe area at a USPSA sanctioned match. If your match is sanctioned anyone should be able to come to your match and shoot and expect USPSA rules to be followed. You all may have gotten used to your club rules but that's not the point. No such thing as "club rules are club rules".

If you came and got me, I'd have to see it going on before I'd send him home. But I would read the riot act to the guy anyway. If he's having a problem with his ammo he should have gauged it at home.

Hi Ray! According to the OP the CRO did see it and did nothing. I believe that's the main point here. It's not like only Joe shooter saw him. Then again, if you walked up to the guy and asked him if he was handling ammo in a safety area and he said "yes", what would we do?

My question is more how do you handle something like this when the CRO let's people slide on these types of issues?

It's not my job to tell people how to run their match. You brought it to the CRO's attention, that's really about all you need to do. I wouldn't fault you for continuing up to the RM or MD, but I also wouldn't fault you for worrying about your own match.

I guess my concern is this was imo a blatant safety violation that should have been dealt with in a proper manner, according to USPSA this is a D.Q.

It seems to me that sloppy rule enforcement is a bad idea.

If you sweep yourself or drop a gun, it is a no questions asked D.Q.

But other violations are ignored.

I think loading a gun in a safe area violated more than just the rule of handling ammo in the safe area.

He loaded a gun before a make ready command was given, he was not under the supervision of a R.O., he had a loaded gun on a cold range.

If it happens again, I will follow up on it more diligently.

• 4 months later...