Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching Talented Shooters Improve

This thread isn't about me, but about other shooters I'm observing as someone who started competing relatively late in life.

Watching anyone improve at anything is always a source of enjoyment for me. One example is a fellow, in his 20s maybe even early 20s, who shoots single stack at my local range. He is currently a USPSA A class shooter and seems to have the ingredients to go far.

He is often the best single stack shooter on a couple of stages every match, but last night I saw from the posted scores that he had an excellent night. He was one of the top overall shooters, his scores nipping at the heels of our better Open division guys. I wish I had been there to watch him shoot but, as sometimes happens, work got in the way of me going to the match.

I've seen him shoot a few stages over the last month and a half. He is smooth, confident and quick. I'm very interested to see how he will progress as time goes by. I've already learned some things by watching and emulating him.

This is inspirational and joyous to watch as an older beginner.

It's inspirational to see anyone improve regardless of age. Don't think that just because you started late in life that you can't improve on the same scale. Know your limitations and improve on them.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

Just picked this one person, who happens to be young, as an example of someone I've observed as in a noticeable improvement phase.

There are two older guys I'm thinking of at the range, with significant physical limitations, who shoot with great precision, consistently. They are just as inspirational to me, but in a different way. It does seem their considerable skills are at a plateau and likely in slow decline. This phase is much nearer for me than for the young fellow I cited above. It's just reality.

Edited by GunBugBit

Neat thread. My friend Dave. We trained together years ago and lost track of each other. 4 months ago, he did some improvements on my range, (he has an excavating business) and, as a result started shooting S.C. with a group of us. Watched him take 10th at a club match last week! He was good to start with, though no formal match experience or training. He is an inspiration to us, as well as a lot of fun to be around! And he just keeps getting better. Glad he's back...

USPSA competitions are the one place my almost 13 year old son feels completely accepted and encouraged. Everyone is on his side and wants to help him improve. He doesn't get this at school, church or out in the general public. It makes his shooting companions seem like family. I love the people I shoot with and I am grateful for what they do for my son. Unconditional acceptance and care. Amazing folks for sure.

Dave sounds like an all-around improvement kind of guy!

Another uplifting thing for me is the cheerful and friendly people who just seem darn happy to be there, as I am.

Yes. The interesting thing to watch is his rapid improvement! There are several people that shoot here that don't seem to get faster or more accurate. Dave has gone from never shooting an S.C. stage to (3 1/2 months later) shooting really well in a match. He tends to be a really "details" guy. Guess that helps. Oh, and the 5000 rounds since Feb.!

USPSA competitions are the one place my almost 13 year old son feels completely accepted and encouraged. Everyone is on his side and wants to help him improve. He doesn't get this at school, church or out in the general public. It makes his shooting companions seem like family. I love the people I shoot with and I am grateful for what they do for my son. Unconditional acceptance and care. Amazing folks for sure.

I see this same thing at my range -- young people being encouraged and accepted. This makes me very proud and happy to be part of the competition shooting community.

Dave sounds like an all-around improvement kind of guy!

Another uplifting thing for me is the cheerful and friendly people who just seem darn happy to be there, as I am.

Yes. The interesting thing to watch is his rapid improvement! There are several people that shoot here that don't seem to get faster or more accurate. Dave has gone from never shooting an S.C. stage to (3 1/2 months later) shooting really well in a match. He tends to be a really "details" guy. Guess that helps. Oh, and the 5000 rounds since Feb.!

Sounds like a case of talent and someone really developing that talent. Good for him!

• 2 weeks later...

At last Thursday night's club match, I watched a 12-year-old get the best possible score on a stage where we got 2 shots per distance, with four distances involved, starting at the closest distance and backing up after each attempt to take down two steel targets, of which there were a total of 8. The par time got smaller as you backed up to the next farthest target.

Young Stan was one of only six shooters -- out of a total of 60 that night -- to get the best possible score.

He received quite the round of applause of cheering after that last steel fell down. I had to shake his hand! Three men who followed him left one standing, including yours truly.

Edited by GunBugBit

I see this same thing at my range -- young people being encouraged and accepted. This makes me very proud and happy to be part of the competition shooting community.

I don't often +1, but this thread had me smiling in agreement!

One of the things I've found is that shooters are by far the most friendly crowd of competitors on the planet. I've been shooting competitively for just over a year. As ivr progressed from shooting in the 30s and 40s top top 5 at my club and a genuine chance to win each match those I've passed have been excited for me and were the first to cheer me on and give me congrats. There is no better group of people than the shooters Imo

• 4 weeks later...