Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MDs -- what would you do?

Nimitz

Had my first instance of a missing score sheet for my SC match this weekend and am contemplating whether I should refund the shooter's match fee or not ...

At the end of the match each squad turns in their timer & clipboard with all their score sheets attached to me. I dump them into my match utility box along with my cashbox & other supplies & then sort everything out when I get home. Even if I were to try & compare registration forms against score sheets at the end of the match (I'm not planning to do this) people leave once teardown is done so I most likely wouldn't be abler to fix this kind of thing anyway.

My question is: would you refund this shooter their match fee back?

I would. Shows a lot of what you are when it comes integrity. The shooter, although disappointed, will appreciate the effort on your part to make it right. Others will also.

yeah, I wasn't going to make it public since that is exactly what I am worried about .... "don't really care about my score so I'll be sure it doesn't get turned in and get a refund ..." of course the 2nd time it happened to the same shooter I'd get suspicious ...

I probably would give them free entry to the next match. OTOH, we only charge $3 for club members and $5 for outsiders, so it's not like they won't be able to feed their family.

We didn't really have that problem back when we were still using paper (seems like a long time ago, but really only a couple years), because individuals handed their scoresheets to ME when they were done.

Nowadays we are using practiscore, with no paper backups, so there is always a chance that something could go awry. I've given people a free entry a few times when a particular shooter's score got hosed up for some reason, but mostly I stay on top of it by synching every 15-20 mins and keeping an eye on who still needs to shoot what.

Are you sure its a MIA score sheet issue?

I've had people leave before they finished the match and not tell anybody. So the reason you didn't get a score sheet for an individual could be for something other than it went missing. This is particularly irksome later that day when I return to the range and search thru the office/shed/buckets looking for something that didn't exist in the first place only to find out later via email that so-and-so left early and should have been marked DNF.

Usually at that point I'm not in very much of a 'giving' mood and a refund is the last thing on my mind. Fortunately most of our shooters most of the time mostly let me know if they have to bail early.

If you know who the shooter is maybe send them an email (or call) and see if they have the score sheet or know what happened to it. Possibly they still have it or may have tossed it for whatever reason. For outlaw matches tossing the scoresheet is kind of a "who cares" thing, but since I believe your match is a sanctioned SCSA match you have some financial and score reporting responsibilities the steel shooters may not be aware of.

So, as mentioned before, if you can talk to them first that would be good. If it appears the loss was not the shooter's fault then I'd offer their match fee back. It might also make the club Match Chairmen reporting easier since there really is no evidence that person actually shot the match. "Withholding match fees" (comping them) at their the next match might make reconciling the match tally sheet with the club a little confusing. That would be up to you, though.

Stuff happens. Whoever it is I am sure will be understanding (unless it was me, than I will rain a wrath of fury down upon our hard working MD as if there was no tomorrow! Ha!)

unfortunately i don't know anything really except there was no scoresheet when i got home ... could be any of the things you all mentioned ... it was not a club memer and there was no contact info .... e-mails are requested on scoresheets not registration forms so i currently have no way to check.

once scores are posted hopefully they will contact me ....

I like the idea of offering a free shoot at the next match as our accounting methods can account for non-revenue shooters ...

unfortunately i don't know anything really except there was no scoresheet when i got home ... could be any of the things you all mentioned ... it was not a club memer and there was no contact info .... e-mails are requested on scoresheets not registration forms so i currently have no way to check.

once scores are posted hopefully they will contact me ....

I like the idea of offering a free shoot at the next match as our accounting methods can account for non-revenue shooters ...

If the shooter doesn't complain, I don't even worry about it much. Usually those are folks that had to leave early or otherwise just didn't feel like turning in their sheet. Seems like we get 1 or 2 of those every few weeks. I was only talking about folks who asked about their missing scores.

true, if a person doesn't even ask about where their scores are they probably don't care that much .... we'll see what happens and I'll be prepared to offer a free entry if needed next month ....

true, if a person doesn't even ask about where their scores are they probably don't care that much .... we'll see what happens and I'll be prepared to offer a free entry if needed next month ....

Be proactive and contact the shooter and ask about the missing score sheet. That's what I would do. If he says he has no idea what happened to it then I'd offer to let him shoot the next match for free to make up for it.

unfortunately i have no way to contact them which is why I'm debating courses of action ...

In that case it's simple. Post results that you do have and if/when he shows up again or contacts you because he's not listed then deal with it at that time.