Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me pick a 230gr plated bullet. FP HP RN?

CZspeed

Ive searched and read plenty. I know there is always a new thread asking similar questions and thats how i got to where i am now. I've narrowed down my choices to a few but im new to the 1911 and need help making a decision. I want a 230gr plated bullet for my Springfield TRP 5" barrel. I might try 200gr later but for now im gonna stick with 230gr. Also I understand many people like to shoot lead but i cant so here are the choices im considering. I havent found a 230gr plated SWC. Prices listed are really an issue; i just pasted what i had typed up in my notes. I most likely wont be competed with this load but i practice with intent so its all the same to me. If it matters, I'll be using VV N320 and LPP's

Thanks for any opinions

Powerbond

-230 FP $125
-230 RN $130
-230 HP $133

Xtreme
-225 FP $115
-230 RN $120
-230 HP $130

Berry's
-230 RN $145

EDIT:

Rainier

-230 RN $120

-230 HP $136

EDIT#2:

I'll be using Redding Comp Pro dies

Edited by CZspeed

I've been through what your dealing with and gave up on SWC and only load Rainier plated 230 RN. They cycle great and are priced within my budget.

Thanks. I dont know why i skipped over these. Any reason for RN over HP?

Not every pistol feeds HPs reliably. I prefer the Truncated Cone Flat Base profile for rounds I'm going to use for any competition other than Bullseye. They always feed reliably and are accurate at lower velocities than RN. So of the choices you list, I'd use the Xtreme 225 FP.

The Extreme FP bullets shoot a lot like SWC. I believe their accuracy is very close to equivalent in a 5" 1911. I can't really tell the different in the Extreme RN and HP bullets. They both seem to be OK, I just can't tell the difference.

I'd go FP if i wanted a hole cutter similar to a LSWC and equivalent accuracy.

The Extreme FP bullets shoot a lot like SWC. I believe their accuracy is very close to equivalent in a 5" 1911. I can't really tell the different in the Extreme RN and HP bullets. They both seem to be OK, I just can't tell the difference.

I'd go FP if i wanted a hole cutter similar to a LSWC and equivalent accuracy.

That's kind of what I was thinking. But I've seen a lot of good reviews on rainier's quality/accuracy so I'll just have to make up my mind and pull the trigger ?

I prefer the HPs myself. I have used the Xtremes by choice over the past several years as they were the best out of my guns. I use the same powder and primer and have been very pleased. Likely going to move to E3 this year though.

If you decide on the Xtreme's, the code "MAP2015XB" will get you another 5% off even if on sale.

If you want reliability, it's hard to beat round nose. I have a Dan Wesson that will eat just about anything, but also have a Rock Island that chokes on SWC and HP, so I generally stick with RN.

I recently picked up some RMR 230gr RN, have gone through about 600 rounds so far and am very happy with them. Their prices are competitive with Xtreme (even a couple bucks cheaper if you look around for a discount code), their shipping is fast, and they claim to be thick plated.

http://shop.rmrbullets.com/

Edited by rev1911

For whatever it is worth, I found coated lead to be appreciably more accurate out of my Dan Wesson than Xtreme Plated. I know you said that's not an option for you, but if it's not a requirement put forth by the range, I would look at making it an option. It's also a little bit cheaper.