Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230g Lubricated LRN and Clay's

TDA

I'm trying to use up some .452" 230g lubricated LRN's and am picking up what seems like quite a bit of barrel leading shooting them in a P220 Sig with 3.5g of Clay's at 1.2" OAL. (Clay's shows 3.5 as Min and 4.0 as Max for 230g LRN) By quite a bit, I shot fifteen rounds and the first 3/8" of the rifled area is coated in lead.

I'm new to this reloading stuff, but I loaded up ten of the lubed LRN's, ten of Berry's 230g plated, and ten 230g jacketed rounds, all using 3.5g of Clay's in my 1911 and the lubricated lead have quite a bit more felt recoil than the others. Would this be normal?

I was hoping to use these in my P220 to cut down a bit on using my 1911.

Any suggestions to cut down on the leading, or should I just ignore it and keep shooting?

Thanks

I shoot tons of cast lead bullets, even dabbling in casting my own. I've put thousands of 230gr LRN though my SA RO and my S&W 625JM. Neither have had leading issues with my standard major load of 3.9gr Clays at ~1.250. So lead and Clays are a well behaved combination in general. I would expect the issue to be elsewhere.

Depending on the source of your bullets, I suppose it's possible you have some very soft lead bullets. I'm used to shooting from a local manufacturer that advertises a 16 Brinnell on their packaging. That's a typical hardness for general purpose cast bullets. But if you got these through a trade or from someone who dabbled in casting it's possible they didn't alloy the lead up high enough.

I don't know that over crimping lead would promote severe leading, but we're always warned not to over crimp. So make sure you're just crimping enough to basically straighten the casing back out. I generally set my crimp to .001 less than the case just above the crimp -- just enough to have a measurable narrowing of the crimp and no more.

Last, but not least, you'll also hear people who otherwise shoot lead successfully say they have one gun that just doesn't like lead (as in fouls badly). I assume the issue is maybe the barrel lands or rifling aren't cut as smooth and develop more friction with the lead. Or something like that.

Anyway, those are some ideas. Good luck!

The bullets are 18 BHN.

Product Type: Bullets
Caliber: .45
Grains / Weight: 230
Description / Style: Round Nose Hard Cast Sized & Lubed Lead
Quantity: 500
Manufacturer: Rocky Mountain Reloading
New or Pulled: New
Brinnel Hardness: 18

I'll try some of these in my 1911 and see what happens, but I tried some lubed 200g LSWC's in my 1911 and quickly switched to coated LSWC's due to leading. That was with 5g of Red Dot though.

I haven't had any luck with lubed lead so far...

Thank you for the replies!

I'll try a Min load (4.5) of Universal to slow things down a bit.

Also have the following if one of them might be more suitable.

Bullseye

N320

Blue Dot

700X

HP-38

WSF

Edited by TDA

I loaded up 20 rounds with 4.5g of Universal Clay's and the barrel looks clean and they felt good.

I'll probably try some of the other powders as well while I'm at it.

I ended up with a couple thousand of these Cast LRN's, so I'd like to find a suitable load for my pistols and put them to good use.

Thanks for the help!

It turns out that the barrel on my P220 is .4523" and the bullets are .542", so that doesn't help much as far as leading.

I guess I'll try the Clays loads in my 1911 and see what happens, as it has a .451" barrel, which is what I used when I tried the Universal loads.

I sure would like to figure out a way to use these bullets and Clays with my Sig though, so I just loaded some up with 3.3g of Clays rather than 3.5. I may try 3.7 or 4.0 and perhaps a bit of obturation may take place and possibly seal up a bit better. :mellow:

I use Bayou Bullets. The green coated ones. It is a 225 gr fp. Load with 4.1 of Clays. I run a bore snake through it two or three times and it is clean. I beleive that the bullets you are using are too soft.

Call Donnie at Bayou or email him (great guy) will help you.

Thanks,

Mike

Pretty fat bullets ( .542 ). I have never loaded .452 lead bullets for my 1911. I always thought they were cowboy bullets like for a 45 long. I load .451 and never have leading problems.

My understanding is that a lubricated lead bullet should be .001" larger than the bore for proper sealing.

I use Bayou Bullets. The green coated ones. It is a 225 gr fp. Load with 4.1 of Clays. I run a bore snake through it two or three times and it is clean. I believe that the bullets you are using are too soft.

Call Donnie at Bayou or email him (great guy) will help you.

Thanks,

Mike

These are 18BHN lubricated lead bullets. I wish they were coated! I have had no problems at all with coated bullets.

I ended up with a couple thousand of these and would like to use them if possible.

Thanks!

Polygonal barrels lead up more than standard rifled barrels from what I understand.

I had to research that.

Both my 1911 and Sig P220 have conventional grooved rifling.

Thanks for pointing that out!

• 3 weeks later...

It turns out that the barrel on my P220 is .4523" and the bullets are .542", so that doesn't help much as far as leading.

. If your bullet measurements are correct...you have the wrong bullets. Buy a Shiloh rifle and a cowboy outfit. Or....the less amusing option is to trade them to somebody that already has the aforementioned stuff. Edited by Yeti

When I shot a few thousand cast bullets that weren't the right hardness for the chamber pressures that my load generated, I had to clean the leading deposits out of the barrel with copper "Chore Boy" filaments wrapped around a bronze brush. These deposits can cause the pressures to sky rocket so be careful.

Doug C. suggested Bullseye powder and you listed that as one of the powders that you have, so why not try it?