Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding a rug in the shooting area

Tubguy

I had a competitor want to place a rug in the shooting area because he want to drop his mag on it. I know you can not change the shooting area, but I was not able to find it in the rule book. Can you post the rule number for me?

Thanks

I don't think 451 covers it. The competitor asked to do it he didn't just do it. I would think if it doesn't come into play in the actual negotiation of the stage it would be OK. I would allow it unless it took time to track down a rug etc. Of course the shooter needs to man up and just drop those mags. We shoot on concrete all winter and many a nice mag are dropped over and over. Part of the game.

i have asked to throw down a spare target (ie cardboard) or even my coat when kneeling positions are required. old guy with surgery on both knees. i understand knee pads are allowed (though when i just searched the rulebook nothing popped) but why should anyone have to kneel in gravel and brass where the opportunity for scrapes and cuts are very possible.

I know this doesn't pertain to the rug issue but we have a guy who wears a pouch on his belt and drops his mags in that so they don't hit the ground. Slows him down a little but he's not going to be winning any matches anyway.

I think the rule clearly states this. When I took my RO class, Goerge talked exactly to this. If he puts a rug down, it's a procedural.

Rule 4.5.1

Really? This rule is meant to stop shooters from putting marks on the ground for their positions, moving the stage items, or gaining an advantage of some sort hence the procedural. Putting a small rug down to stop the mags from getting beat up is a reasonable request. As long as it doesn't give the shooter any sort of competitive advantage or changing the surface for shooters after them, I just don't see it. I see this the same as putting a rug down for prone positions or using something to protect your knees on kneeling positions.

Furthermore, if it would be something that has a procedural before the buzzer, it would be easy enough for the RO not to start the shooter so no procedural. I'm not arguing with you but I just don't see this as being reasonable and with the intent and spirit of that rule.

I think the rule clearly states this. When I took my RO class, Goerge talked exactly to this. If he puts a rug down, it's a procedural.

Rule 4.5.1

Really? This rule is meant to stop shooters from putting marks on the ground for their positions, moving the stage items, or gaining an advantage of some sort hence the procedural. Putting a small rug down to stop the mags from getting beat up is a reasonable request. As long as it doesn't give the shooter any sort of competitive advantage or changing the surface for shooters after them, I just don't see it. I see this the same as putting a rug down for prone positions or using something to protect your knees on kneeling positions.

Furthermore, if it would be something that has a procedural before the buzzer, it would be easy enough for the RO not to start the shooter so no procedural. I'm not arguing with you but I just don't see this as being reasonable and with the intent and spirit of that rule.

Agreed. And like I said, he asked permission. If he gets it how is it a procedural? If he doesn't, oh well. I would still allow it.

• 3 months later...

Rule 4.5.1

Would putting down gun bag be a procedural too.

4.5 Rearrangement of Range Equipment or Surface..... Did a rug rearrange the surface?