Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What exactly would changing the recoil spring do

DagoRed

Hey guys,

Trying to decide if I want to change my recoil spring. I did some searching here and other places and I think they answer is it's supposed to help it shoot flatter. When I ordered replacement recoil springs (springfield trp/trophy match, basically same guns run #16) I ordered 15 and 14 too to try. I saw a chart on Dawson's that recommends 14-15 for major power loads in 45.

So my questions:

1. would changing the recoil spring do anything?

2. is it worth it, considering it sounds like there is a risk of damaging the frame from too much pounding? (I have read the recommendation some have of going to recoil shock buffs to give a heads up if the spring is too light by their being destroying fast. but I haven't gotten any right now).

Last, if it would make a difference, should I not do it before a match, only do it when I'm going to have time to test results first?

I haven't shot either of the guns in a couple of months (they were out) but I had changed the TM to a 15lb before one match. I don't know if I could feel a difference but in watch a video my buddy shot it looked like the gun was running pretty damn flat.

Thanks all.

Red

I didn't change mine for feel. I changed it because with the heavier recoil sorting, the front end of the gun dipped as it returned to Barry causing me to take longer to get back on target. If the front sight is selling back on target, don't change anything at all

Are you shooting reloads or factory ammo? If reloads what is your PF. For major 45 14 pounds is probibally the most common go "downloaded" major ammo in 45 ie 170-175 pf. With factory ammo where power factor is in the 190s a 16 pound isn't bad

I run 14lb conventional springs in my 1911 45s. It handles 170-175PF loads perfectly and also ejects minor loads at 140-150PF. I have also shot some factory with the 14lb spring and there was no battering.

Recoil springs are not the only thing that affects slide speed and muzzle movement. So does the firing pin stop bottom radius, and your grip on the gun. You could also try progressive springs and see if you like that recoil impulse better.

I run a 15lb spring in my TRP. I find the front sight returns to its spot smoothly. You can also see the gun has less muzzle flip. I do use a shock buff and they last the life of the recoil spring easily.

You'd have to be running some HOT loads to damage a forged frame 1911.

I haven't chrono'd my latest rounds but I'm going for major plus a few FPS to be sure. I'm just trying to dial things in. I'm gonna take the springs w me to chrono loads and compare them right there w some bill drills. Thanks guys

For some reason I worried the stainless wasn't as tough as carbon

Red

Funny but why the different spring rates recomended for the same power factor between .40 and .45? Most say 12.5 for .40 and 14 for .45 but if the same power factor why?

To even make it sound stranger, I'm using an 8lb spring in my 9Major Open gun at 172 PF...