Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grease (slide-glide) vs Oil - which is less clean-up?

techj

On my 1911's (45's, bullseye powder, coated bullets) I've been using oil without any problems...other than clean-up as the oil with powder residue seems to go everywhere. No reliability problems.

Would switching to slide-glide (lite) on the rails and lugs reduce, make worse or no impact on the clean-up?

FYI - I usually shoot about 200-300 rounds per range session and like to field strip/clean each time.

Thanks!

Clean up should be the same either way. Grease stays where you put it much longer than oil, but it does collect residue and debris more readily. Easily wiped off with a rag and reapplied at every cleaning.

When I'm shooting my Open gun (STI TruBor) lubed with oil,

my optical sight gets splashed with oil. When I use Slide Glide,

no splash.

Doesn't answer your question, but there is less splashing of

oil with Slide Glide.

I usually clean my gun every 300 rounds or so, and haven't

noticed any difference in cleaning them with oil or SG. :cheers:

I make my own grease. I blend synthetic oil with high pressure chassis red grease that's really tacky. I mix it half & half most of the time, depending on the temperature I'll be shooting the pistol, I'll mix it a little thinner for cold weather. Clean up is a breeze. Residue just wipes off. Gun runs like ball bearings on butter.

Almost any oil will work. Grease works but if you do high round counts between cleanings you'll get a carbon build-up (lapping compound) that can accelerate wear.

I recently tried Fire-clean and like it a lot. As advertised, it does in fact make cleaning quite a bit easier.

My go-to if I'm out of that is Mobile 1 10W30.

Eta: I do like Slide-Guide on the sear/hammer interface.

Edited by R.Elliott

Would switching to slide-glide (lite) on the rails and lugs reduce, make worse or no impact on the clean-up?

FYI - I usually shoot about 200-300 rounds per range session and like to field strip/clean each time.

Thanks!

Clean up is similar. Since you clean often you would be a good Slide-Glide candidate. Try it.

I use a light grease like a Slide-Glide Lite on the rails & lugs. Works great on all pistols, but brand new/very tight pistols or during sub 50 degree weather.