Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 1911 40S&W

wbyrd01

I am considering purchasing a Springfield 1911 that has been converted to 40S&W by Briley. According to the gunshop it was purchased in 1994, sent to Briley, then put in the owners safe. It was never fired. It's stainless and came with a factory magwell and has a NM serial number. I don't know which model came with a magwell in 1994 so I'm not sure what model this one is.

I want it for competing in SS and am not finding many 1911's in 40S&W. Just wanting to see what others think about this purchase. Good idea or bad? Possibly a guess on value?

Thanks.

Good or bad purchase depends entirely on the price. Anything under $600 would be an insta-buy for me. More would need some other details:

What configuration/model number was it before it went for the conversion? Starting with a stainless GI vs a stainless Trophy Match is a huge difference. I'm not sure about the factory magwell either, but it's a good sign. What other parts are currently on it? Call SA with the serial number and they should be able to give you some details about it.

Does it have the paperwork/receipt for the conversion?

The price is $1,400. I asked the gun shop what model it was and all he could tell me was 1911A1. There are no markings at all on the slide. The gun shop provided me with this information regarding the conversion:

1. supply and fit 40 Cal barrel 2. supply and fit trigger job single and double action 3. fit slide to frame perfectly 4. supply and fit spherical bushing, O.S. Mag release button, and installed Novak sights

I've emailed Briley asking if they have any records of the work but I'll also ask the gun shop if they can get a receipt.

When I first saw the gun I was pretty excited about it because I would really like to have a Springfield 1911 in 40S&W. But the more I think about it I'm just not sure if it's a great purchase or not. I'm now considering a Sig Sauer in 40, at least those come from the factory as 40 and would have a warranty, unlike the gun store purchase. I know I could have the SA custom shop build me one but that we be way over my budget and I don't have the patience to wait that long.

Check out the STI trojan. I think it comes in about that price point, from a very reputable company, with a no questions warrantee, and made in TEXAS! what more could you want?

The Trojan is another one I've been looking at. As stupid as this sounds, there's just something about it sharing a name with a condom that bugs me. It's probably the best gun for me though.

Wow, that's an easy pass. The joker that wrote the bit about double action makes me wonder if he didn't just copy something off the website whether it happened or not.

I would recommend a Sig Match Elite, STI Trojan or Para Pro Comp, figure 800 for any of those. Or start with an Armscor/RIA Ultra Tactical and have several hundred left over for custom gunsmithing if you think it needs it.

Wow, that's an easy pass. The joker that wrote the bit about double action makes me wonder if he didn't just copy something off the website whether it happened or not.

I would recommend a Sig Match Elite, STI Trojan or Para Pro Comp, figure 800 for any of those. Or start with an Armscor/RIA Ultra Tactical and have several hundred left over for custom gunsmithing if you think it needs it.

I was wondering about that double action trigger job too...

The Sig Match Elite is at the top of my list right now. I've found one for $918 which seems like a really good price for a really nice gun. I owned a Sig 1911 Nightmare in the past and really liked it. It looks like I can get an RIA for around $600. My Dad has one and seems to like it, but I'm wanting to get something high quality to begin with. I'm sure I could put a lot of money in to it and make it really nice, I'd just like to start out really nice. But I could be way off and the RIA would be all I need...

Also, Springfield actually made a factory loaded stainless model in 40, its been discontinued but you could probably get that for around 800 used.

If I could only find one, I'd probably pick it right up. Finding used 1911 40's isn't very easy. There's an STI Duty 1 for sale in the classifieds right now. It looks really nice, but something about the rear serrations bugs me.

Appreciate the advise so far. Keep it coming! If anyone has a line on a used one, please let me know.

~

The Sig Match Elite is at the top of my list right now. I've found one for $918 which seems like a really good price for a really nice gun.

I think you can get a much better deal, your numbers seem high. A search on GB shows that brand new Sig Match Elites and Para Pro Comp have sold for only 800.

It looks like I can get an RIA for around $600.

Again, there are considerably cheaper ones out there. But RIA has 47 different models/configurations too...

If I could only find one, I'd probably pick it right up. Finding used 1911 40's isn't very easy.

They're definitely not as common as other calibers, but there are readily available options.

You don't have your location posted, but local classifieds have good deals occasionally. There's a tricked out/worked over Trojan 40 with 5 mags for $850 in SC on Armslist.

Yah, all the time, it's how nationwide websites like Gunbroker exist.

Between private individuals, weapons can be shipped directly only if both parties are in the same state.

For out of state sales, the receiving end only has to be a licensed dealer with an FFL. So you talk to a local gun store, pay him a small FFL transfer fee, buy the gun from someone elsewhere in the country, pay him, the guy you buy from ships to your local gunstore, and you pick it up and fill out the paperwork there. Some gunstores have a house rule about the shipper needing to be a dealer too, but that's not a law at all.

Are you referring to the Springfield/Briley .40 model on Gunbroker? It also comes with 6 mags. I'm guessing Hunter's Trading Post got the gun in on a trade. Looks to be in great condition, but don't know if it's worth the $1495 they are asking. It's been listed for awhile.

Edited by JGus

Are you referring to the Springfield/Briley .40 model on Gunbroker? It also comes with 6 mags. I'm guessing Hunter's Trading Post got the gun in on a trade. Looks to be in great condition, but don't know if it's worth the $1495 they are asking. It's been listed for awhile.

That's the one. I got them to come down on the price by $100 with $15 shipping to AZ. I'm just wondering if a gun that's over 20 years old will be a good SS USPSA gun or if there are better options for me. Especially at that price.

Check out the STI trojan. I think it comes in about that price point, from a very reputable company, with a no questions warrantee, and made in TEXAS! what more could you want?

The Trojan is another one I've been looking at. As stupid as this sounds, there's just something about it sharing a name with a condom that bugs me. It's probably the best gun for me though.

I think it's a good name for a condom or a gun. Keeps you safe ;)

I'd pass on the modified Springfield. You've had a number of good suggestions, but the Trojan would not be on my list.

Care to share your list? I'm still trying to make up my mind. I did just find a used Number for $800 that looks pretty nice.

I own a Para Pro Comp and just got a SA 40 with the rear Novak. The previous owner had the SA custom shop checker the front strap at 30 lpi, he then added a SA magwell and it came with a adjustable rear novak sight. I paid 1200. For me living in Los Angeles and having no more Single Shot Exemption loop hole, I was good with paying the 1200. If I had to settle on getting just one? I would get the Para! Why? It comes with very good VZ grips, its 25 lpi checking front strap and has adjustable sights.

Add a magwell and you done, for now. Sure eventually you'll need trigger work and remove the PXT extractor but all that can wait. Adjustable sights are a big plus, no matter how junkie the LDA sights are, they are adjustable and can be replaced with better ones, if need be.

And the Para shoots pretty damn good! I use the Tripp 10mm Corey mags.

IMO

wbyrd01, I'm picky about my pistols. My second 1911 in 45ACP was a Sig Tacops from the custom shop. It has performed flawlessly. If they made it in 40, that would be my first suggestion to you. They don't. I am not a fan of their Traditional series of 1911. The slide to frame fit is lousy. That is the only model they make in 40. If the Match Elite you saw is tight, it would be a good choice. If loose, pass.

For under $900 I would buy this Para. http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/competition/proComp.php You can buy 9-round mags to give you an extra shot, or use 10-round Tripp mags if they work in your gun.

I would buy any factory Springfield from the RO up in 40, if available. I'd buy a used SA 40.

What I'd look for is good bones. Take a SA RO for example. Forged receiver and slide and good match barrel. It's tight, shoots great and is a great starting point. When the MIM guts start to wear, you replace them with better stuff.

While I didn't buy a Para, the shooters who own them adore them. One guy shot so much he shot his barrel out and is fitting another one. Slide and frame are still in great shape.

Another option is a 9mm. open the breechface to 40sw, rebarrel and presto. SA, RO's,(range officer) model, do not come in 40 cal. Only in 45 and 9mm. Maybe one day, the RO, will be available in 40 cal.

Or even a 10mm pistol, that would be easier, just rebarrel. Your lucky you live in AZ, you can get any gun you want! :)

I don't understand why RO models, are not offered in 40sw? SA used to make 1911's in 40sw?

The only down side of the Para's is poor quality control, my Para as good as it is and am glad I got, the MS housing hole in the frame is not even from one side to other side of the frame, its drilled at an angle!

And resale value of Para's is never as high as the SA guns. Sometimes you cant even give them away!

The price is $1,400

I would run away from that price. You could get a new STI Trojan in .40 for that price. I might spend $700 tops for the springfield.

I'm glad I asked! I was ready to buy it. Now the search begins again!

I think I'm gonna go with a 10mm and have a 40 barrel fit for it. There are a ton of used 10s out there. I seem to remember reading about Kimbers having issues several years ago. Anything to worry about there?