Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 1911 40S&W

wbyrd01

My Para Pro Comp did not have the PXT extractor. It came with the excellent EGW HD extractor. The rest of the fire control parts were crappy MIM, but they were replaced with Extreme Engineering Ultra light and Ed Brown safety. Gun is very accurate, and will feed an empty case.

My Para Pro Comp did not have the PXT extractor. It came with the excellent EGW HD extractor. The rest of the fire control parts were crappy MIM, but they were replaced with Extreme Engineering Ultra light and Ed Brown safety. Gun is very accurate, and will feed an empty case.

very true about the extractor.. everything else I changed too, along with a EGW slide stop.

I think I'm gonna go with a 10mm and have a 40 barrel fit for it. There are a ton of used 10s out there. I seem to remember reading about Kimbers having issues several years ago. Anything to worry about there?

Not if you are rebarreling. I consider all kimbers to require a good extractor and a firing pin stop (EGW), but that's cheap/easy.

I shoot a "team match II", which has the bomar rear sight. It's quite a good gun, actually. I've done more mods to it, but they weren't strictly necessary.

I've fitted SVI SS (bar stock) safeties and kimber SS (MIM) safeties, and the kimber part is like twice as hard, not even exaggerating a little. Like wear-your-file-out hard.

MIM can be amazing if done right. Most manufacturers that are using MIM at this point are doing it right.

There's no reason to decide on a gun one way or the other based on MIM vs anything else on new production.