Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Common Bond

ima45dv8

Me, too. Actually, I'm the most conservative, safest driver I know. Of course, I have no sense of direction. But I know this. Thus I'm not one of those guys who gets offended when his girlfriend - who has an excellent sense of direction - tells me where to drive. My attitude is, "Oh thank God, someone in this car knows where we're going." :D

I'm really not sure if I'm a good driver or a bad one. As Socrates liked to say "Let us define our terms".

Hypothetically, lets say a responsible motorist was operating a Chevy Z-71 4X4 on a winding, hilly, gravel road in an unpopulated area. And, that said motorist was proceeding safely along at about 75 MPH, because that is the reasonable and customary "un-official" speed limit observed along this particular stretch of road by the few who frequent it. The motorist in question is scanning the road about 1/2 mile ahead when he/she, espies a sizeable flock of sheep that have not yet detected his/her approach. Understanding what unpredictable creatures sheep can be, our motorist decides it would be best to finish the banana that he/she is enjoing and place both hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel.

Our prudent motorist, closing fast on the flock's position, eyes them warily. Dipping into a shallow depression between hills the motorist loses sight of the flock momentarily. Emerging from the depression seconds later and catching just a little air, the fully alert vehicle operator realizes immediately that this particular flock of sheep have unanimously adopted the world view that their lot in life would be a whole lot better on the other (left) side of the road and have decided, en masse, to pursue that new goal forthwith.

The motorist now has a dynamic situation to assess. Should he/she attempt to stop a 6,800 lb vehicle moving 75 mph on a loose road surface in less than 200 feet, or take the ditch on the left, apply more power, of which the Z-71's 5.7 liter Vortec has plenty on tap, and attempt to get past the flock before the truck and the sheep arrive at a common point of intersection? Let's say, for the sake of the exercise, that the motorist opts for plan "B", jinks the wheel hard left while applying full power and executes an awe inspiring powerslide, misses the rapidly approaching sheep by only a few feet and smoothly re-enters the established roadway a quarter-mile farther along, without doing harm to the company-owned truck or angry-land-owner owned sheep.

Is this motorist a good or a bad driver? If I knew the answer to that question, I might be able to acertain exactly what kind of driver I am. Hypothetically speaking......

Of course the next guy comes along and hits the slick spot left by the sheep as they "got the flock out of there!!!!" when scared silly by the 3000 pounds of Detroit steel screaming at the very top of it's voice, and ends up in a ditch in about the same area where you smoothly re-entered the main road.

But then we would call him a "bad" driver. :D:D:D

dj

To the company insuring the vehicle, I imagine that being a "good" driver means never actually having to do any "good driving". :rolleyes:

But, I've created another category I call the "practical driver". :ph34r: One who practices unorthodox driving skills, usually requiring 4 wheel drive, in order that he/she might be able to utilize such skills for the greater good, in an emergency. :D

It only take a few drivers and Mother Nature to shut down I-70, Hwy 40 (runs along I-70), AND atlest one other route...between me and home. One hour trip turns to four hours.

BTW, airbags seem to work. The girl that run into the 18-wheeler walked away fine. Car totaled, but still running. I got her to put it in park and shut it off...it was starting to smoke a bit.

"We are a species united by the common individual belief that we are each a good driver."

That caught my attention. I don't think I've ever heard anyone admit to being a bad driver.

Of course, I'm a good driver....      :huh:

My husband thinks I'm a good driver so it must be true. And it ain't just true love speaking. Before we were even engaged, he let me drive his 91 Corvette ZR-1 at a high speed driving course at Texas World Speedway. No gear head risks his ride for a squeeze. Life begins at 180mph!!

It is a HOOT! 180mph was only down the straight away mind you. But taking the first turn at 110mph was ALMOST as big a rush as shooting the perfect stage. BTW, the vette wasn't as expensive as you might think. Somewhere around $24k used w/ 25K miles for a "king of the hill." 'Course it led my husband to buy a house which was the bigger expense - he had to have a garage for his car!

I consider myself a good driver. My evidence for this is that I can drive the 10 miles to work in the dead of winter, into the rising sun (with all the associated glare), without scraping the frost off my windshield. All I need is that little one square inch portal way down low where the defroster clears off first. When the clear spot intermittently fogs over from my breath, I use that sonar Daredevil uses (or maybe it's spidersense?) to keep it on the road. Sometimes, when it's snowy, I'll use the rumble strip to augment the sonar. :blink:

In independent tests, playing Nugent really loud has been proven to defrost windows an average of 35% faster.

Of course, you can't hear, or feel, the rumble strip over Ted....... And then you end up driving about 40% faster anyway, so it may be a wash from a safety standpoint. :o

You are definately a good driver. Anybody that needs to scrape an area much bigger than a postage stamp , I worry about.