Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Press mounted bullet puller

I find myself in the position where I need to pull approximately 150 9mm bullets.

I was wondering what the preference is among the blue koolaid drinkers fro a press mounted ouller.

The 3 I am considering are the Hornady Cam Lock, the RCBS and the Forster.

As I don't have a single stage press, it will be mounted in an extra head on my 650.

Any preferences?

TIA

I have Hornady cam lock, in a Lee single stage. Pulled 50 9mm in about 10 - 15 minutes and will not go back to kinetic pullers.

Well, you will have to, if the bullet is pushed in too deeply, so the puller will not grab it. :)

I use the dedicated RCBS single stage press for that. Have both the Hornady and the RCBS pullers, and prefer the RCBS - better control and the feel of quality.

Edited by Foxbat

I have Hornady cam lock, in a Lee single stage. Pulled 50 9mm in about 10 - 15 minutes and will not go back to kinetic pullers.

Well, you will have to, if the bullet is pushed in too deeply, so the puller will not grab it. :)

I use the dedicated RCBS single stage press for that. Have both the Hornady and the RCBS pullers, and prefer the RCBS - better control and the feel of quality.

Will either work with lead bullets?

I don't use lead bullets, but did use the puller on plated ones, with no issues. You need to be a bit more careful there, of course, or the plating can split under the pressure.

I just ordered the RCBS bullet puller, along with collet's for 9 40 and 45. Also ordered the Lee cheapo press.

Included in that order are 3 lee Factory Carbide Crimp Die, these dies size the straight wall case while crimping.

Hopefully that will prevent the same seating problem from occurring again.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I just ordered the RCBS bullet puller, along with collet's for 9 40 and 45. Also ordered the Lee cheapo press.

Included in that order are 3 lee Factory Carbide Crimp Die, these dies size the straight wall case while crimping.

You may find the FCDs swage the bullets down and hurt accuracy. If there's a problem you hit while loading that the FCD fixes, you are probably better off correcting the root cause.

You may find the FCDs swage the bullets down and hurt accuracy. If there's a problem you hit while loading that the FCD fixes, you are probably better off correcting the root cause.

Thanks for the info Peterthefish.

I will definitely watch the accuracy. Probably mic the before and afters just to check.

I shoot lead and coated SWC in Bullseye, so that will be interesting.

I shoot 9 in steel, this were all my problems came up.

I purchased the FCD's based on the recommendation of of an old codger RO who's been shooting comps for many years. Mostly Steel and IPSC.

Since I also shoot informal bullseye, I will certainly keep an eye on the performance.

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

I also went the RCBS collet and the Lee cheapo. It works great!

I mounted it on a platform that has 3 of those lightweight olive bar plastic cups screwed into it. One for rounds to be pulled. One for powder, one for cases, and one for bullets. I place another cup inside the screwed down cup. Nothing gets knocked over and I can easily empty them. I quickly get a rhythm going.