Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metering WST

CaptRob

Had to switch to WST since Solo 1000 is unavailable. While chronoing today I was getting big differences in FPS. Is anyone else having problems with WST metering? I am loading on a Hornady LnL.

40fps is usually the most variance I have using WST on a Dillon 650 loading 4.8 to 1.180 OAL for .40.

I've seen variances like that before, but its always due to the Chrono and strange lighting conditions (too much sunlight, extreme changes in cloud cover, etc.)

I have used it with 45acp, 4.7gr. I don't remember by extreme spreads but it seems like they are in the 30fps range and the standard deviation is 12-15fps normally. but yes, much higher ES and SD compared to Titegroup or N320

I would think that WST would meter more consistently than Solo and I agree, that much variation would be felt or heard. If the shots all feel the same, I would look at the chrono. Are you using the sky screens? If the sky is clear you need the sky screens.

WST meters very consistently for me as well. Check everything on your powder drop assembly. I use an Ibejiheads 180 RNFP BB with 4.54gr at 1.20" oal. I'm at 950 FPS.

Edited by Stician

WST out of a LNL powder setup with no problems, meters very good not as good as 7625 but nothing does. I have dropped down to 3.9 with no issues and agree with chrono issues.

Latest 8 lbs jug of WST has been lower SD in my guns only a point or two but more consistant

Was your chrono under a tree that was swaying in the wind causing shadows over the chrono?

That will cause huge variance in the readings, just a thought

It would probably be next month before I could test this theory, but I could run some over the chrono by head stamp. I think I read that WST is quite volume sensitive, which I understand is the reason it is not recommended for 9mm. All my experience wth WST has been chrono'd with mixed head stamps.

As far as metering, it does seem to want to cling to the walls of the powder tube, but I have had excellent results with metered weight on both my LNL AP and 1050.

Thanks for all the input. I tried it again later in the day and the SD was 15 with an extreme of 30. I guess the sun must have been hitting the Chrono just right to cause an error.