Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel targets: What to get?

b1gcountry

Or club locks up the steel. What do you recommend for personal practice?

I am looking for opinions on brands and opinions on how many of each size you want.

This is primarily for fun steel match practice. I will need to transport it to the range each time.

Edited by b1gcountry

Paper plates are not a bad option. They are cheap, easy to transport and force you to call your shots. To often folks get in the habit of waiting to hear the hit on steel before transitioning to the next target, which slows you down.

GT targets sells practice kits

Ditto. GT sells great practice kits with enough bases, caps and plates to set up every SCSA stage one stage at a time. GT also makes some of the strongest and best ringing plates out there.

My wife and I don't have access to a range with the depth for full-size targets. We're using 8" and 12" targets from Shoot Steel including their 2x4 mounts. The Shoot Steel stands are heavy duty but expensive. We went with light stands from Gongshot, fine for our 9mm 147gr loads.

Wow, lots of quick responses! I would prefer to make my own stands rather than buy them. I like the 2x4 options from shot steel and mgm. Looks like mgm wants you to buy their bases though. Haven't had a good look at the gt site yet. Will check that out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, lots of quick responses! I would prefer to make my own stands rather than buy them. I like the 2x4 options from shot steel and mgm. Looks like mgm wants you to buy their bases though. Haven't had a good look at the gt site yet. Will check that out soon.

Along those lines I still recommend MGM. They have been incredible to work with and offer a quality product. If you are transporting to the range all their stuff breaks down pretty flat. Easy to stack up and give you plenty of target options with just changing the target face. I find it very nice to be able to change the post length and get a different look and transition pattern.

My .02 cents

Grant