Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decisions decisions........

3djedi

How did you get your magwell so fast? I just got my shipping notice from stoeger yesterday and it's been about a month since I ordered it.

I ordered that magwell from henning. I think I got it around the 15th or so of March. I ordered the flat trigger kit at the same time and just received it on Friday (27th).....

Is the magwell out of stock now? (I must of got lucky!)

What a dilemma.......

b8fac3249d816bed478fcec786939510.jpg

Tanfo is prettier for sure!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Have you shot both yet?

Being new to the sport, I would think the STI would be the go-to shooter?

How did you get your magwell so fast? I just got my shipping notice from stoeger yesterday and it's been about a month since I ordered it.

I ordered that magwell from henning. I think I got it around the 15th or so of March. I ordered the flat trigger kit at the same time and just received it on Friday (27th).....

Which Flat Trigger kit did you order?

Ordered the medium kit Feb 2, still waiting. Maybe i'll get mine tomorrow.

What a dilemma.......

Have you shot both yet?

Why do you say that?

Which Flat Trigger kit did you order?

Ordered the medium kit Feb 2, still waiting. Maybe i'll get mine tomorrow.

I ordered medium trigger on March 3rd. Got it March 27th....

What a dilemma.......

Have you shot both yet?

Why do you say that?

Because the Apeiro is a Sight Tracker with a Schuemann ‘Island’ Style Barrel.

What a dilemma.......

Have you shot both yet?

Why do you say that?

Because the Apeiro is a Sight Tracker with a Schuemann Island Style Barrel.

That is true if you like a sight tracker, I like the extra weight of the all steel frame on the Tanfoglio which helps tame the recoil a bit better. Both are great guns so you can't go wrong either way. Both have their pros and cons but then so does everything else.

I put the henning flat trigger on last night and really like how it feels. When I went to the range today to test it out the gun wouldn't fire. The hammer dropped and everything but there was not even the slightest of dents on the primers. When I got home and took the firing pin out I found the tip was broken off. This is the henning extended firing pin and it's maybe 2 weeks old and 200 rounds. I'm thinking it broke in dryfire because I didn't have any issues last range session. However, I really haven't dry fired all that much.......... Does he warranty such items? Are these prone to breakage?

I haven't had any problems with his firing pins and I dry fire my guns frequently, both have been in my guns for over a year so they are the older style without the firing pin block cutout. Maybe a bad batch of firing pins? If they were hardened improperly then they may be brittle and prone to snapping.

I haven't had any problems with his firing pins and I dry fire my guns frequently, both have been in my guns for over a year so they are the older style without the firing pin block cutout. Maybe a bad batch of firing pins? If they were hardened improperly then they may be brittle and prone to snapping.

It is the new style, however, I removed the firing pin block. That wouldn't cause a problem would it?

Henning sent me a new firing pin. Should be here today. I've been using the stock pin with the light extreme springs with no issues. I use federal primers though......

The sti apeiro is much much tighter gun. No moment at all in the slide to frame and no movement in the barrel. Extremely tight! Super trigger as well and absorbs recoil better than the tanfo. However, I'm getting better results with the tanfo so far. I attribute that to the grips. The tanfo fits my hand better. The sti grip feels too fat and doesn't seem to index consistently for me. I even have a reduced grip so can't go any smaller with it.

Edited by 3djedi

• 3 weeks later...

OK after using both of these pistols I am 90% sure I am going to go with the Apeiro and sell the Tanfo. Has approx 300 rounds through it. If any of you are interested in it please private message me. I'm no 100% yet so I haven't put it in the classifieds. If you PM me, you can have first dibs.........

what swayed your decision. I like you think the STI's are better fitted/made guns, have more tuning optoins and better trigger but find myself going back to the CZ/tanfos as I like the all steel frame and I really like the grip angle/grip shape. I even quite like a pivoting trigger...

tough call. :) keep both!

The trigger and the sight tracker. The 1911 trigger is just phenomenal..... reset is super short. The sight tracker thing is pretty incredible as well. It's like the front sight never leaves the target! The recoil is a bit less on the STi as well. What I don't like about it is the grip. It's pretty fat and I have a little bit of difficulty getting a good solid grip with the weak hand when doing fast draws. And I already have a reduced sized and undercut grip for it. It's also more difficult to reach the mag release. As far as fitment, there is no comparison. The Apeiro is TIGHT and solid feeling. It feels like a Lamborghini and the tanfo is like an old 70's toyota. lol

Actually, I really like the tanfo. I like the slim grip, the balance of the gun, and it seems index a bit better for me. I love the look of the gun. It really is a tough call....... I think the tanfo could hold it's own against the sti's in competitions...

Is the grip angle different? I didn't really notice.....

What type of load data did you get yours to make pf?

I am still working on getting a load adjusted accordingly and have only put about 75 rounds through mine since I got it completed. I am using 180gr MG CMJ bullets loaded to 1.145oal (yes they run reliably in the short amount of rounds I have tried) with VVN320.

In my custom 2011 and my 1911 I am running the same bullet but at 1.185oal with 5.2gr of VVN320 at 170pf. Since I have to shorten the oal of the round I started with 4.6gr and 4.7gr but not close to pf yet. They are hitting right around 888-900fps.

I loaded up some 4.9gr and some 5.1gr loads to test out today to see if I can get to 170pf, which is where I like to be. But the gun shoots well and is very accurate, no malfunctions or anything like that so far. The one thing I'm not sure of is the Henning magwell seems to be a bit soft. Just in practicing dry fire and reloads the magwell has some dings in it and the back part of the magwell has a little groove dug into it where the retaining pin has rubbed it while doing mag changes.

I'm going to take my 2011 out and compare the two today. I'm not sure I can justify having a 4k$ gun sitting in the safe when I can have 2 limited guns for 2800$ and have the exact backup gun to my main one....decisions decisions...and I am mainly a production and single stack shooter too but that McLearn gun is really really nice!

Edited by Prov1x

I find it strange you many people love everything about their double-stack sti/svi, para, or whatever, except the width of the grip and the fact they want a metal frame, yet so few ever look into Caspian frames...

What type of load data did you get yours to make pf?

I am still working on getting a load adjusted accordingly and have only put about 75 rounds through mine since I got it completed. I am using 180gr MG CMJ bullets loaded to 1.145oal (yes they run reliably in the short amount of rounds I have tried) with VVN320.

In my custom 2011 and my 1911 I am running the same bullet but at 1.185oal with 5.2gr of VVN320 at 170pf. Since I have to shorten the oal of the round I started with 4.6gr and 4.7gr but not close to pf yet. They are hitting right around 888-900fps.

I loaded up some 4.9gr and some 5.1gr loads to test out today to see if I can get to 170pf, which is where I like to be. But the gun shoots well and is very accurate, no malfunctions or anything like that so far. The one thing I'm not sure of is the Henning magwell seems to be a bit soft. Just in practicing dry fire and reloads the magwell has some dings in it and the back part of the magwell has a little groove dug into it where the retaining pin has rubbed it while doing mag changes.

I'm going to take my 2011 out and compare the two today. I'm not sure I can justify having a 4k$ gun sitting in the safe when I can have 2 limited guns for 2800$ and have the exact backup gun to my main one....decisions decisions...and I am mainly a production and single stack shooter too but that McLearn gun is really really nice!

The loads I have for my glock 35 worked great in the tanfo. 4.5g of titegroup with a 180g xtreme HP with an OAL of 1.135".... I chrono'd the load through the tanfo and was getting 170PF with it.

Same experience here. The Henning magwell is pretty soft and the limited amount I dryfired with it has caused quite a few dings!