Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Minor question

rmj339

Fairly impossible question to answer by anyone other than yourself. It will be different for every shooter. Some may struggle greatly with maintaining speed and accuracy at the higher PF. Others may not notice as much difference. Also depends on how fast you are going to start with....

I shoot Minor in 3G and 9Major in USPSA. I haven't logged the times but they are very close. However, one is iron sights and one is a dot so there are times when I'm faster with the Major than the Minor. Not that I'm all that fast...just saying! :)

I have a buddy who used to use a Glock in Minor and then switched to a Glock in Limited Major, his times weren't that much different either, especially after he got accustomed to his Major load.

It really depends how you work up a load and then get use to that and practice.

I believe that over the years here on BE, I've seen GM's

write in to say they have NO difference between light

recoiling 9mm's and heavy recoiling .45's = matter of

grip and strength, I imagine.

For me, there is a difference, but I have never measured

how much - would depend on the weight of the gun, and

the actual loads used, and the target size/distance, I

would imagine. :cheers:

currently doing bill drills with a 1911 in .40 in minor and major, the differences weren't as great as i thought they would be, but we are talking

6 shots at a relatively close target without transitions , etc

I'd be willing to bet its irrelevant. The amount of misalignment that you can have and still hit the A zone should account for the added front post lift between 40 and 9 unless you have an absolutely terrible grip.

I can pretty reliably do a 1.7-1.8 sec bill drill now, and 9/10 times the time lost/gained is all on the draw.

I'd be willing to bet its irrelevant. The amount of misalignment that you can have and still hit the A zone should account for the added front post lift between 40 and 9 unless you have an absolutely terrible grip.

I can pretty reliably do a 1.7-1.8 sec bill drill now, and 9/10 times the time lost/gained is all on the draw.

ya but you shoot a SS in open occasionally

I think it matters two ways....

First, if you don't get a great grip, it is easier to fight through it with a 9MM.

Second, at distance, you really notice how much more your sights move with major. The time it takes for the sights to settle down at say 50 yards is surprising if you shoot them back to back. Not many 50 yard targets out there but you get the picture...

Second, at distance, you really notice how much more your sights move with major. The time it takes for the sights to settle down at say 50 yards is surprising if you shoot them back to back. Not many 50 yard targets out there but you get the picture...

the sights do move more for me shooting major, but i'm not convinced it takes any longer for them to settle.

the sights do move more for me shooting major, but i'm not convinced it takes any longer for them to settle.

I only really notice it at distance when I shoot them back to back.

I was doing some 7 yard Bill drills recently with some rental guns to compare against my personal guns and got the following average split times:

RIA 1911 Govt, .45 ACP =0.250 sec

NightHawk 1911, .45 ACP (rental) =0.228 sec

CZ 75 TS, 9mm minor (rental) = 0.224 sec

RIA 1911 Govt., .45 ACP added slide mounted RDS = 0.220 sec

STI open gun, 9mm major = 0.174 sec

STI open gun, 9mm minor = 0.164 sec

I was really impressed by the NightHawk 1911 rental, but for that kind of money, I'd buy a new open gun.

I shot production for about a year with a 34 shooting 124's. Then recently switched to a 35 180's with no magwell or nothing extra. My bill drill times and four aces times where the same. And at matches I can't tell either, but I like the extra points I'm getting. If you are trying to win limited shoot major.

Edited by Onepocket

I switched from a major 1911 to minor, and where I saw the gains were in how I attacked the stage. I had more rounds that didnt beat me up as much. It may be all in my head, but it worked. My scores improved. I switched back at practice for fun and the difference between the two was drastic once used to minor.