Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best optics for rapid target acquisition

Logger

I shoot in a Two-gun indoor 22LR league, with steels targets on racks at 23,16 & 8 yards. Typical guns are an M&P AR15-22 and a Ruger Mark III, which is what i use.

For pistol optics, i use a Burris FastFire III, and can shoot pistol as fast and as accurately as almost any other contestant.

My rifle has a Burris MTAC 1x-4x scope, well mounted and stable. My issue is that sometimes i shoot very quickly and accurately, and at other times i tend to miss, or acquire and shoot targets slower. Don't know if it is me, the scope or something else. My eyes seem to work better with a dot rather than a circle, and i think that might be the issue. Any ideas or thoughts on improving would be gratefully appreciated.

I'd be slow to blame the optic. Make sure the rifle fits you (think shotgun). Close your eyes and mount the rifle. The dot should be just about centered on your target, if it's not, then adjust the stock/cheekpiece so it is. Don't know what size targets you are using, but at those ranges, you almost shouldn't need a sight.

Up close, with the pistol, the reflex rules. I like the reflex sight, but there is no zoom factor; it is all 1x.

Do they make a zooming reflex, or do i need a 1x-4x scope with just a dot instead of a reticle??

I'd be slow to blame the optic. Make sure the rifle fits you (think shotgun). Close your eyes and mount the rifle. The dot should be just about centered on your target, if it's not, then adjust the stock/cheekpiece so it is. Don't know what size targets you are using, but at those ranges, you almost shouldn't need a sight.

I know what you mean, but the gun mounts pretty quickly. From stepping forward and picking up the gun off of the platform, I get off my first shot within 3 seconds and it is usually a hit. But going target to target to target is where i lag. Targets are 4" squares, 6" circles and 9" tall sillouetes, with a few smaller targets thrown in. Everybody uses a reflex or a scope, mostly scopes on their rifles.

And age is part of the problem perhaps. I am 64 and am trying to get as good as three very skilled shooters in the league. Using the scoped rifle/reflex pistol combo, I have finished as high as second, but not consistently.

logger, we run a 50 yard 22 plate shoot at my club. Ten shots total. Two 8"x8 plates at 25 yards, 7 "4"x4" plates at 50 yards and one 6" stop gong. Three second penalty for a miss, fastest time wins. All of the winners are using a 22LR rifle with a red dot. Magnification is not needed for 50 yards, and it slows you down.

logger, we run a 50 yard 22 plate shoot at my club. Ten shots total. Two 8"x8 plates at 25 yards, 7 "4"x4" plates at 50 yards and one 6" stop gong. Three second penalty for a miss, fastest time wins. All of the winners are using a 22LR rifle with a red dot. Magnification is not needed for 50 yards, and it slows you down.

Thanks for sharing ZZT. Sounds like a fun shoot to me. Ours is an indoor night shoot, and every one of our 15 or so shooters uses some form of magnification, except the guy who almost always finishes last. Perhaps i should crank it back from 4x to 2X and see what happens......

So how do you guys shoot 22 plates with 10 shots? Ours is 33 steels with 40 rounds, and a 5 second penalty for any targets left standing.

Edited by Logger

Steve RA has been giving you good advice. Your shooting a real fast game and using two different reticles. Your asking your brain to go back and forth between the two. Get the same dot reticle on your rifle and things will get better.

Excellent point M Peltier, and Steve RA. I have never shot fast with rifle or pistol. This is very fast, and to win you need to be shooting steels every 4/10's of a second.

What about a red dot reflex with a magnifier in front? I have tried a red dot on the rifle, but would miss too many of the skinny silhouettes. We only get six misses...

Hello: A C-More with a 6MOA dot will get you there. Adjust the scope or the stock so it lines up perfectly when mounted. I use a Ruger 10/22 with a Nordic AR conversion and it is very fast with the C-More. I have tried different tube scopes and the C-More is faster for me. Thanks, Eric

You don't need a magnifier, that would be slower in my opinion. You just need to slow down just a touch on the tight shots to guarantee a hit. A slightly slower hit will always be faster than a fast miss at the end of the run. I would assume if you thought about it you would feel rushed on those shots, this would indicate your forcing the shot an instant too soon. Back off your speed a touch to find a good cadence or rhythm that feels confident your shot will result in a hit.

A good thing to do in practice if your able to, is do a run at a comfortable cadence (record these times) then do a few runs faster than your ability (but safely) not making up any shots, Focus on the front sight and be aware of your slide moving and target transitions etc just accepting your misses. No need to record these times. Then do a few at a comfortable cadence again. As your mind and vision accept what fast looks like your times in the comfort zone will get better.