Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips on how to not forget a target in a stage

MilkMyDuds

Last weekend I had the usual jitters on the first stage. On the last position I engaged the activator popper for the swinger on the right, then switch left for another popper then kept sweeping right on 2 paper targets. I quickly looked to make sure the steel had gone down then ULSC and holstered. When I picked up my magazine I realized it had more than 1 round in it like it should. Uh oh... I activated the damned swinger but never engaged it. Yep, I forgot the target that was waving at me. I had skipped over it from my plan because it was taking too long for the popper to fall. Stick to the plan (or in my case, plan better!)

Check out the below thread I started about how to break down a stage. If you follow this process you won't forget any targets.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204084&hl=

"The closer your mental or physical dry fire rehearsal stage time is to your live fire stage run is, the more effective the rehearsal is going to be."

I never even considered this and am anxious to try it !!

Great read.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a hard time remembering everything too in this situation, I try to watch the squad ahead of me if I can. I think only having 8rds in the mag helps because I plan my magazine drops accordingly, I can remember the 3 or 4 places I plan to drop a mag usually and that will remind me if I shot enough targets. does that make sense?

I did that ONCE, and earned a procedural penalty for thinking ahead like that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sticking to you plan is important. Last year was my first year of shooting USPSA and I gladly accepted coaching from more experienced shooters. However, on one local match I arrived early and helped set up for the match. On the stage I helped set up I developed my plan as we were setting it up. When my squad got to the stage an experienced shooter tried to coach me on how to shoot the stage differently from what I had planned. While I appreciated his help I didn't want to change my plan. He was a little offended but I still say shoot your plan unless it is clearly flawed.

I missed a whole section last Tuesday night....I walked it, I practiced it, the opening for that part of stage was a little off but not that bad, I even knew where my foot had to go so I would be in a position to engage.....blew right past - the buzzer and desire to speed up got me. UGH - and yes, I was first up but had a plan and just blew up.

• 2 weeks later...

When I have to learn something fast, I revert back to a technique I used back when I was in Russian language training in the Army.

I'd repeat a word or phrase or string of sentences, both out loud and silently, as fast as I could. Then I'd take a big breath and do another burst of "reps". And again, and again, for as long as I had time to do it.

For a stage, picture yourself going through your stage plan as many times as you can -- which necessitates going through it fast for each iteration -- for as long as you have time, until it's your turn to shoot the stage. You can throw in a few iterations where you don't go fast if there's something you want to focus on, or just for a break in the fast thinking.

Obviously this requires mental energy but in my experience it is worth the effort.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some good advice here. I had the same problem in the beginning. Usually when I was trying to push and go too fast. Get a plan and run it through as many times as possible.