Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok, so now I'm (*&#*&^#$ off. Going to have to desig

I contacted Dillon about the 9mm/.380 brass jamming/spillage, and they sent me a "funnel" that they said would fix the issue. So yeah, they're aware of this problem.

First 3 minutes of operation, here's your funnel. 100% VIBRATION FREE mounting.

post-48714-0-44456500-1426269925_thumb.j

That metal tab needs pushed over to block the second drop hole

^^^THIS!^^^ That is what that metal tab is for. I had the same problem with my 550 case feeder until I adjusted the metal tab to only let one opening drop a case.

Now it will drop .380 thru 45 colt perfectly.

It was not the metal tab I moved mine all over, scroll down to my post on Dillon case feeder. Mine did it once per hundred give or take, after the fix not once in 4000 rounds. There are other posts on water falling brass. I stood on a ladder and watched it run for an hour to figure it out. I have been using a Dillon case feeder since they brought it to market, never a problem on my 1050, 650 was a different story.

My new 1050 has this issue. Weak design; the lower tube has a smaller opening so as the cases drop they tend to catch. I noticed the new tube had less of a taper at the opening so I 'countersunk' it more but it didn't help. I fixed it at least temporarily by folding a piece of Scotch tape back on itself half way up then sticking it to the upper assembly behind the leaf switch. I inserted the tube with the nonsticky part of tape inside the tube so the tape is forming a ramp over the lip where cases were catching.

Not a terribly elegant solution but neither is bending the metal clamp. The real solution is to make the top of the tube larger than the opening of the upper output. Easy; drop the metal bracket by an inch then heat form the acrylic tube so it has a larger funnel. But for now I'll use the tape. :)

A suggestion for those inclined. I posted this video on another thread but if you jump to 1:46 you can see a led beam break sensor that I rigged up to a power relay that cuts power if the beam is obscured for more than 3 sec.

I have these sorts of jams often with 9mm processing military brass. This works great. If the hopper fills and jams then the beam break will cut power to the case sorter and keep you from raining shells all over the place

Jump to 1:46 to see the sensor

Had a similar issue and this fixed it 100%.

Ditch the funnel.

The metal should be closed up more, much more.

Take the drop tube out and flare the inside to almost a point at the edge.

The factory flare was extremely non concentric and shallow on mine.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Live long and free or die

• 2 weeks later...

One or more of the parts have evidently been changed over time. This is what my 650 case feed looks like. (circa 1994)

Nice solution. Does that totally take care of it or do you get an occasional Jam?? depending on speed of the shell plate? Nice plastic work BTW!

A suggestion for those inclined. I posted this video on another thread but if you jump to 1:46 you can see a led beam break sensor that I rigged up to a power relay that cuts power if the beam is obscured for more than 3 sec.

I have these sorts of jams often with 9mm processing military brass. This works great. If the hopper fills and jams then the beam break will cut power to the case sorter and keep you from raining shells all over the place

Neat, but we shouldn't have to band aid sensors to fix a design issue.

Neat, but we shouldn't have to band aid sensors to fix a design issue.

Yea... totally agree. If you come up with a reliable design fix that you can fabricate...put me down for one!

Sarge.. could you post a picture of how you have this?

tia.. Dave

From the factory it was to the left all the way. Near as I can tell there is no way I could get two to fall through but it will hang up is two get in there. I recreated it by placing a few pieces of brass. The other pic is how I have it slid over so they don't occasionally hang up.

post-16683-0-39317700-1427471998_thumb.j post-16683-0-81440900-1427472013_thumb.j

tia.. Dave

From the factory it was to the left all the way. Near as I can tell there is no way I could get two to fall through but it will hang up is two get in there. I recreated it by placing a few pieces of brass. The other pic is how I have it slid over so they don't occasionally hang up.

attachicon.gifIMG_0464.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_0465.JPG

Perfect.. Thanks!

tia.. Dave

attachicon.gifIMG_0464.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_0465.JPG

The issue is not that they hang up with 9mm/.380. The issue is that a third case will stack between two cases in the collator plate, or a second case will ride on top of a case in the collator plate. When this happens, the case drops slightly crooked, and then hits sideways in the drop funnel, jamming the collator. Brass then stacks up and rains over the top.

One or more of the parts have evidently been changed over time. This is what my 650 case feed looks like. (circa 1994)

Nice solution. Does that totally take care of it or do you get an occasional Jam?? depending on speed of the shell plate? Nice plastic work BTW!

That is how my 650 came from Dillon in 1993. It looks like they have changed the shape of the funnel from rectangular to more round, and the insert for small cases looks different as well. The case feeder itself is also different, with a metal piece as part of the side wall. I never have a jam unless I get a case of different caliber than I'm loading mixed in.

Edited by mq105

The issue is that a third case will stack between two cases in the collator plate, or a second case will ride on top of a case in the collator plate. When this happens, the case drops slightly crooked, and then hits sideways in the drop funnel, jamming the collator. Brass then stacks up and rains over the top.

Strange that I have never had the problem with the "new" style collator but you might try a brush or spring steel inside the colllator to knock them aside. The one in the middle will be higher than the two in the feed plate.

I actually had the same problem with the collator I built for my brass sorting machine and that was a temp fix. A little more angle fixed it forever.