Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to use to polish stainless mags (tumbler)

mach1soldier

Don't know about a using a tumbler, you can use sandpaper. Start around 600 grit and go up from there. If you get to 1500-2000, they can be hand polished with a fine compound. Just lube the paper so it doesn't load up and stop working when you are using it.

Walnut or corn cob. I use walnut (fine grade) exclusively so can't really comment on corn cob. Use whichever with Nu-Finish if you have some. They won't look like they were buffed but it improves the look of mine acceptably.

Don't know about a using a tumbler, you can use sandpaper. Start around 600 grit and go up from there. If you get to 1500-2000, they can be hand polished with a fine compound. Just lube the paper so it doesn't load up and stop working when you are using it.

What he said! Todd keeps my mags tuned for me and knows his stuff! I highly recommend him for any mag work. I tried tumbling mine but if you want them shiny, shiny, you won't get there that way. They need sanded, sanded, sanded, buffed, polished, etc.........

I threw them in the tumbler. WIll see how it works.

Working up to 2000 grit sandpaper and then polish will be my next step.

Thanks for the help guys. Was hoping it would be a simple throw them in the tumbler monthly but oh well.

I threw them in the tumbler. WIll see how it works.

Working up to 2000 grit sandpaper and then polish will be my next step.

Thanks for the help guys. Was hoping it would be a simple throw them in the tumbler monthly but oh well.

Keep in mind, the shinier you make them the dirtier they look after you handle them. So you will be in for more "work" keeping them looking good but it's worth it. I like mine shiny.

Tried my STI mags which had been cleaned up by FGW when he built my gun a few years back in my tumbler with corn cob and nufinish. It did make a small difference, but it wasn't what I was after. The factory finish is too rough to go straight to a buffing wheel (and I have a 3/4HP baldor buffer). I bought some small (1/8" ish) ceramic media from mcmaster carr, put it in my vibratory tumbler and ran a mag tube for an hour or two. It came out with an even dull, smooth finish. As soon as I hit it with a buffer though.....WOW. Perfect mirror finish.

I tried walnut last night for two hours. Worked pretty well with polish but not much better then just a new factory polished mag.

I didn't try stainless because I'm pretty sure it is going to be a pretty satin finish instead of polished. I might experiment after next match. I think sandpaper and a bigger is the way to go.

I'm going to use the walnut to polish the insides every few months or when I get new mags. Otherwise I'll just leave them alone.

other then they will look nice, is there some reason you have to have them shinny. ?

polished externally they drop free better. Polished internally they feed smoother/more reliably