Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Auto Reset Mini Popper

MikeRush

I'm looking to pick up a popper of my own to practice on. I've seen the MGM, CMP, and others and am looking for feedback. I understand the shape or profile should be the same but stands and reset mechanisms vary.

Any preferences? MGM is very attractively priced but seems very small. I think I'd prefer something the size of an actual mini/us or even a full size. I can set it at 50 yards if I want a smaller presentation but can only bring it in so close for safety reasons. Shot my first major as an A and while it seems pretty easy to make A by just shooting matches its pretty clear to me if I want to do better than mid pack I'm going to need a practice schedule and realistic arrays to shoot up.

I glad you posted this Mike, I have been looking for a while also. I got a recommendation from a friend of mine who has the MGM auto reset poppers but it's not the really small one, it's the standard mini US Popper at 28". I just ordered two of them and should have them in this week or maybe next week. I can report on those after that. I dealt with a lot of other MGM and GT steel targets in the past and both of them have been top notch.

I just recently purchased some of the MGM auto-poppers in the "speed plate" form factor. They've been an excellent training tool for 3-gun thusfar. They take a pounding, and keep on auto-resetting.

Thank you for the feedback. I may pick up one of the MGM minis as it seems very trunkable, but I think I like the thought process behind the GT US popper better. I do have access to everything to make targets except a way to cut shapes without a lot of heat.

Maybe I'll hold out for a sale at MGM. It seems like they ran some good ones last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if MGM warrantees their targets with rifle use? I see they state rifle use with their 3/8" AR500, but Action Target only recommends handgun on the same rated steel. I've been trying to decide on a new steel target too.

Does anyone know if MGM warrantees their targets with rifle use? I see they state rifle use with their 3/8" AR500, but Action Target only recommends handgun on the same rated steel. I've been trying to decide on a new steel target too.

From MGM:

"...With that said, we all know and expect that targets shot with a center fire rifle will show a mark for every shot, and ultimately they will crater (because of multiple hits in the same spot), crack, break, and get holes shot through them. This is not a manufacturing defect, nor is it a defect in the steel, and therefore it is not covered by the warranty."

They do warranty them for life using pistol rounds.

I like these from RedStitch Tactical. http://store.redstitchtactical.com/precision-targets/auto-reset-mini-popper-base

I also have the MGM auto reset Colt Speed plate on the legs. Very easy to transport. Barely moves when shot with minor pf. Shot it tons of times with my 556 rifle. It is a tiny plate so it does force you to focus. I got mine at Turners for $110 on sale earlier this year.

I mostly practice using a static MGM 10" plate/stand they sell for Steel Challenge. I use a short 2x4 to put it at about the height of a Mini Popper, then mix it up with some paper in the drills I do. No resetting needed, and you definitely know when you hit it. I also have a MGM autopopper for AR practice, but have used the AP for pistol practice.

http://mgmtargets.com/steel-challenge/steel-challenge-10-round-target-set

I oversee my clubs supply of targets and props, and lately I've been contemplating setting up a box with a combination lock and leaving it at the range with a handful of target stands, sticks and one or two of the SC plate/stands in it for competition shooters to use for practice during the week. We could even add some shot up targets from the previous match that would otherwise just be tossed in the dumpster.

My club allows steel targets to be shot in select pistol bays, and we also have a couple of plate racks set up but those are semi-permanent and are not to be moved. I was thinking that if the folks we give the combo to are diligent about returning the equipment and not trashing it then why not offer this up as part of their membership. We'd still keep the bulk of the USPSA equipment locked up in the shed, but I was wondering if anybody else shoots at a club where they provide competition-type targets available for practice?

You guys think this is a good idea or would this end up being a reason why "we can't have nice things"?