Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on differences between CZ 75 SP01 and SP01 Shadow

G T

I picked up a used SP01 as a back up to my shadow. I plan on giving it to Mink to upgrade, but what are the differences?

From a post by eerw(Stuart) on 02 February 2014 - 07:52 AM (It won't let me post the link as I'm too new a member here but the thread title is "CZ 75 SP-01 VS SP-01 Shadow" Started by ntphd, Jan 25 2012 06:15 PM in the forum "Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo! → Technical → Factory Pistols → CZ):

-SP01-firing pin block, std mag release, std ambi safeties, 2 mags, tritium sights

-SP01 Shadow- no firing pin block, 85C trigger, ambi ext safeties, ext mag release, FO front, black rear 3 mags

---------------

I don't know if things have changed in the year since his post, or if his post was subsequently amended.

Thanks for the replies. The firing pin block is what I was unsure about. Since i plan on this being a back up gun some of the differences are not much of an issue. For 350 dollars I am happy.

I would not recomend using a regular SP-01 as your backup if you have a Shadow. The slight difference in reset with the firing pin block will cause you to short stroke the trigger after reset if you typical ride the reset on your Shadow.

As for the beveled magwell. I know the CZUB website says the magwell has rounded edges but when I looked at a SP-01 Tactical in a LGS recently, the magwell looked identical to my Shadow, I should probable take another look and have my Shadow next to it to make sure.

Slide serations are the same. The only real difference I can see is firing pin block and mag release. For the average shade tree gunsmith get a Stock Shadow(good luck :roflol:) and parts from David at CGW. If you have David at CGW do a trigger job I wouldn't worry about the firing pin block. Stock II have firing blocks and the top three production shooters at the IPSC World Shoot shot them. Firing pin block is a non issue.

I have a regular SP01 as a backup to my shadow. The difference is almost imperceptible but they are both loaded with every CGW and CZC part that can be shoehorned on there.

Hopefully, after this weekend I will have converted my backup SP01 into a full Shadow ;)

Now I just need to figure out how I am going to sell these SP01 slides ...

I have a regular SP01 as a backup to my shadow. The difference is almost imperceptible but they are both loaded with every CGW and CZC part that can be shoehorned on there.

Hopefully, after this weekend I will have converted my backup SP01 into a full Shadow ;)

I just converted mine. Are the slides worth anything?

I just converted mine. Are the slides worth anything?

I hope at least $300. I have 3 slides to sell, lol.

fpb guns can be made to work great. but as someone who has been DQ-ed from a state match for a tuned fpb failing a tech inspection, it's not personally something i would do again. all of my cz's for competition now are shadow variants or nothing at all.

fpb guns can be made to work great. but as someone who has been DQ-ed from a state match for a tuned fpb failing a tech inspection, it's not personally something i would do again. all of my cz's for competition now are shadow variants or nothing at all.

How exactly does one tune a FPB gun to cause it to fail an inspection?

Can't you use a backup gun?

Edited by himurax13

i didn;t bring a back up gun to the match. from my experience doing work to the lifter and the fp and the fpb can cause it to occaisonally slip, the fpb not keeping the firing pin from sliding forward when someone depresses on the exposed rear of the firing pin. that is what happened to me.

if i had a back up gun yes i could have used it. but the penalty for shooting the stages i'd already shot with a "non safe" gun was so great, the dq was almost a mercy killing.

also, having shot both fpb and shadow cz's, for competition, i will only shoot shadow variants or guns without a fpb. others may feel differently and that's cool. trust me, i can see the value of having a less expensive gun as a back up, having paid for two identical sp01 shadows to be built up and then brought into CA before i couldnt any more.

Edited by rowdyb