Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

henning flat trigger system, worthy upgrade?

3djedi

Be prepared to trim the sear leg a bit to enable it to reset. Always fit the slide while testing, as it may seem to work with the slide off, then will not reset once the slide is installed. Also, I found the stock sear spring to be incredibly stiff, resulting in a higher than expected trigger pull weight. Use a tool to lift the front of the sear spring then raise and push it all the way to the back, slightly stretching it and reducing its strength.

Can you describe a little more what to trim? i installed the trigger all was well, and then no reset while live firing. Take it apart, no problem. Slide on, problem. TIA
Is your pre travel screw all the way in?

The lower sear leg is what you want to file, you can round the front bottom corner, you can also file the flat face that engages the trigger bar. Doing that will increase pre travel then you can adjust with the screw so the trigger resets. Only take one or two passes with a file then re test. a little goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cvincent

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt "need" to, but the pretravel screw was all the way in, and wasn't able to take out any pre travel without filing the sear leg.

first pic shows the flat face that you can file, second pic shows the corner that needs to be rounded.

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

I love mine, its the medium and its as good as my STI Trigger with the exception of a slightly longer reset.I do have the EGW sear, EGW hammer and roller plunger in mine so the trigger is fantastic. I think you need the other items to unlock its potential IMHO.

• 7 months later...

Just picked up the Henning short reach flat trigger system. Installed over the holiday break and finally got a chance to shoot it today. Man, what a difference. My trigger breaks around 1.75-2lbs. Definitely worth the price. I just want to say Henning provides great customer service as well. I called to ask a couple questions and ended up spending a half hour on the phone with him getting expert advice and tips.

Only thing I need to tweak is the reset. It's a minor thing. Talked to Henning and he suggested an 18# trigger return spring. I'm going to give that a try.

Edited by cakedog02

I've had my Henning Flat trigger for about 6 weeks and 1,000+ rounds. I like it, far better than the factory. I have never had a failure to ignite* and have been using handloads w 3n38, Atlanta Arms Major 38 Super, GECO 38 Super and ArmsCor 38 Super Military Surplus. I initially had a reset issue* but with the help of Henning by phone, it was resolved.

I am using the factory sear, factory hammer with no modifications. I am using Henning FP, Guide Rod, Buffer and polished the plunger and trigger bar. I lube the slide with Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube II and apply Weapon Shield grease (sparingly) on the lugs.

I am not a gunsmith, so having Henning available to discuss the relationship between trigger, sear, safety and hammer and the available alternatives for successful integration.....was IMO worth the price. I left some pre-travel in the system to allow me prep the trigger during acquisition.

With these mods, it is my favorite handgun.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/u/SdF/Austin111Super38GoldCustom

I've had my Henning Flat trigger for about 6 weeks and 1,000+ rounds. I like it, far better than the factory. I have never had a failure to ignite* and have been using handloads w 3n38, Atlanta Arms Major 38 Super, GECO 38 Super and ArmsCor 38 Super Military Surplus. I initially had a reset issue* but with the help of Henning by phone, it was resolved.

I am using the factory sear, factory hammer with no modifications. I am using Henning FP, Guide Rod, Buffer and polished the plunger and trigger bar. I lube the slide with Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube II and apply Weapon Shield grease (sparingly) on the lugs.

I am not a gunsmith, so having Henning available to discuss the relationship between trigger, sear, safety and hammer and the available alternatives for successful integration.....was IMO worth the price. I left some pre-travel in the system to allow me prep the trigger during acquisition.

With these mods, it is my favorite handgun.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/u/SdF/Austin111Super38GoldCustom

What adjustment(s) did you make to resolve your reset issue?

I also didn't like the weak reset with the supplied return spring. I bought a few different ones and I think ended up using an 18 or 19.

I also upped the plunger spring from the super light one the trigger came with.

Edited by BeerBaron

Cakedog02,

My reset problem was resolved with a .018 trigger return spring and the filing of the head of the pre-travel screw. It was clear that I didn't have enough space (Tanfoglio V12 Platform) when I installed the Henning trigger. I took all the pre-travel out of it and I would still have occasional failure to reset. I could use my trigger finger, place it behind the trigger, push it forward and then a positive reset.

I spoke to Henning and we discussed filing the sear, purchasing EGW sear/hammer or removing the pre-travel screw altogether.

I'm a software engineer turned derivative trader and my years at debugging software convinced me to keep the variables to a minimum and forgo the sear options until I resolved the reset issue.

After installing the .018 spring, I removed the pre-travel screw, re-installed the trigger and the reset issue disappeared. New problem surfaced....the pre-travel was now as long as the original factory trigger $124.95 ago (ouch). I wanted to keep the flat trigger AND I wanted to limit the pre-travel, so I took the pre-travel screw, got out a flat 10x2 inch flat metal file and began the process of removing mass from the flat head of the Henning Pre-Travel screw. I did 2 passes at a time and reinstalled the pre-travel screw (all the way) and re-installed the trigger and tested (also tested the Safety each time). I'm not certain if it was 2 times or 3 times before there was enough material removed to give me enough clearance (with the help of the .018 trigger return spring) to achieve a consistent positive reset. After dry-fire testing proved successful, went to the range for live-fire confirmation. All systems go, I used red loctite to keep the pre-travel screw in place.

Keep in mind, if you take off too much material you will continue to increase pre-travel with no recourse to limit it, except for purchasing an additional pre-travel screw from Henning $11.95.

I have over 1000 rounds with this set-up and no failure to reset.

My issue may not be the same issues you are experiencing, so I recommend you reach out to Henning and get his input to help you resolve this. Also check out BeerBaron's response above, looks like he resolved it with swapping 2 springs and no filing.

Good Luck!!

** Caution ** This is an extremely accommodating trigger setup and IMO should only used for competition/range. Always test your Safety before each event.

Edited by Austin111

• 1 month later...

My gun just had this reset issue for the first time lately. It worked fine for a lot of rounds and now all of a sudden won't reset consistently.

Since it worked and now doesn't could it just be a weakening return spring?