Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice building lightest upper I can

Robert King

I just finished a similar build for hoser type matches and love it. Very fast. Standard forged upper and lower with a Faxon lightweight 16" pencil barrel/1-8 twist mid gas, Taccom .625 comp, Samson forend, Battle link minimalist stock, and Primary arms 1-6 scope/mount.Using a Taccom light carbine buffer and spring with a RCA adjustable gas key. A little tuning of the comp by drilling it out and adjusting the gas key and it shoots very flat with little recoil. Weighs about 7lbs. total. I have shot it in matches out to 400 yards with no problem.

gerritm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would update the thread with my final results. I know I could have gotten it a fair bit lighter if I was willing to invest more $$$, but I like the balance of weight vs. cost I hit.

Complete upper ended up at 48.25 ounces. I'm into a total of $690 with all new parts. Kept the price that low by using a blem handguard. I could have knocked off 2 ounces with a 2A Armament upper, but it would have added $200 to the cost. I could have knocked off 5 ounces with a carbon fiber handguard, but it would have added at least $125.

Anderson Sport Upper

Faxon 16" .625 Barrel

TACCOM .625 Adjustable Comp

Generic Adjustable .625 gas block

Odinworks 15" Handguard

JP LMOS BCG

Bravo Company Charging Handle

Thought I would update the thread with my final results. I know I could have gotten it a fair bit lighter if I was willing to invest more $$$, but I like the balance of weight vs. cost I hit.

Complete upper ended up at 48.25 ounces. I'm into a total of $690 with all new parts. Kept the price that low by using a blem handguard. I could have knocked off 2 ounces with a 2A Armament upper, but it would have added $200 to the cost. I could have knocked off 5 ounces with a carbon fiber handguard, but it would have added at least $125.

Anderson Sport Upper

Faxon 16" .625 Barrel

Odinworks 15" Handguard

JP LMOS BCG

Here is a pic.

Thanks for closing the loop on this. Very nice looking upper!

• 1 year later...
On 5/1/2015 at 8:15 PM, Robert King said:

Anderson Sport Upper

Faxon 16" .625 Barrel

Odinworks 15" Handguard

JP LMOS BCG

where did you find the .625" adjustable gas block?
thanks!