Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

p320 feed issue

chetc

i have a new p320 full size, was out shooting it today, the problem i was having was when i put the mag in a close the slide the first round wont feed. the load was a 124 gr extreme plated FP bullet. the oal is1.100 i have no issues with extreme 124gr RN bullet at a oal of 1.148 i was thinking of trying the shorten the FP load to 1.050 to see if that would help, any thoughts

Chet

ps after i get the first round to feed it performs ok with the remaing rounds

Edited by chetc

does this only happen with a full mag and only the first round? does it load with a 1/2 full mag? does the round noes dive into the feed ramp? more info is needed to help you out.

Your OAL should be determined by the push test(see link) not just jumping 0.050. and going that short will add more problems

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

does this only happen with a full mag and only the first round? does it load with a 1/2 full mag? does the round noes dive into the feed ramp? more info is needed to help you out.

Your OAL should be determined by the push test(see link) not just jumping 0.050. and going that short will add more problems

looks like the tip runs into the feed ramp and will not go up in the chamber

it happens with 5 rnds or 10 rnds in the mag, since the weather is bad here now snowing ect, i will load a few dummie rounds and see what i can see is going on, i did the plunk test and no problems, if i have to stay with RN tips rather than FP tips ok no problem,

Chetc,

I am just now trying 147gr BBI that have a flat point in my P320 whereas I had been running 147 gr RN Xtreme bullets.

So far in have seen an issue with the BBI and I think I am loaded out to 1.14.

Let me call for backup on this to see if anyone else who has been shooting the P320 have experienced anything.

Let me add that I have about 2,000 round nose 147gr Xtreme down range with full sized P320s without issue but I only have about 50 BBI through my gun so far.

Edited by alma

the plunk test is not the push test

i realize what you are saying, i did the push test earlier, with the extreme 124gr FP bullet, i came up with 1.142, loaded a few dummies at 1.125 and they go in fine and for some reason the 1.100 do too now, wonder if the 15 deg weather had something to with that, but here in the 70 deg basement they work slick, you can see on the feed ramp where the plating contacts on the ramp.

Chetc,

I am just now trying 147gr BBI that have a flat point in my P320 whereas I had been running 147 gr RN Xtreme bullets.

So far in have seen an issue with the BBI and I think I am loaded out to 1.14.

Let me call for backup on this to see if anyone else who has been shooting the P320 have experienced anything.

Let me add that I have about 2,000 round nose 147gr Xtreme down range with full sized P320s without issue but I only have about 50 BBI through my gun so far.

hi Alma

i loaded some 147 SNS 147 FP with 3.5 w231 at an oal of 1.150 no issues and some 115 sns 115 RN with 4.5 W231 at oal of 1.100 no issues with feeding on these 2 loads but grouping was terrible.

question on my 124gr load with the plated RN or FP tips, looking for a little more power, i am currently loading 4.0 of w231 would i see a little more snap at 4.2 grs i had one or 2 shots where i felt some sort of double click and had to pull the slide to get the next round in and was ok, maybe the gun needs more rounds thru it, had a feeling the slide did not get into full battery position, that is why i am thinking a little more powder to get the action to slam a little harder

When you close the slide, how do you do it? Do you use the slide release, or do you pull it back and release it by hand? I ask because it's possible to ride the slide a bit and rob it of some of the energy that the recoil spring imparts. Considering the 15 degree weather and depending on what you lubricate with, that little bit of energy loss could be why it runs fine after that first bullet but not when you initially load it.

I was originally thinking that since the gun is new, the magazine springs may be a bit stiff, requiring a little more force to strip the first round. But since you mentioned that it does this with either 5 or 10 rounds in the mag, that's probably not the issue.

Edited by JAFO

We spoke briefly and it sounded like the cold might have contributed to some of the symptoms since he tried the same drill with the same ammo when he got home and it chambered.

Chetc, I wonder if the double click could have been because the slide was slightly out of battery and the first trigger pull that released the striker brought the slide forward followed by a second "click" of the disconnector resetting.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

i realize what you are saying, i did the push test earlier, with the extreme 124gr FP bullet, i came up with 1.142, loaded a few dummies at 1.125 and they go in fine and for some reason the 1.100 do too now, wonder if the 15 deg weather had something to with that, but here in the 70 deg basement they work slick, you can see on the feed ramp where the plating contacts on the ramp.

if push test came up with an OAL OF 1.142 then why did you load up at 1.100? 1.125 is what you should be trying.

if push test came up with an OAL OF 1.142 then why did you load up at 1.100? 1.125 is what you should be trying.

hi CZ

i loaded at 1.125 and they fed perfect, we were shooting today here at a indoot range, this gun is for my wife, she went thru 130 rnds of different loads, and found the 125 gr RN bullet by Blue bullets with 5gr of unique shot the best with the 147gr SNS casting with 3.2 gr of titegroup close second, so far my wife is liking the gun, she shot my gen 4 glock 17 and was saying the grip felt better for her, so i am going to try the sig small module frame. and take it from there, so far being a mech engineer i feel the trigger mechanism is over engineered and is going to be costly to get the trigger near my 3lb glock, now these guns are for target shooting only, not a carry gun, hope someone is on the bandwagon for a softer trigger for the p320.the gun is on par accuracy with the glock. next time to the range i am going to see if i can manage shooting off of a rest

chet

Edited by chetc

just a report on todays shooting the new P320 at the range here in NEPA 26 deg weather, finally got the gun to put together the best groups of all my 4 striker fired 9mm's, i did a minor mod to the trigger assembly and knocked off approx 2 lbs of trigger pull, groups came together and a trigger that is smooth and very easy to shoot, and thanks to Alma on his 147gr load, starting to really like shooting this gun and i am working on it for my wife, she tried the trigger in the basement and was a big difference over the heavy stock trigger which was approx 7lbs.

Chet

Edited by chetc

i did a minor mod to the trigger assembly and knocked off approx 2 lbs of trigger pull, groups came together and a trigger that is smooth and very easy to shoot, i am working on it for my wife, she tried the trigger in the basement and was a big difference over the heavy stock trigger which was approx 7lbs.

Chet

don't keep us waiting with baited breath ... how'd you mod the trigger? :D

vactor let me do some more testing before i get into it, i stopped at this trigger pull, maybe i can go more not sure, have to buy another part from sig, if all goes well i will mention the mod, i want to be sure of 100% RELIABILITY first. so far as i mentioned 150 rnds an no flaws

CHet