Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for info from Toyota Tacoma owners

I'm having a truck top put on next week and there seems to be conflicting info on forums etc whether or not the plastic covers that run along the top of the bed stay on or get removed. I know in the past with traditional trucks if you had a bed liner in it you had to have the type that did not go over the top if you put a cap on. All of the pics I can find don't show any black trim under the cap but the cap may be designed to go all the way down over it? The shop putting it on doesn't do many Toyotas so they seemed a little unsure as well.

Maybe there is a toyota service or sales person on here that deals with it occasionally if somebody wants one on a new truck when bought?

I'm also putting a bed slide in it and will be drilling the composite bed floor. Seems that is not a problem as long as I know what is on the other side. Just wondering if anyone has long term info on drilling the bed such as cracks developing etc. I'll put some big fender washers on it to spread the pressure out.

This may or may not help: I've got the plastic covers with flat ridges and grooves on top on my Tundra's bed. I installed a Diamondback Bed Cover -- which goes on top of the rails and has a very large, silicone rubber seal on the bottom edges of the cover that interfaces with those plastic covers. I get a teensy bit of water into the bed, after installing dual tailgate seals -- not enough to really puddle, just enough to leave a damp or wet spot in a couple of places. We've traced it -- Carol in the bed, me spraying the cover/bed rail interface with a hose to those grooves on the top rail covers.

I've considered yanking them but don't necessarily want the silicone to adhere to the metal in winter and potentially freeze to it, as I do open the lid on occasion.....

If the Tacoma is anything like the Tundra -- you'll take on a lot of water around the tailgate if you haven't sealed that yet.....

Kevin, I have an ARE cap on my 2007 double cab long bed. The ARE cap I got was made so the sides of the cap were molded over the edge of the bed and covered up the black bed on the rails. As far as removing the rails I would say the manufacturer of the cap should have the answer but honestly if I had to cut them off I would go with a different cap. As you can see in the pic below the cap I have covers up the bed on the rails. It should be easy as mine is in super white.

Neal in AZ

post-922-0-31760600-1425061859_thumb.jpg

Kevin, it appears that it is an option during the install of most covers. What people have stated is all accurate. Issues can be encountered. For example, if the cap is installed on top of the plastic protectors, the weight of the cap can crush them down and cause a sharp edge to start rubbing the paint on the bed side. This can wear through and cause rust to develop. Since the cap may hide that with its profile, you may not know of the issue until it shows or the cap is removed. Some people take them off. Others remove them and install protective material between the plastic and the bed then install the cap on top.

I have a 2010 Taco but mine has a RollLock cover on it and is flush mount with the bed sides. I give up a little room for the roll up front but it locks up solid and does not change my vision from the cab. There are times I have wanted a cap though.

I will add that my little brother is a service manager at a large Toyota dealership. I called him to ping the question off of him with his experience in service. He has not gotten back to me as of my typing this. If he has anything useful to add, I will forward that to him.

Are you a member of TacomaWorld? There were a couple threads discussing the topic there.

I have a 2006 Tundra (love the body style) 4 door. When I had the bedliner sprayed in I had the top rail of the bed sprayed for protection. If and when I sell the truck, the cap will go with it so no worries about looks at the time of sale.

Customer Service Midwest Leer <customerserviceMWL@truckgroup.com>
4:46 PM (42 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Our caps were made to go over the bedrails. If you remove them, the cap will hit your truck and damage it.

My rail covers are the same style. Saw a Tacoma with a cap on it today, while stopped at a light on the way to work. His cap extended down over the side of the bed a little bit, so if you pushed the cap toward the passenger side form the driver's side a lip on the side of the truck bed would prevent it from slipping off. Don't know if that helps, or what generation Taco or which cap it was.....

Customer Service Midwest Leer <customerserviceMWL@truckgroup.com>

4:46 PM (42 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Our caps were made to go over the bedrails. If you remove them, the cap will hit your truck and damage it.

That's pretty cool. Good luck -- hope you're happy with the cap and bed slide!