Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing frame color

Wesquire

So I decided that I'm bored with looking at my all black G34, I'd like to change frame colors. I know of 3 commonly used methodes: 1) Duracoat, 2) Cerakote, 3) Krylon Fusion. I really would like to not spend the money on cerakote right now, so I'd like some opinions on Duracoat (the spray kits) vs. Krylon. I know Krylon won't last as long, but I don't mind refinishing. I just was something that won't mess up the polymer, and will feel close to the same as stock. I have no experience with either.

Thanks!

I do agree with the others that the Cerakote is the best option of those listed but if you go with a cheaper solution, it's very easy to get the Cerakote on later - its just a matter of the proper prep work mostly with the blasting.

Of course you can't dye black, I was thinking the sensible route of 3d printing a new, personal use and ATF legal Glock frame in white, and then dying that to one's desired color. I think a Techno-Rage party swirl would look pretty good. Of course, the frame could never be sold, but major props at the range are almost certain.

Seems like a viable option for changing the frame color, assuming the right plastic is fed through the printer.

Wait, maybe this isn't a good idea.

Edited by Whoops!

If you haven't noticed, Glock frames aren't 100% plastic, and thats probably for a reason. So you can probably give up on that idea too, at least in a practical sense.

The only chance you have is dying an FDE frame, assuming the plastic will even absorb it. But the end result will be muddy gray or black if you are lucky.

Edited by tonyxcom

post-13392-126524976523_thumb.jpg
post-13392-126524975339_thumb.jpg
post-13392-126524973109_thumb.jpg

Some pic's of my Duracoated Glocks (OD Green Frame....similar color scheme to Wilson Combat's CQB series)

The Duracoat I applied myself. Very easy. Has lasted the past 3 - 4 years with only some wear showing where my wedding ring rubs the front strap. (NOTE: They haven't been exposed to lengthy, harsh, outdoor conditions to truly see how the finish holds up).

I've used Krylon on weapons when overseas....it works....

If I decide to re-do my Glocks, I'd spend the few dollars and get them Cerakoted. Cerakote holds up a little better

(NOTE: The Duracoat air dries. Cerakote is baked on. The Duracoat seems softer than the Cerakote after applied...)

Hope this helps!

Z-

Some pic's of my Duracoated Glocks (OD Green Frame....similar color scheme to Wilson Combat's CQB series)

The Duracoa I applied myself. Very easy. Has lasted the past 3 - 4 years with only some wear showing where my wedding ring rubs the front strap. (NOTE: They haven't been exposed to lengthy, harsh, outdoor conditions to truly see how the finish holds up).

If I decide to re-do my Glocks, I'd spend the few dollars and get them Cerakoted. Cerakote holds up a little better

(NOTE: The Duracoat air dries. Cerakote is baked on. The Duracoat seems softer than the Cerakote after applied...)

Hope this helps!

Z-

How did you apply the duracoat? It seems to have held up very well. I might be interested in trying the spray duracoat. As far as colors, I'm thinking AI dark earth or Blackhawk coyote tan. Any thoughts? Edited by Wesquire

I'm a big proponent of the "krylon party."

It's nearly instant and if you want to chage it later it'll only cost you $6

If you're on Lightfighter Pat Rogers has a great write up on painting rifles (he's an advocate of aerovoe rattle cans)

The Duracoa I applied myself. Very easy. Has lasted the past 3 - 4 years with only some wear showing where my wedding ring rubs the front strap. (NOTE: They haven't been exposed to lengthy, harsh, outdoor conditions to truly see how the finish holds up).

Hope this helps!

Z-

How did you apply the duracoat? It seems to have held up very well. I might be interested in trying the spray duracoat. As far as colors, I'm thinking AI dark earth or Blackhawk coyote tan. Any thoughts?

you can buy a kit from Lauer Weaponry that comes with compressed air and small airbrush, or you can buy an airbrush at a craft store. The kit comes with directions. I made a small 3-sided spray booth out of a large cardboard box. Detail stripped the frames, wiped them down with degreaser and alcohol, then hung them in the "spray booth" and sprayed a couple of coats. Go thin, and use multiple coats as that gives best coverage without drips and run's.

if you go to Lauer Weaponry website they have a pretty large selection of colors.

Edited by zipper046