Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to get affordable steel targets?

nikelax73

I bought a set of knock down from this guy and when they showed up he told me had gotten AR400 by mistake.. Not oblige food he get me another set from ar500 but he also let me keep the ar400 for the wait. He's a smaller company with great stuff! Awesome customer service

http://www.moatargets.com/

I saw a whole bunch of hits come in from here, so I figured I'd back track and see what you guys were up to. Then I saw someone saying nice things about me, so I figured I better point out that I'm also exceptionally good looking, and handy with a rock hammer.

More importantly, I have data.

zvua3g0h.png

Hit blog.moatargets.com for a bunch of writeups I've done on steel targets, and feel free to ask questions.

I'm astonished at how many replies here have been to go with cheap softer steel. What you shoot at out behind the barn is up to you but I won't put anything in a match that is not AR500 steel. Even the slightest pit mark on a piece of steel will cause bullets and fragments to go in unpredictable directions. I bought from GT targets and they were pleasant to deal with and made a great product.

The cheapest thing is to try to find a local shop that did some military work during all the wars the last 20+ years. It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry did up armor projects for the military. I had some plates cut out of AR500 plate for around 10 bucks each.

I love my Evil Roy Stand w/ 8" AR500 plate from Action Targets. Definitely not the cheapest solution but there is a distinct line of lead at the base of it where the bullets go each time. I've shot pistol at 10 yards and 223 at 100 yards. Plus it folds up nicely and fits in the trunk. It's perfect for IDPA practice as it is the same size as the IDPA 0 down.

http://www.letargets.com/content/at-202-evil-roy-target.asp

Just food for thought. Even the "right" steel can be made "wrong" in the cutting operation. Hacking them out with a torch and cleaning up the edges can yield poor performance. Care with the steel can be seen in how it attaches to fixtures etc.

I've seen this a lot. I use a water jet to cut mine. No heat at all.

Yup, I use a 4KW laser. Nice sharp edges, effectively no heat affect zone, especially on 1/4 and 3/8".

Just food for thought. Even the "right" steel can be made "wrong" in the cutting operation. Hacking them out with a torch and cleaning up the edges can yield poor performance. Care with the steel can be seen in how it attaches to fixtures etc.

I've seen this a lot. I use a water jet to cut mine. No heat at all.

The code is JTMGM10 It is a code linked to one of their sponsored shooters, Jesse Tischauser. We get the discount and he gets credit for it. I believe the order needs to be over $250 for both the discount and the free shipping.

Awesome, thanks! The discount was 10% and shipping is free with most orders over $250. I got a few, thanks again!

I just recently ordered targets from arntzen, very happy with the turn around time and the product. Do you guys know of a shephards hook that will hold 8" plates and not dance around too much? The ones from home depot seem a bit thin.

I just recently ordered targets from arntzen, very happy with the turn around time and the product. Do you guys know of a shephards hook that will hold 8" plates and not dance around too much? The ones from home depot seem a bit thin.

The one we got from Lowe's wobbles with a bird feeder on it! No way they would hold up to that much abuse. Did they put holes in them for you?

• 4 weeks later...

It's definitely worth checking with local fab shops. There are some of us around that don't advertise targets, but have the material and equipment to produce them. I make all the steel for my club and sell some targets locally, but don't have the time to deal with online orders and shipping. I can sell waterjet cut AR500 cheaper than most online retailers are selling laser or plasma cut targets. Look for shops that have a waterjet or laser and you might be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are some good links here I didn't know about, I'll also mention JCSteeltargets.com. Bought a fair bit from him, flat rate shipping, fast, company is setup to teach marketable skills to youth (at-risk?), donates a lot to prize tables for rifle matches anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

The one we got from Lowe's wobbles with a bird feeder on it! No way they would hold up to that much abuse. Did they put holes in them for you?

It turns out the Home Depot hooks work very well. They have taken several hits with a 9mm and .45 handgun and show no wear at all other than some chipped paint. We did have to cut an inch and a half or so off the end of the hook to fit the targets on.