Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grendel AR project questions

RifleShooter

I am planning to build (or have built) a 6.5 Grendel AR-style rifle for long-range precision shooting. Since hearing about the Grendel cartridge, I have wanted one. I have had other ARs, but for various reasons I have not had a Grendel, which is okay as I never had the money to do it right. Please refrain from suggesting any other cartridge unless it fits in a standard AR-15 platform. I understand there are 'better' cartridges, especially on the AR-10 size chassis, but I don't want one of those right now.

Let me make a few things clear. I am not a sniper, nor will I ever be. I do not expect to shoot sniper-style matches any time soon. if ever. If ever I decide to shoot 3-gun matches, I will use another rifle. This is supposed to be fun, and my budget is not unlimited, but I want to have my dream rifle, and one really good Grendel would be worth more than a safe full of not-quite-what-I-had-in-mind rifles. We will be moving in June to Austin, TX courtesy of my employer. I know nothing about the 'shooting scene' out in Austin, but I hope to find places and people there that will allow me opportunities to explore the limits of my shooting abilities at long range.

I had a Geissele SD-E on my last AR, and it was my favorite trigger ever on any gun, so I am probably going to go with one of those. I love the two-stage for precise shooting, so single-stage triggers just do not impress me the same way. I have very long fingers, so even with the straight trigger, I loved the overall feel, and my finger placement, when using a Stark grip. Many would find the reach to the trigger much too long, but I felt it was perfect. The only trigger I know of with a similar reach is the POF EFP, which unfortunately for me is a single-stage.

I know that the Grendel was designed to give good results even from short barrels, but it seems every cartridge has a 'best' barrel length for a given application. In the long-range arena, is there a 'best' barrel length for the Grendel when using factory ammo? I am not set up to reload at the moment, although I would like to do so in the future.

I really want a side-charging upper, as shooting prone makes reaching the standard charging handle difficult, and I do not wish to break my nose trying to charge the gun. I have Parkinson's, and my coordination on my left side is not nearly as good as the right. Being a right-handed shooter, I would like to maintain my firing grip with my right hand while operating the charging handle with my left. It would seem that a side charging upper would be my best bet, so who makes the most reliable, easiest to use side-charging upper?

In a perfect world I would have loads of free Grendel ammo. Since our world is less than perfect, I would like to have a rimfire version of my Grendel as well. If I can have two uppers on the single lower, that would be great. Alexander Arms has a .17HMR AR, although they have warnings about using third party triggers with that upper. I have emailed them regarding using the SD-E with the .17HMR upper, and since I just sent my question today, I have no information yet. Whether the 17HMR would work or not, I would like to build a .22LR AR as well at some point. If I cannot have a .17HMR, I would like to build a side-charging .22LR. I want a dedicated rimfire barrel for whatever I get, as an inaccurate gun is only irritating to me, and if the gun is not reliable, I will stop taking it to the range. What is the most reliable, accurate rimfire AR set up currently? And can I use it with the SD-E trigger? If not, what is the most reliable, accurate rimfire setup that would work with the Geissele?

FYI, I had a Vortex PST 6-24, and I loved it a lot. I love the FFP reticle. I may get one again for the Grendel, unless I can find something only a little more expensive that is substantially better. Not knowing of anything near the price of the PST that has a FFP reticle and a lifetime warranty, I do not expect a lot of new options, but I would be happy to listen if anyone has ideas. It would be great to have only one scope that could be moved back and forth, but I do not really expect to move that easily between rimfire and Grendel. For a rimfire, the cost of the PST seems a bit high, given the max range of the cartridge. I could get a similar PST in lower magnification, or in a SFP configuration, but I would like to luse once scope. Are there any options for moving a single scope between rifles of different caliber and being able to reset the zero without starting over every time?

Thanks!

Arnie Elkins

rifles dot rock at gmail dot com

Mega side charge upper reciever, 20-24" Lilja barrel with Maxim bolt, and Youngs side charge bolt carrier. Handguard, gas block and muzzle device of your choice. Mate it to a lower with the trigger of your choice and you are in business.

Mega side charge upper reciever, 20-24" Lilja barrel with Maxim bolt, and Youngs side charge bolt carrier. Handguard, gas block and muzzle device of your choice. Mate it to a lower with the trigger of your choice and you are in business.

That sounds like an excellent basis for a build. I may use that for a Grendel of my own!

However, isn't that upper side charge on the right hand side?

Arnie was hoping to use his left hand for the side charging. Besides JP, does anyone else do side charging on the left hand side? That's a tough one. I'm not familiar with the industry to know the answer.

A LaRue mount will let you switch your scope back and forth, but you will have to rezero each time. It you keep good notes, when you transfer the scope, you can click it back to the setting for that rifle. I don't think it would be perfect, but I think it would be close enough that you could zero with just a couple shots. Michael I was doing that with the Bushnell on the small ar that you shot, and the big ar in 6.5. It is not the best way to go, but if you only have one scope, it might work ok for you until you can get another scope. I hate to hear that you are moving, our "career" was just getting started.

Edited by shooter steve

Arnie was hoping to use his left hand for the side charging. Besides JP, does anyone else do side charging on the left hand side? That's a tough one. I'm not familiar with the industry to know the answer.

http://6mmar.com/Left_Hand.html

This page has a few options. I'm curious if the receiver is stiff enough to allow a left side load, right side eject, left side charge handle though.

Left side load would be nice for rounds too long for magazine feed.

If you are set on the Grendel, check out Rich Dettelhouser at CanyonCreekCustom.com.

He has a custom build configuration for the Grendel on his site.

I'm sure he could put one together for you with a side charge handle.

I gave serious consideration to one of these myself, but I can't get around the concerns about components.

Brass is available but the 6.5 Grendel is still a fringe cartridge and there's no way around that.

Magazines and component availability may be sketchy.

I've never shot one but it sure looks good on paper.

Plenty of pics and videos out there with shooters getting great groups.

Hits on 1000 yd targets are not uncommon.

It seems to be about all the horsepower you could wring out of an AR-15 platform.

Edited by 38superman

Crosshill Technologies makes an Ambi side charging upper. Seems that a barrel around 22-24" would get as much velocity as you can get out of a gas gun safely.

Prvi makes some brass for the round that is the least expensive new brass I have found. Maybe not the most perfectly awesome around, but will send 6.5 projectiles downrange. Has large primer pockets, but again acceptable for decent-quality ammo.

Midway sells an "AR-Stoner" barrel with bolt for a very reasonable price. May not be the very most accurate (based on name alone) out there, but may be perfectly acceptable or even great.

I have the same SD-E trigger you mentioned in mine and I'm very pleased with it. Also a fan of the Stark grips.

Components are a non issue. Bullets and brass are plentiful and 8208 is the go to powder. I shot a DM series last year with my AR10 and my teamate used his Grendle. To say. I was impressed is an understatement. It hit steel just as hard out too 600yds in a lighter more maneuverable platform. I think it's the perfect tool for that game.

Components are a non issue. Bullets and brass are plentiful and 8208 is the go to powder. I shot a DM series last year with my AR10 and my teamate used his Grendle. To say. I was impressed is an understatement. It hit steel just as hard out too 600yds in a lighter more maneuverable platform. I think it's the perfect tool for that game.

Was that at Woody's in NC? Why do I feel like we met at that match. I met another shooter that had that very same story. If not, then clearly the same type of realization happens in different places.

out to 600, I think the ballistic numbers are clear, no doubt. Also, I've never heard of anybody not enjoying the act of shooting a Grendel. I think that is encouraging for the OP, on its own.

I hate to hear that you are moving, our "career" was just getting started.

You mean the career of you buying up all my old stuff? I have sold almost everything I had that was shooting related, so you would be out of luck anyway. Once I get my Grendel, the plan is never to have to sell anything ever again. LOL!

I like the idea of a 6mm AR based on the Grendel over the 6.5mm, but the 6.5 might give better barrel life.

Yup. The 6AR/Grendel/LBC is a good choice for games compared to the 6.5 version. A Berger 105 Hybrid going 2650-2700 is hard to beat. I really like mine.

Has anyone here usecd the Spartan left-side charge w/non-reciprocating charging handle upper as sold by Joe Bob's? It sounds just about perfect for what I want to do.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_Side_Charge_Non_Reciprocating_Billet_Upper_p/jb-non-recip-upper.htm

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Has anyone here usecd the Spartan left-side charge w/non-reciprocating charging handle upper as sold by Joe Bob's? It sounds just about perfect for what I want to do.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_Side_Charge_Non_Reciprocating_Billet_Upper_p/jb-non-recip-upper.htm

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Looks like a Gibbz (http://www.gibbzarms.com/g4-upper-receiver.html) but I don't have experience with either.

Check here : http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188010

and here : http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?8520-Side-Charged-Upper-Guide-Many-great-options-to-choose!

Edited by iainmcphersn

I like the idea of a 6mm AR based on the Grendel over the 6.5mm, but the 6.5 might give better barrel life.

Yup. The 6AR/Grendel/LBC is a good choice for games compared to the 6.5 version. A Berger 105 Hybrid going 2650-2700 is hard to beat. I really like mine.

Where did you get your barrel? I want to build one soon.

I was thinking of a 243 LBC barrel from Black Hole.

Arnie, have we handled any questions remaining? I don't want to highjack your thread.

If I had the budget, I'd definitely spring for a SCR-11 side charging receiver set from JP. I think they look awesome when I've seen the videos about them (and the LRP-07 big brother to them).

But, they cost serious money. They look like they operate very smoothly.....just really pricey.

Was that at Woody's in NC? Why do I feel like we met at that match. I met another shooter that had that very same story. If not, then clearly the same type of realization happens in different places.

out to 600, I think the ballistic numbers are clear, no doubt. Also, I've never heard of anybody not enjoying the act of shooting a Grendel. I think that is encouraging for the OP, on its own.

That was Woodys.. We got better each match and ended up 11th I think. I think the Grendle is perfect for that game.

A 6.5 Grendel is built on the AR-15 platform and it uses special mags The 17 is questionable in a gas gun while some suggest dangerous. Your best bet is a 22lr or the 22mag when it is developed..

I thought the Alexander 17 was a blowback? At any rate, a 17 would be a fun toy, and during the crazy ammo panic that was the only thing I saw on the shelf, but I will probably get a bolt gun for that.

I did not realize anyone had made a 22 magnum AR. Sounds like fun. Anyone have one? There appear to be several already.

Edited by RifleShooter

Iam right there with you, I built a 243 lbc ( 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm) to buck the wind a little more and shoot a little flatter. I'm shooting the 95 gn vld and it's a hammer on coyotes..

I am looking at building a 6mm-6.5 Grendel in the future. I think this also might be called 6mm AR. Remember that when you go with a ctg like the Grendel or 7.62x39 etc., something with a larger bolt, in the small AR platform you really start to stress the system. years ago when guys started messing with .22 and 6mm PPC. They worked but the weak point in the system was the bolt. I believe a Grendel bolt face is a little smaller but its still the weak point. I do think that the factory Grendel bolts should be a little better as they are made larger and then hardened. When and if I build my rifle I am going to keep reminding myself that I am loading for an AR which means that I will not be able to push as hard as in a bolt gun and to be gentle on the system.